PDA

View Full Version : Second lawn cutting crew?

Jerry and Sons
02-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Any one running a Ford Ranger or similar size truck for a lawn crew. Looking to get on the road a little cheaper. Also thought that this size truck would be great for snow plowing and tight driveways. What do you think?

TopNotchLS
02-21-2006, 03:44 PM
You can see the equipment I got. My ranger get about 13 mpg pulling a 6x10 trailer, it weighs about 900lbs, plus my 1000lb mower. I think it does a good job handling it. I got the v6 4.0, extended cab, fx4 and offroad package on it. I haven't used it for plowing.

old dog 80
02-21-2006, 04:22 PM
I used an '86 F150 for plowing and it could not handle a 8' Western plow.Too
soft a suspension even with air bags installed in coil springs.Check with a dealer to see if it can handle towing and trailer tongue weight you need.If not upsize the truck.

mak2
02-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Just from personal experience, pulling a load with an undersized vehicle is usually not the problem, stopping it is. bout got killed once.

godzilla
02-21-2006, 04:37 PM
What type of equipment will the lawn crew be using? I've seen guys around here using jeep wranglers pulling trailers loaded with a w/b, a big blower, and a 60" Z. They also use the trucks in the winter for plowing. I'm guessing that would be a 12' trailer? Keep the construction on that simple (expanded metal floor instead of wood), the brakes good, and you should be alright.

Lawn Masters
02-21-2006, 04:56 PM
I personally use a ranger, but I'm only gonna use the trailer as LAST resort options. instead, I plan a flatbed with a dovetail, and ramps on that on my ranger to make things simpler. I mean, its easier to back into a garage at night and lock, and parking is EASY to find for it. with a trailer, in a crowded parking lot, you're gonna have a tough time.

BTW, I DO NOT recommend a ranger for plowing, they just dont have tough enough suspension for it. to plow, you'll want an F250 or larger with something in the 351W or 351C motor range to plow with. that 200some odd ci ranger motor just aint gonna cut it, and FORGET it if you wanna use the 2.3L.

YardPro
02-21-2006, 06:56 PM
we ran s-10's for many years for our maintenance crew

lawnspecialties
02-21-2006, 06:58 PM
Just from personal experience, pulling a load with an undersized vehicle is usually not the problem, stopping it is. bout got killed once.

I have a Mazda B-4000 I bought last Sept. for the same reason. I hate it. I can tell the brakes are getting a little worse every day. It pulls a 7x14. I'd recommend an F-150 XL. You can get a used one with the 4.2L V-6 cheap.

Lux Lawn
02-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Topnotchls,Good to see another Dolphin fan around.

I see guys plowing with Rangers around here on some of the tighter driveways.

lowballer17
02-21-2006, 07:56 PM
I use a Jeep Wranger with the 2.4 5 speed stick,
use a 5x10 trailer with 34"Gravely rider and 36"Gravely wb. I cut in a very tight area with speeds under 50mph getting to my lawns. So I dont do much freeway driving. Yeah, stopping is a problem, so I just go slow and plan ahead. Unless your plowing large lots, Wranglers are awesome for driveways/residential areas.

nherweck
02-21-2006, 11:33 PM
I use a 1997 Dodge Dakota Sport as it was given to me as a gift. It works pretty well for the most part, but like the others said...breaking is HORRIBLE. I have a 6.5x16 tandem trailer being towed behind my truck, so it's deffinitely a trick stopping it quickly.

Brendan Smith
02-22-2006, 09:08 AM
a friend of mine uses 4 cyl ranger, pulls a 5x8 trailer with 48" jd ztr. truck has manual trans. not a race car but gets the job done. downshifting and planning prior to stop reduces brake wear. works for him.

trumpdriver
02-23-2006, 04:19 AM
Rangers and S10 are great for running around to parts house or just checking on something but to actually work out of and pull equipment we use 3/4 and 1 tons with powerstrokes. More power better brakes and more room for crew.
truck has tool box, fuel tank, 8x20 trailer has 2 ztr's, walk behind,2 trimmers, 2 edgers, blower, extra string, hand tools. Might could pull with Ranger but stopping would be wild;)

Thankfully the only plowing done down here is with a John Deere:laugh: