PDA

View Full Version : fert certification test results....confused


palawnman
02-21-2006, 10:15 AM
:confused: I took my PA fert cert test 2 weeks ago, I've been waiting for the results. I had my wife go check the PO box today and I think we got the results back. I am going by what she is telling me in the letter. It didnt have anything on their about passing or failing. All it was a Pesticide Business License Application, instructions how to do and an envelope to send it out. Does this mean I passed, or not neccessarily? She overheard someone at the post office say that they still had some mail that were not sorted out from the long weekend. I was under the impression that you got Business License application only if you passed...I have been waiting for the results for what seems like forever, I have had to wait on my advertising b/c I wanted to put in their about fertilization if I passed. Any info would be appreciated.

Ron:confused:

NattyLawn
02-21-2006, 10:24 AM
You should receive a letter telling you if you passed or failed...I think they tell you 2-3 weeks after you take it. The instructor told us they do a bunch at a time, and you have to wait until they get back to HBG (I think) to run them through...

palawnman
02-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Thats what I thought. Its just weird that they would send you out the application for the business license w/o knowing if you passed. I guess my question was more along the lines, of is it standard that they mail those out before getting your results. I didnt know if they just mailed it out to you after the first time you try to get certified so that you have it whenever you eventually pass. I was still holding out hope that my results are already in and the Post Office just didnt get a chance to put it in my box because they were behind this morning.

Ron

E-man
02-21-2006, 11:02 AM
I just took the test last thursday and the instructor told me if I passed I would recieve the business license and applicators license application in the mail

You could always call your regional office too.

Grassmechanic
02-21-2006, 01:49 PM
You mean they don't tell you right away if you passed?? When we take the test, they run it in a computer and check it right then and there. It even tells you what chapters of the test that you missed the questions. They've been doing it here this way for about 10 years now. I thought our state was slow, but it sounds like your state needs to come into the 21st century.:dizzy:

palawnman
02-21-2006, 02:43 PM
You mean they don't tell you right away if you passed?? When we take the test, they run it in a computer and check it right then and there. It even tells you what chapters of the test that you missed the questions. They've been doing it here this way for about 10 years now. I thought our state was slow, but it sounds like your state needs to come into the 21st century.:dizzy:

I was thinking the same thing. At the very least I thought that at least you can receive results via email or check on web site instead of waiting for the mail. It sucks to have to wait.

Ron

1MajorTom
02-21-2006, 04:22 PM
I was thinking the same thing. At the very least I thought that at least you can receive results via email or check on web site instead of waiting for the mail. It sucks to have to wait.

Ron
You passed snce you got the application for the license.

palawnman
02-21-2006, 05:25 PM
You passed snce you got the application for the license.

Thats what I thought, I dont want to get my hopes up though. I want to actually have something that states that you passed. Also I want to see how I did. Oh by the way, in case I didnt pass can I say that you said since I got the application for the license, it should mean that I passed? :)

Ron

1MajorTom
02-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Oh by the way, in case I didnt pass can I say that you said since I got the application for the license, it should mean that I passed? :)

Ron
haha, well that's how I found out i had passed, i figure things probably didn't change.
Congrats btw. :clapping:

crzymow
02-21-2006, 07:26 PM
I hope you are talking about your comercial license for spraying and applying pesticides. you dont need a license if you are just using fertilizers.

philk17088
02-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Here's a link to check your status.
http://www.pested.psu.edu/applicators/

stumper1620
02-21-2006, 08:47 PM
I sure am glade Michigan gives you your results on the day of the test.
No waiting, take the test hand it in, 3 seconds later you know your score.

BladeRunner1967
02-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Palawnman....was the test hard? I have the Category 7 Turf and Lawn study guides. Is that all I need? I heard there is an open book test. Is that true? Thanks.

Jeff

crzymow
02-22-2006, 08:54 AM
The catagory parts are open book, the core is closed book. Even though it is open book it is still a good idea to study things because you have an idea where things are if you have to look them up.

palawnman
02-22-2006, 09:03 AM
The catagory parts are open book, the core is closed book. Even though it is open book it is still a good idea to study things because you have an idea where things are if you have to look them up.

You have to take the core test and one cat test to be certified (cat 7 like you said). Core Test (Cat # 00C) is NOT open book. Cat 7 is open book, but like crzymow said it is still definitely a good idea to study for it. When I found out one was open and the other wasnt, of course I concentrated on the one that wasnt open book and didnt study as hard for CAT 7, if I had failed I would have figured it would have been that. The test to be honest with you isnt impossible, I actually took the test about 10 days after I received the materials, I was actually only taking it to see what it was like and I had figured on passing the second time I took it. But after taking the test I was actually pretty (I figured at least a 50/50 chance of passing, before the test it was 90% chance of not passing and a 10% chance of passing). Good luck with it, any other questions let me know.

Ron

palawnman
02-22-2006, 04:57 PM
haha, well that's how I found out i had passed, i figure things probably didn't change.
Congrats btw. :clapping:

Finally got some closure, I called the dept of Agricilture local office. And he looked it up for me and told me that I passed :drinkup: I am just suprised that I didnt get a letter stating my scores or actually saying that I passed. Either way I will take it, now time to get the fert insurance and business license. Oh yeah by the Jodi, I guess this lets you off the hook, I wont have to use you as the excuse that you said that I passed so they had to pass me.

Ron :dancing:

walker-talker
02-23-2006, 02:37 PM
I took my test 8 days ago and got my certificate today. No letters indicating what my score was or if I actually passed, but I have my certificate and that's all I need to know.

Man...it would be sweet to know your results within seconds of turning in your test.

palawnman
02-23-2006, 02:45 PM
I took my test 8 days ago and got my certificate today. No letters indicating what my score was or if I actually passed, but I have my certificate and that's all I need to know.

Man...it would be sweet to know your results within seconds of turning in your test.

Tell me about it, I have been holding off getting all doorhangers and flyers printed till I found if I would be able to offer fertilizing for this upcoming year. Also I would have liked to know my score, kinda sucks all I know is that I passed...I want to know if I just barely passed or what.

Ron

walker-talker
02-24-2006, 01:43 AM
Also I would have liked to know my score, kinda sucks all I know is that I passed...I want to know if I just barely passed or what.

Ron
I think you can call your dept of ag to find out your score...I know I did the first year I took the exam. I might call and see what I got this year...if I think about it .....when I have the time.

upidstay
02-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Open book?? Nice. Ours in CT is around 300 questions, multiple coice, multiple answer, with a 75% failure rate. You are allowed to bring a calculator for the 20 or so math questions. Then you take a 30-45 minute oral exam which kills about 1/2 the guys who make it that far.

boxsky
08-01-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm in Lehigh County and I called the office. They told me I need to call PSU and get 00c and 007. Once I get those, whom do I call to schedule the test? They are very unclear about this.

From this thread i take it i get the materials, study, pass test, get application and then become certified.?????

I had my 6/63 and Ins license prior to going into this business. In that you fill applications, get approved, study, take test and get licensed. This lawn license sounds backwards to me. Is there another way in PA to go to class or anything.

Thanks

standeruser
08-01-2006, 11:27 PM
here in Jersey there is a web site where you can check your results before you get it in the mail.I would check that out, But if they sent you that it sounds like you passed. Congrats