PDA

View Full Version : anybody know hot to bring grass back? need help

milo
02-21-2006, 02:18 PM
i had i lady call me today and i went to see it. it is 13 by 13 foot area where her dogs go to the bathroom and all that is there now is dirt. no grass..
does anyone know what i should do to this to get grass there??? do i need to treat the dirt??? it is really bare and its the only place the dogs can go to the bathroom. any info would really help. i never did anything like this and want to make sure i can get the job done right. thanks guys..:dancing:

kickin sum grass
02-21-2006, 02:31 PM
if the dog is still around forget about it. You will never get anything to stay there.

You can try a soil test for pH for starters.

dkeisala
02-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Urine contains uric acid. Uric acid contains nitrogen. By a dog using a relatively small area such as that as their latrine the high nitrogen content prevents anything from growing. It'd be just like dumping to much fertilizer on a lawn then watching it quickly burn to death.

old dog 80
02-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Tell her about urine burn first.If the dogs continue to use the same area it is a lost cause.To fix it,rototil to dilute the urine .Take a soil sample and find out
what needs to be amended to rebalance the soil.Sometimes treatment with
hydrated lime can balance it out.Shooting the dogs would solve the root
problem but won't make the client happy.This happens more frequently in dormant stage with older female dogs!

get rich
02-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Let the customer know that she could look into a couple different vitamin supplements for the dogs that negates the burning of turf and sell her on topdressing the area with dirt and seed and cover w/straw or seed aide. Or you could simply run a slit seeder around the area and water it. I recomend running the slit seeder in to different directions for a checker board pattern. But tell the customer if she would look into it she could find either pills or a supplement gravy for dog food at pet co. petsmart or any other pet store or google it and buy on the internet.Good luck with it.

timturf
02-22-2006, 11:25 AM
soil test for soluble salts, correct this problem, warn the client this will always be a problem if dog uses such a small area!

get rich,
how's the beef a roos?

The Cowboy
02-22-2006, 12:49 PM
Sounds like your main problem is fast removal of toxins from the A horizon. Give her a price for resodding, and tell her it will have to be done at least once each year. :dizzy: Do a soil test. Or, check to see if there are some surfactant type products that can flush the soil. If there is a heavy clay, you might want to apply gypsum. A drill and fill mix might work like they use on the golf course greens; requires expensive equipment. I would take this up with a golf course superintendent in your area. He may know a fast way to keep the soil flushed out; they encounter similar problems when the nitrates and salt content goes up during the hot summer months. Only problem with that may be if the soil flushes out too easily you will have to keep it watered more often or it will dry out quickly.

grasswhacker
02-22-2006, 01:43 PM
http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/turf/dog_lawn_problems.html

Triple R
02-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Here is a permanent solution

http://www.synthetic-turf.com/products/soft-lawn.html

get rich
02-22-2006, 09:44 PM
I guess i agree with the soil testing since it only cost about 15-20 dollars, and if results come back fine then just sod the area. But i would have her look into the vitamin supplements for the dogs. I have treated alot of doggie damage in the past w/ simply mixing dirt and seed in a bucket and spilling some on the burn spots and letting mother nature do the rest. But if majority of the area is damaged then soil test then re-sod. And Tim the roo's look great as always, they take great pride in their places. Although my former boss only takes care of one or two(maintaining them). They send the installation to a different comany.(smart move) I ventured out on my own last year. Take care, and good luck w/ this job milo....hope it's profitable and keeps them calling back:clapping:

impactlandscaping
02-22-2006, 09:53 PM
Dog pee is highly concentrated nitrogen. The lawn will recover if it's not bare dirt yet. Tell her to put up a small garden fence for a few weeks, and get them to pee in another area. Once the N levels start to breakdown, the nitrogen becomes more viable than caustic, creating little dark green circles over the yard. Once the soil flushes with no pee on it a while, it should neutralize.pH has nothing to do with fertility or scorching issues associated with dog pee. If they insist on that area for the dogs, core aerate it well, and tell them to hose that section of the lawn weekly to keep the pee levels diluted and moving down in the soil.

baddboygeorge
02-22-2006, 10:28 PM
excellent seed bed with all that nitrogen also great for sod you be the judge!!

sheshovel
02-22-2006, 10:45 PM
Wrong answer badboygeorge..do some homework before you answer arbitrarily OK?:cool2:

baddboygeorge
02-22-2006, 11:40 PM
Sorry I Dont Know Everything Like Most Women , Rite Get A Dress On An Go Clean House Lady!!

sheshovel
02-23-2006, 12:33 AM
Well you sure as hell don't know what dog urine will do to the soil and the grass you try to grow in it.
And you sure don't know Sheshovel is not most women either.So your really reaching to tell me what to do.One thing I can almost guarantee you buddy'
I know enough to put you in your uninformed place when needed and I will.
You can bet on that.

baddboygeorge
02-23-2006, 09:58 AM
i dont have to compete with women darlin,, they cant compare !! i wish you luck in your endeavors,an sit back an watch the pro do the job an take lessons !!

impactlandscaping
02-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Hell, George...at least she can articulate and spell "rite"..lol..I think you're starting a fight you aren't going to win.She can hang with the best of them out there.

sheshovel
02-23-2006, 02:26 PM
badboy..you did say this woman can't compare to you in this biz?..HA You must be sippin on that good ole Kentucky burbon...This woman would never want to nor need to compare to you!That's for damb sure!HA.And the day I need to take lessons from a punk like you is the day I hang up my shovel for good!HA
Yer really dreamin

sheshovel
02-23-2006, 02:32 PM
In fact your better off pourin that Kentucky bourbon on that area rather than tryin to regrow it for dogs to pee on..at least it might keep the dogs off.And the cust can take a few sips so she dosen't worry about it growing back and staying green when her dogs are useing it..cuz it won't happen

baddboygeorge
02-23-2006, 04:54 PM
honey don't get so upset over a message !! i do love Kentucky bourbon, makers mark is my favorite an i live less that 30 miles from the distillery.Anyways i am sorry i pissed in your cheerios but its better than pissing on your lawn.An by the way I have 22 years in this business an you ain't telling me how to do a damn thing!! rite on!:drinkup:

impactlandscaping
02-23-2006, 08:13 PM
LOL...can't fault you for your choice of Bourbon, George:drinkup:

sheshovel
02-23-2006, 08:40 PM
We don't count starting at the age off 12..being in the business..your not in this biz tell your at least 18 years old.So you havent got 22 years in this biz..hey if you think you can count starting at a young age I mowed my first lawn at the age of 6 yrs old,planted my first flowers at three.I don't dont count those years as being in the biz.And you haven't been a business owner more than 7 years so don't try pulling that king of crap on me.And I eat Wheaties not Cherrios ....only little babys like you do.So save the rest cuz I am done sparing with you for now.

baddboygeorge
02-23-2006, 10:37 PM
thats where we differ i was raised around this business. i was helping ball an burlap trees in diapers , we used to play hide go seek all over the farm.i have been around the landscaping profession my whole life .When i was 12 i was full time an have been doing it every since then.My grandpa died in 87 an my uncle took over complete operations of 3 fulltime mowing crews an 3 full time landscaping installation crews. me an my uncle could not see eye to eye so in 94 i said , see ya later. an started philco services inc. its been an experience but i love it . so yes i do carry 22 years experience under my belt an lots of knowledge . i dont let dog piss get in my way of installing a new lawn i am beyond dog piss. So sheshovel when you wanna get your fingers dirty an get to doing some landscaping instead of running those lips look me up i have 3 locations in kentucky an more to come thanks george

sheshovel
02-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Actually I am much better with my lips than with my work Baby!
aND i AM OH SO HAPPY YOU CARRY ALL THIS KNOWLEGE UNDer YOUR BELT
Now all ya gotta do it get it up into your head and you'll be doin fine.

Triple R
02-24-2006, 09:05 PM
Has anyone really had success maintaining a small lawn exposed to a med to large dog? I think any way you look at it, it's just a lost battle. Unless you're going to put as much effort into the lawn as you would a putting green your better off without the lawn.

indyturf
02-24-2006, 09:17 PM
as long as they have the dog it will be a loosing battle. most customers are not going to spend the extra $ for the special food or supplements for the dog or go out and water down the area after the dog urinates! so what can you do?