PDA

View Full Version : Spreader settings/ Measuring lawn

firecapt13
02-21-2006, 04:51 PM
New to the fertilization of lawn care went today to Lesco and bought a spreader and pre em to put out in my own yard. My question is how do you figure square foot of lawn and how do you set spreader settings. i want to learn this right before i go to customers lawns

PGA
02-21-2006, 04:59 PM
New to the fertilization of lawn care went today to Lesco and bought a spreader and pre em to put out in my own yard. My question is how do you figure square foot of lawn and how do you set spreader settings. i want to learn this right before i go to customers lawns

If you had a sqaure you would measure the 2 sides that make a right angle and mutltiply them together for example if you had a sqaure and all the sides measured 4 feet, your sqaure footage would be 16. If it was 18 and 10 your square footage would be 180

Check this out: http://www.leeric.lsu.edu/bgbb/7/ecep/math/n/n.htm

As far as you settings go read the label on EVERY bad of granular app that you put down and it will tell you what to set it at.

indyturf
02-21-2006, 05:02 PM
length x width, your spreader settings should be on the bag if you bought lesco fert.

PGA
02-21-2006, 05:14 PM
length x width, your spreader settings should be on the bag if you bought lesco fert.

thats what I was trying to say but instead I wrote a paragraph :hammerhead:

firecapt13
02-21-2006, 06:11 PM
the lesco fert had coverage rate but not spreader setting on it.

so if i measure my yard and it measures 25' x 55' that is 1375 sq feet. so if coverage rate is 4 lbs per 1000 i need a little over 4 lbs.

is my figuring correct on the math. if so how do you equate this to setting on spreader

PGA
02-21-2006, 06:35 PM
the lesco fert had coverage rate but not spreader setting on it.

so if i measure my yard and it measures 25' x 55' that is 1375 sq feet. so if coverage rate is 4 lbs per 1000 i need a little over 4 lbs.

is my figuring correct on the math. if so how do you equate this to setting on spreader

It should have the spreader setting on it. What kind of fert did you get? Numbers? Ill look it up for you.

lilmarvin4064
02-22-2006, 09:34 AM
for lesco fert and spreaders:

These numbers are starting points, you might walk faster or slower than 3 mph, and your spreader has to be calibrated with the green calibration keys for this to be accurate.

3 lbs/1000: set to #13 - #14

4 lbs/1000: set to #15

5 lbs/1000: set to #16

5.5 lbs/1000: set to #17

6.7 lbs/1000: set to #19

These are for standard prill ferts.

Most types of Pre-M (pendi...) from lesco go out at 3.5 - 4 lbs/1000. (for 2 apps)

teeca
02-22-2006, 11:37 PM
not to start anything here... but i'm suprised that you haven't been slammed to the ground yet by others... you don't know how to figure the sq ft of an area??? good thing your starting on your own lawn first!

MMLawn
02-22-2006, 11:48 PM
Well Capt I hate to be the one to do it, but since I am in NC too remember if you don't and it sounds like you don't, you must have a NC issued Pesticide Applicators License to apply chemicals to those customers lawns.

TurfProSTL
02-23-2006, 12:54 AM
Well Capt I hate to be the one to do it, but since I am in NC too remember if you don't and it sounds like you don't, you must have a NC issued Pesticide Applicators License to apply chemicals to those customers lawns.
:rolleyes:
It took 8 posts..... must be a Lawnsite record!

Capt, not to bash you, but your questions illustrate exactly the reasons why the states require applicators to be licensed.

Study, take the test, and get your license. Good luck to you.

NattyLawn
02-23-2006, 09:00 AM
You can't win on here...Either you're blasting people for not having a license right away, or someone's commenting it took too long. :)

PGA
02-23-2006, 09:08 AM
CMON people!

He said he was working on his yard first and then he wanted to learn before he went to his customers.

None of you know what he has planned so just answer the question and help him out instead of ripping him.

STOP BEING SO JUDGEMENTAL.

