PDA

View Full Version : I am NOT a designer!

Drafto
02-21-2006, 08:19 PM
This question might sound really bizzarre but what ways can you transition from a deck to a patio with 2 steps? Is it nicer to have the steps in the deck wood, or paving stone? I was asked for a few suggestions by a customer today we are doing a paver patio for. Something I thought might be different was large sandstone slabs I could cut and stack. I am looking for outside of the box suggestions.

Dan

MarcusLndscp
02-21-2006, 08:40 PM
What's the patio made out of Drafto?

Drafto
02-21-2006, 08:56 PM
What's the patio made out of Drafto?

PT wood that is stained a cedar color.

Dan

TerraVenture
02-21-2006, 09:01 PM
I think comes down to what your budget is. You could use a couple of natural stone slabs, wood, mortared stone, brick just about anything. If you are not much of a carpenter I would stay away from wood. Most codes dictate that anything over 18 inches needs to have railings. Some may go up to 30 inches however.

Drafto
02-21-2006, 09:07 PM
I think comes down to what your budget is. You could use a couple of natural stone slabs, wood, mortared stone, brick just about anything. If you are not much of a carpenter I would stay away from wood. Most codes dictate that anything over 18 inches needs to have railings. Some may go up to 30 inches however.

They already have steps that come down to grade and we a abutting a patio to them. But the homeowners want to break it up a little different. It is only 2 steps, unless we make them out of diamonds, I don't think it will break the bank, we a re installing an 8K patio for them, so figure around $1500 for the 2 48" wide steps.

If anyone has any pictures of patio to deck tranitions please post them!

Dan

MarcusLndscp
02-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Drafto...the patio is PT as well??? Or is that a typo you made? My question was what is the patio made out of???

Drafto
02-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Drafto...the patio is PT as well??? Or is that a typo you made? My question was what is the patio made out of???

My fault. The PATIO is going to be EP Henry Coventry pavers, harvest blend color. Sorry. The deck it PT wood!

Dan

MarcusLndscp
02-22-2006, 09:32 PM
If it were me I'd keep it simple and go with PT steps or a block that matched your pavers reasonably well. To throw a third material in a transitional area like that to me is too busy and might look a little guady. If you were set on using a natural stone I would at least match the color of the stone to the color of your pavers somewhat. And use large single slabs for each step

Dreams To Designs
02-23-2006, 07:04 AM
Dan, it depends on how the steps will be seen. If you build a step out of Coventry wall block will they look awkward and stand out as an add-on, that would be a mistake. If the decking goes to the ground and you won't be able to see the back of your step, and the steps will flow up to the deck, the wall block would be ok. If the deck is open underneath and you can use a set of steps of the same material as the deck it will typically transition better.

Kirk