PDA

View Full Version : gravel recomendations for a pool area

cedarcroft
02-21-2006, 09:14 AM
I am putting together an estimate for a residential customer who wants to clear a bunch of scrub brush and weeds from his pool area and install a nice looking loose stone bed. the immediate pool surround is a crab orchard patio. I have two questions: Anyone have a suggestion on a nice quality "river rock" type of smooth stone that will go with the crab orchard? (if not I am going w/ a 3/4" pea gravel)
and also, it was suggested by a friend that after clearing the area I should put a layer of RCA and compact it with a plate tamper prior to rolling out the landscape fabric. do you think this is overkill?

bigviclbi
02-21-2006, 10:42 AM
A crushed concrete or crusher run is a GREAT barrieir for weed control I've done this a few times.

MarcusLndscp
02-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Ballast stone

Az Gardener
02-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Out here we use crushed granite in H/S in Indiana we used limestone. Material will be limited to whats available. Don't bother with L/S fabric or plastic or whatever because as the rock decomposes/ breaks down the seeds that blow in will germinate on top of the barrier. Use a pre emergant. Smooth and bigger rocks are easier to clean /blow off.

Dreams To Designs
02-22-2006, 09:52 AM
What will the area be used for. Will people have to or want to walk on it? That will determine the size of the stone you use. 3/4" can be walked on, but is difficult. 3/8" is much better. If no access is needed, a good compacted base, topped with a large river rock will be cleaner and easier to maintain. You will however need to handle the drainage issue you will create. May not be a problem, but be aware of the potential for runoff and where it is going. I think what we call NY River Rock would compliment the crab orchard and tone down the use of the stone. You may want to leave areas to out planted containers for summer color around the pool area.

Kirk

cedarcroft
02-22-2006, 03:07 PM
the drainage is fine, everything will be pitched away from the pool and towards an existing drywell. it is not a walking area, so that is not a concern. I am going to be doing some planting and breaking up the stone beds with planting beds.
I cannot find a river rock that is not blue or gray tones. I just don't think that will go well with the beige and orangey tones of the crab orchard.

Dreams To Designs
02-22-2006, 04:34 PM
There is a common stone I find at stone dealers here called beach pebble. It is much lighter in color than river rock and is sometimes called white pebble. I have also used a crushed stone called eastern sunrise. It is reddish brown tones.

http://www.bridastone.com/crushedstone.htm

Kirk

YardPro
02-22-2006, 05:41 PM
from a company that also maintains pools.. i strongly reccomend a larger (3-5 inch stones...
smaller stones can pass through the main drain cover, and cuase severe dammage to the pool plumbing...

also make sure you use a clean stone NOT CRUSH AND RUN.....

the dust from the crush and run will stick to people's feet and make a mess of the pool..

cedarcroft
02-22-2006, 07:43 PM
yard pro,we are only using the crushed concrete as a solid base to inhibit weeds and provide a clear even surface for the gravel on top. the area in question is not against the pool, it is really just to finish the area. the crab orchard patio is the surround. if i could I would use the large flat river rock type stones I mentioned above, but they are not available in the colors I want at the mason yards I have been to.

YardPro
02-22-2006, 08:39 PM
i thought you were talking about something people would walk on or have access to...

we have had to redo a lot of rock beds around pools becuase kids would throw the small rocks into the pools..

cuased $15K in dammages to one pool..

also, our river rock here is biege/brown/grey.. too bad you can't get it there.

landscapingpoolguy
02-23-2006, 04:39 PM
3-4" Delaware River Rock, big enuff to not damage filtration, its clean, peachy grey colors, come from the Delaware River so its naturally smooth from water flowing over it.

cedarcroft
02-23-2006, 08:00 PM
the problem for me is that I am color blind and have a hard time with shades of colors. I found the pics below on stoneyard.com and this is what I want, but I am unsure of the colors and if they will clash or not.

Ramairfreak98ss
02-26-2006, 12:56 AM
What is the darkest river rock/pebble color? In NJ im having a hard time finding anything like this, Ill settle for grey or dark grey at this point.