PDA

View Full Version : Price of Fuel in 2006

rodfather
02-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Who here thinks fuel (diesel and/or gasoline) will go over $3 a gallon again this year?

BSDeality
02-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Not unless we have another katrina.
I for one have budgeted diesel @ $2.75/gal and gasoline for $2.50/gal however.

rodfather
02-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Unfortunately, I am sure of it.

rodfather
02-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Besides the unrest in the Middle East, now Venezuela is beating their drums.

Green-Pro
02-21-2006, 12:44 PM
I've planned my budget to price fuel at $4.00 per gallaon this year, after last year nothing, and I mean nothing would surprise me.

The Cowboy
02-21-2006, 01:48 PM
I have planned for $3.50 per gallon. I hope I am wrong. The way things are going, the fuel injected mowing machines are looking attractive.

Jpocket
02-21-2006, 01:58 PM
It may go that high, but last season we were in a drought when the prices were $3 a gallon, so it didn;t affect us as bad as it could of. I was cutting about 15 lawns out of 65 a week. So my fuel cost wasn't any where near the $120per wk it would've been.

GreenMonster
02-21-2006, 02:04 PM
It will likely top $3.00

We're letting all prospective (and existing) clients know that if it does, there will be a surcharge this year.

palawnman
02-21-2006, 02:38 PM
In my mind, I dont even think that its a possibility not to go over $3 again. I am more hoping that it doesnt go over $3.5

Ron

zim bob the landscaper
02-21-2006, 03:26 PM
i think it will be $3.25 per gallon.

zim bob the landscaper
02-21-2006, 03:27 PM
that means prices go up and we get less money.:nono: which sux.

jtkplc
02-21-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm expected another spike, probably well over $3.

lwcmattlifter
02-21-2006, 05:32 PM
I'm hoping it won't but budgeting for $3.25 gasoline. I'm strongly considering making bio diesel for the trucks, at least for my personal one. I don't think I will be able to make it fast enough to keep my work trucks running bio all the time but it would be nice to supplement 50% or more of the fuel with bio. Zim bob, you won't make less money if you plan ahead. Just as the saying goes, prior planning prevents poor performance.

UtahGrassBust
02-21-2006, 05:46 PM
I guess we are better off than those euro countries there up around $10 a gallon I don't see why we let these companies get away with it

jpp
02-21-2006, 05:46 PM
I say over 3 again this year myself. Already planning the surcharge rates right now.

vanguard
02-21-2006, 06:03 PM
With oil companies making wind-fall profits in 2005,
I'm afraid it's time for the Feds to step in so we at least get "dinner & drinks" before getting screwed! :drinkup: :hammerhead:

Green-Pro
02-21-2006, 06:12 PM
With oil companies making wind-fall profits in 2005,
I'm afraid it's time for the Feds to step in so we at least get "dinner & drinks" before getting screwed! :drinkup: :hammerhead:

Hate to say it but "wish in one hand, crap in the other, which will fill up first?"

Lux Lawn
02-21-2006, 07:50 PM
I think at some point this season it will go over $3.00 a gallon again.

The Cowboy
02-21-2006, 08:03 PM
I believe there will be a surge in prices when the farmers begin the spring rush. Diesel will be a hot item. On the other hand, after the high costs of grain farming last year it might pay better not to farm grain at all. We'll see.

Meadowbrook
02-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Unfortunately, I feel the same...over $3.00/gal. But what I don't get is that diesel isn't refined as much as gasoline and gas is now cheaper by the better part of $0.30 per gallon.

Those damn oil companies have us all by the balls, but yet no one has enough to stand up to them.......maybe I could get my stuff to run on water, naa, then water would cost $3.00 a gallon...........oh well, world's going to hell in a handbasket and everyone's sittin' back and enjoying the ride.:blob2:

BSDeality
02-21-2006, 08:46 PM
......maybe I could get my stuff to run on water, naa, then water would cost $3.00 a gallonWater already costs over $3.00/gal if you buy that bottled crap. :dizzy:

ripple
02-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Well it did last year!
Prolly go up and down again

Meadowbrook
02-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Water already costs over $3.00/gal if you buy that bottled crap. :dizzy:

If you buy spring water it's only $1.75 or so a gallon. But rest assured if it was feasable that something could run on pure water, the gas co.'s would buy out the water co.'s and jack it up to $3.00

J&R Landscaping
02-21-2006, 09:42 PM
I think last year will repeat....hope it won't but it probably will... deep breath in....deep breath out

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
02-22-2006, 06:29 PM
If you buy spring water it's only $1.75 or so a gallon. But rest assured if it was feasable that something could run on pure water, the gas co.'s would buy out the water co.'s and jack it up to $3.00

Ever heard of a steam engine? j/k :laugh:

BSDeality
02-22-2006, 07:49 PM
or hydrogen power

LB1234
02-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Not many hydrogen stations around here not to mention an affordable hydrogen powered vehicle with enough power to pull the trailer behind it.

Oh ya, did I mention hydrogen is explosive.

