PDA

View Full Version : box truck users-i've gotta question

The Curious Porpoise
02-21-2006, 05:10 PM
i've got a question to all those who use box trucks for lawn maintenance. where do u put any collected grass? i really like the idea of doing lawn maintenance w/ a box truck to make things more efficient. the only concern or question i have is where does the collected grass (or any other debris) go? the vast majority of the time i do NOT collect grass, but if u have to collect it, u have to collect it. where do u put it (and any other debris collected during the day)?

p.s. i have my eye on the isuzu NPR or mitsubishi fuso. is there any way to utilize the top of the cab to hold grass clippings? what i mean is to fabricate some sort of "bike rack" on top of the cab, then build a box to sit on top of the "bike rack"? i guess u would also need to make some sort of ladder steps off of the front end of the big box (where the equipment is stored) to be able to get up there. i know the cab folds down to allow access to the engine--would a load on top of the cab (a box full of grass) be too much weight for it? because if it could handle that weight maybe u could just tilt the cab down everytime u need to dump grass into the box (plus when u had to remove the load, it would work sort of like a dump hoist :cool2: ). however, from what i can see, i think even when the cab is tilted downward the top still sits pretty high, in which case u would need a small step ladder to be able to dump grass into the box

biglawndog
02-21-2006, 08:14 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. I did some research and all I could find is a dump system that Super Lawn Trucks has. It is a box as wide as the truck at least as deep as the cab height and about 3 to 4 feet long. It fits between the box and the cab and it dumps sideways. I guess they push the box back or use a smaller box so it fits on the truck frame right. It seems like a great system. I think the price is over 6000.00. I've looked all around and I can't find a similiar dump anywhere. Hope that helps.

Az Gardener
02-21-2006, 11:12 PM
I gave a lot of thought to this as I was considering going to a box truck. My idea was to put a 4-yd commercial dumpster on wheels in the truck. I catch all my grass and we do a lot of trimming so in the end I decided it would not work for me. I looked into the dumpster and I could get two for about 80 per week and get both dumped once a week. So when one was full I could leave it at the yard for pick-up and load the empty. I was going to use a tommy lift not a ramp. Would suck pushing a dumpster up and down the ramp.

allino
02-21-2006, 11:46 PM
check out http://www.debrissystems.com/