PDA

View Full Version : Electric breaks

MysticLandscape
02-21-2006, 03:54 PM
I have the four prong trailer lighting set-up, I need to set my truck up with electric breaks, seven prong connector. How hard will this be? I have a 97 f250. Can i just go to the store and get the controller and it will plug in? Can someone tell me what i would need, how much labor is envolved and what brands are the best? thanks

Tim

Lawn Masters
02-21-2006, 04:33 PM
you dont want electrick "breaks" you need Brakes. bit of a difference lol as far as which ones are best, someone knows the answer to that, but it aint me.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-21-2006, 05:19 PM
I went to a Camper dealer and had them put on my truck. there is some wiring and plumbing to do. Those guys do it everyday and I have no idea where to start. Seems the parts were75 bux and they charged the same to install it, complete job was 140 bux and no headaches lol

wayne

qualitylawnmanagement
02-21-2006, 06:16 PM
I have the same truck as you, If it has the factory trailer package, your controller will plug up under neath the dash. Which plug are you running 4 or 7 way? I'm running 4,6and 7 way plugs and I had to run a wire to each one of the plugs.

good luck

MysticLandscape
02-21-2006, 06:23 PM
I have the same truck as you, If it has the factory trailer package, your controller will plug up under neath the dash. Which plug are you running 4 or 7 way? I'm running 4,6and 7 way plugs and I had to run a wire to each one of the plugs.

good luck

I am currently running a 4 and am looking to run the 7, what does running a wire consist of, where do you run it from and to?

MysticLandscape
02-21-2006, 06:24 PM
you dont want electrick "breaks" you need Brakes. bit of a difference lol as far as which ones are best, someone knows the answer to that, but it aint me.

My bad, i was just about to run out for a bit and decided to post this and see if i got some responses to help my out. :help:

befnme
02-24-2006, 12:47 AM
you can buy an adapter to plug into your existing harness .

qualitylawnmanagement
02-25-2006, 01:31 PM
I am currently running a 4 and am looking to run the 7, what does running a wire consist of, where do you run it from and to?

Well if you plan to run 7 way, then go to a trailer parts dealer or your ford dealer and tell them you need to order 7 way wiring for your model truck. If should run to you fuse box under the hood were the old wiring went. I spliced in to my since my came with 6 way. So you could splice in your 4 way and run a new connector.

Wolfie's L&L
02-25-2006, 01:53 PM
I went to the local U-Haul truck rental/store and had the exact same thing done to my truck--I think it was a total of 180 dollars for everything. I just dropped it off the night before and they had it done by noon the next day. I got the setup where I have the 3-plug and 7-plug connectors in the same area.

Jason

MysticLandscape
02-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Ya i brought it to a trailer shop, they put electric breaks and air bags, there are some pictures on the picture forum.