BSDeality
02-22-2006, 09:06 PM
I didn't say it was around yet, but eventually it will be. my girlfriend is going into fuel cell research.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-22-2006, 09:11 PM
IMO, its not the oil companies fault they are making such large profits. The WORLD economy is driving the MARKET. The reason fuel cost what it does, is because it is being used as quickly as they can make it! I don't begrudge the oil companies making a profit, no matter what the margin is. I think I have read here a hundred times "don't leave any money on the table"! Thats exactly what the oil companies are doing, getting what the MARKET is allowing. Anyway, I'm budgeting for $3.25 a gallon.:usflag:

olderthandirt
02-22-2006, 09:14 PM
The oil companies hit resistents last yr at $3 a gal. so I'm not sure if it will go over [ to many political variables] but I think they will test the $3 ceiling again

gabfer
02-25-2006, 10:35 PM
If it gets too high I'll be :walking:

kyles974
02-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Do not be scared to past the cost. Suppliers are not scared....why? They have to or they go out of business!

indy2tall
02-27-2006, 03:13 PM
I agree with all who say it will go above $3.00 per gallon. I did not raise prices last year when it spiked but I will this year if it happens again.

LawnScapers of Dayton
02-27-2006, 05:09 PM
You guys are talking profits when you should be talking profit margins. The oil companies had lower profit margins than many industries in the US last year. They had to raise prices for customers, to be able to buy raw materials at the very high price of crude oil. The Pharmacutical industry's profit margins crushed that of the oil industry last year. Why isn't anyone up in arms about that?

You can't blame the oil companies.........blame the price of crude oil......

It is no different than us raising our prices due to the increase in overhead because of the price of gas. We gross more, we spend more to operate and hopefully still net about the same.......that is our profit margin....we don't net a ton more we just cover our additional costs......

Derek

Meadowbrook
03-01-2006, 10:48 AM
The Pharmacutical industry's profit margins crushed that of the oil industry last year. Why isn't anyone up in arms about that?

Actually, in reality we can blame the oil co's for one because they mine and refine the oil. It's all done pretty much by one company. Pharmacutical co's do the same thing too, and people have been griping about them too. But that's why people have 'health insurance', to defer the cost of medicine. But there is no buffer for fuel. It is whatever the big wig billionaires want it to be, which is nothing short of them being sick in the head. But nevertheless doesn't do any good to complain, nobody listens anyway................

PlantSolutions
03-01-2006, 11:09 AM
I don't believe gas will go over $3.00. The economy would definitely go down if that were the case because a lot of people would quit their jobs to be closer to home. I work at a wholesale nursery full time and own my business on the side. When it was getting close to $3 (never did) I said I would have to leave unles I got paid to get down there. Living in NJ, the cost of living is high enough without having gas prices soar. NJ gas prices are $2.09 - $2.20currently.

CRSWHEEL
03-01-2006, 03:00 PM
As a "heads up", I have a family member that works for Sunoco. He said prices should be back to, if not above, $3/gal by summer. So far, all of his predictions on prices have been right on the $$$$.

rodfather
03-01-2006, 03:41 PM
As a "heads up", I have a family member that works for Sunoco. He said prices should be back to, if not above, $3/gal by summer. So far, all of his predictions on prices have been right on the $$$$.

Kind of what I thought...unfortunately :cry:

Prideland
03-02-2006, 05:39 AM
Diesel ran $3.50 a gallon last year for at least 7 weeks straight here in MI. since then dropped to $2.45 and has stayed that way ever since. Just can't understand why, besides greed I amagine. Maybe we all should just figure on 3.50 a gallon, bid the jobs as such and if fuel is lower, fantastic.

prizeprop
03-03-2006, 05:39 PM
You guys are talking profits when you should be talking profit margins. The oil companies had lower profit margins than many industries in the US last year. They had to raise prices for customers, to be able to buy raw materials at the very high price of crude oil. The Pharmacutical industry's profit margins crushed that of the oil industry last year. Why isn't anyone up in arms about that?

It is no different than us raising our prices due to the increase in overhead because of the price of gas. We gross more, we spend more to operate and hopefully still net about the same.......that is our profit margin....we don't net a ton more we just cover our additional costs......

DerekGood point and correct
http://www.freemarketproject.org/news/2006/news20060131.asp

Woody82986
03-03-2006, 10:59 PM
I planned on gas being $3.25 and figured my costs based on that.

Pro-Scapes
03-04-2006, 01:14 AM
you guys call it greed and all but plain and simple its supply and demand and also some other variables. The fact more and more large SUVs hit the roads daily doesnt help and the fact they havent built more refineries in a long time just compounds it.

With all the crap with iran and saudi right now its sure to go up again just out of fear. Until we build more refineries...more effiecient vehicals and equipment and tap the reserve in that mountain prices wont be coming down that much. Mowers are just a small part of gas consumption. Look around next time your getting gas... how man cars and trucks and how many mowers.

After katrina we couldnt even find gas without going 4 hours. It was all stupid racing around wasting gas just to find gas and then when you did they limited you to 20 bucks!