Koster Landscape
02-23-2006, 09:12 AM
Yes, to apply these chemicals or any others ,for a fee to your customers, you must be licensed. Call the NCDA and apply for the study manual. When you are ready, call and schedule for the exam. Good luck! You are looking for the ornamental and turf pest control category. How this helps.

firecapt13
02-23-2006, 09:25 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I did figure out how to measure sq ft of lawn about the same time i posted this. the chart on spreader settings that was posted was helpful. i thought settings were on bag but all it had was 4-5 lbs per 1000. For the guys in NC i am studying for the test and was practicing on my yard and parents yard

Runner
02-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Lawrence,
Is this a bag of Lesco Fert. w/ Pre-m? The reason I ask, is that I have never seen a bag of Lesco without the spreaer setting on the bag. That is odd.

walker-talker
02-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Lawrence,
Is this a bag of Lesco Fert. w/ Pre-m? The reason I ask, is that I have never seen a bag of Lesco without the spreaer setting on the bag. That is odd.
Yes...that's real odd. I would suggest taking a closer look. It should be, if I am not mistaken, towards the very bottom of the bag. I am guessing between 15 and 16...but mind you, just a guess.

MMLawn
02-23-2006, 07:45 PM
CMON people!

He said he was working on his yard first and then he wanted to learn before he went to his customers.

None of you know what he has planned so just answer the question and help him out instead of ripping him.

STOP BEING SO JUDGEMENTAL.

Ahh..PGA...YES we do because HE SAID what he has planned and even YOU included it in your post.....

i want to learn this right before i go to customers lawns

SO....PGA....open mouth insert FOOT.... :laugh:

And those of us in NC were not being "JUDGEMENTAL" at all....we were being HELPFUL and keeping him from getting charged and fined for violating NC LAW by applying ANY chemical on a customers lawn without a State Pest license and it was clear he didn't have one because learning what he ask is part of that licensing....

The Ranger
02-23-2006, 08:58 PM
and learn some geometry formulas

PGA
02-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Ahh..PGA...YES we do because HE SAID what he has planned and even YOU included it in your post.....

SO....PGA....open mouth insert FOOT.... :laugh:

And those of us in NC were not being "JUDGEMENTAL" at all....we were being HELPFUL and keeping him from getting charged and fined for violating NC LAW by applying ANY chemical on a customers lawn without a State Pest license and it was clear he didn't have one because learning what he ask is part of that licensing....

I was talking about what he had planned about after getting certified. Try again.

The fact is people around here are so quick to tell others who are looking for help to use the search feature or to slam them for asking a question.

This is a website built for people looking for answers. But most of you are quick to criticize instead of help. We were all in the posistion of being a beginner at one point or another so just answer the questions.

You guys could type a respectable answer in as much time as it takes to rag on them or tell them to use the search button.

Now open rear and Ill insert my foot:clapping:

somo1
02-23-2006, 09:24 PM
I was talking about what he had planned about after getting certified. Try again.

The fact is people around here are so quick to tell others who are looking for help to use the search feature or to slam them for asking a question.

This is a website built for people looking for answers. But most of you are quick to criticize instead of help. We were all in the posistion of being a beginner at one point or another so just answer the questions.

You guys could type a respectable answer in as much time as it takes to rag on them or tell them to use the search button.

Now open rear and Ill insert my foot:clapping:

Oh, PGA your're reading my mind. When I first got on this lawnsite and read all the negative comments it almost drove me away. Because all of us were once rookies too! Granted I have my license and get frustrated by guys in my area treating without a license, but you know what, once they burn that customers lawn they'll never have them again. And I'll be there. I just try to ignore the ones that continue to talk bad about the people that come to this website looking for valuable information. Because if it wasn't for the rookies, we would have just a group of know-it-alls argueing with each other. And you know what, if I wanted to hear that, I'd hang out a the local supply store!

lilmarvin4064
02-24-2006, 04:07 PM
spreader settings on a "professional" bag of pre-emergent? of course not!
Pre-emergents go down at variable rates so it would be difficult to give spreader settings. It depends on the type of turfgrass, the cutting height and the region you are applying in. You need to figure out what amount of 'active ingredient per acre' you are shooting for (if you have a clue) and how much N you want per 1000.

If you were using Lesco Pre-M 0.86% 13-2-5 say at 4 lbs/1000, that would give you (.0086 x 43.56 x 4) = 1.5 lbs ai/A which is right where you want to be for a split app of pendimethalin. This also gives you (.13 x 4) = 0.52 lbs of N / 1000 sq ft, which is a good amount to give green-up in spring but not too much.

Just because a bag gives a spreader setting doesn't mean that's what you should set your spreader at. Most ferts give a recommended setting based on ONE POUND OF NITROGEN / 1000 sq ft. If you were doing 6 apps per year on cool season grass I would surely hope that you weren't putting down 1 lb. N/1000 on every app especialy spring and summer (in my area). Cut the recommended rate by 1/4 to 1/2 in spring, and 1/2 in summer for cool season grasses in the transition zone. Then set spreader accordingly.