We are grateful just to find gas. When prices go up I surcharge a little bit. No one has ever complained about this practice. They see it at the pumps too.

3 to 4 bucks will be a reality before we know it until the gov regulates it

LB1234
03-04-2006, 10:31 PM
I didn't say it was around yet, but eventually it will be. my girlfriend is going into fuel cell research.

I worked as an engineer for a company. I've done a lot of research, field/lab testing, etc. on alternative power sources one of which happened to be a fuel cell. My thing was solar power...60watts and less for recharging batteries in remote locations.

But trust me, its a ways off. They have to do something about the weight to power ratio, AND the safety aspect...especially for use in automobiles. Not trying to be offensive or toot my horn, but what the news delivers and what you may read about may not give the complete story. Most of the time you hear about this info from companies that want to sell this stuff and get it marketed. They won't give you the complete story, you would need to investigate it further.

Where are you located? Is your girlfriend in college, out of, looking for an internship/job? PM Me

Luvs2Play
03-04-2006, 10:40 PM
JMO, Every summer gas prices start going up, blaming it on vacations and SUV's. To a point I beleive this is true. But every time it goes up, people start getting louder, government steps in and says they are going to look into it. Just the threat of this seems to bring prices down to just above where they were. What is happenning (IMO) is that gasoline companies are pushing the market to see just how high they can get the price to keep people from grumbling. By not taking prices back down to where they were, they have increased their profit margin. Now we have inflation and higher prices everywhere, including lawncare.

miacharger
03-06-2006, 11:24 AM
I would just power my equipment with biomass, you know that we generate tons of it every year! It wasn't too hard to rig up the Bobcat to run on wood.

dougmartin2003
03-16-2006, 06:56 PM
well i just filled up the tank today and yesterday it was 2.19 a gallon. today it is 2.38, that i big jump for one day

GemSon Lawn
03-20-2006, 02:15 PM
I am positive that we will see gas above $3/gallon....but I would be more than happy to be wrong!

nate121080
04-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Hello everyone. I follow this site often but usely dont post anything but I have to get my 2 cents in on this one. If you think about pre-katrina do you ever remember gas spiking up in a prices or fluctuate like it does now? After katrina you could guarantee gas prices to spike up if it rained!!!!! THATS NO LIE!!! The truth is, there are alot of variables that are figured in. But, you dont hear about the President or senators or congressman bitching do ya? Why, because they have stock in it and are making a fortune!!! Like someone else said, this country is going to hell in a handbasket fast. Why? #1 you have idiots running the country. #2 You have idiots here that voted for them idiots. #3 No matter who is voted in they will be an idiot. I would just like to have some good ol country voted in as some Harvard grad. He might not be as book smart but I bet he's got more common sense and common sense will get you a long way.

Nate

MSS Mow
04-08-2006, 11:39 PM
you guys call it greed and all but plain and simple its supply and demand and also some other variables. The fact more and more large SUVs hit the roads daily doesnt help and the fact they havent built more refineries in a long time just compounds it.

With all the crap with iran and saudi right now its sure to go up again just out of fear. Until we build more refineries...more effiecient vehicals and equipment and tap the reserve in that mountain prices wont be coming down that much. Mowers are just a small part of gas consumption. Look around next time your getting gas... how man cars and trucks and how many mowers.

After katrina we couldnt even find gas without going 4 hours. It was all stupid racing around wasting gas just to find gas and then when you did they limited you to 20 bucks!

We are grateful just to find gas. When prices go up I surcharge a little bit. No one has ever complained about this practice. They see it at the pumps too.

3 to 4 bucks will be a reality before we know it until the gov regulates it

I just paid 2.89 for diesel yesterday. Reg gas is at 2.79 here in Maine right now.

While your points are valid in limited aspects (ie Huricane Katrina), I have to respectfully disagree with you. It's totally about profits. Take a look at the article I posted below that talks about "record profits". Now don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with any company making a profit. But, when it's a critical piece of the economy, there needs to be more control. Take for example, milk farmers are capped at how much they can sell milk because it is "essential". Don't try to tell me that gas/heating fuel isn't essential? Obviously in a different way but where would we all be without gas/diesel/heating fuel, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/earnings/2006-01-30-exxonmobil_x.htm

:cry:

ReedM
06-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Here in So California, earlier this month I was paying 3.30 for regular. It has fallen to 2.99 for the last week but it will most likely keep going up. A friend of mine that works for Chevron/Texaco said don't be too mad if it hits $4-5 a gal by the end of summer. They are just conditioning us for higher prices with the rollercoaster pricing..

ReedM
06-20-2006, 11:52 PM
Here in So California, earlier this month I was paying 3.30 for regular. It has fallen to 2.99 for the last week but it will most likely keep going up. A friend of mine that works for Chevron/Texaco said don't be too mad if it hits $4-5 a gal by the end of summer. They are just conditioning us for higher prices with the rollercoaster pricing..

Sorry, Did not realize how old the thread was...