View Full Version : Just got my DOT #- now what?

02-21-2006, 10:58 PM
I just got my DOT #'s today- now what do I do? I found on the web site where I need to have a fire extinguisher and safety triangles but what else do I need? I was told by a buddy that I need a medical card and an inspection sticker for the truck. I was also told that I need a break-away kit with a charger on the trailer. Do I need this stuff and anything else? I have looked all over the website (it is very confusing) and I haven't found anything like this. Here is my info:

Live in GA
1/2 ton truck
tandem axle trailer

Do I need any or all of this stuff? I looked in the GA DOT site and it had no info about any of this.

02-21-2006, 11:10 PM
You need all that plus the number on the truck, federal inspection sticker, plus the company name and city on the truck in the approproiate area, driver daily logs, driver daily inspection reports, Inspectoin sticker for the trailer, electric breaks with backup breakaway kit, MSDS of everything you are carrying, etc...etc...

Try looking onthe federal DOT sites they have a weatlh of info.

02-22-2006, 12:30 AM
What is the purpose of a DOT #? I'm fairly new to many regulations, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

02-22-2006, 08:30 AM
Government oversight.

chuck bow
02-22-2006, 11:17 AM
ck out www.dot.gov/regulations.html Just got my numbers Trucks/ trailers have been inspected, medical card on myperson fire exts on board as well as triangles and all the paper work in a note book on board the truck , waiting on the sign place to get the trucks done ( lettered and numbers in place ) and we will be fully compliant in a day

02-24-2006, 01:39 AM
first of you dont need a dot number unless you pull a great deal of wieght. if you just have an f 150 or 250 and a landscape trailer you dont need it . that # only lets the feds track you closer.

02-24-2006, 02:27 AM
it seems to be the "in thing" to get nowadays on this site...

chuck bow
02-24-2006, 07:57 AM
It isnt the in thing to do , in In its the law anyone with a combined gvwr over 10000 pounds and is in business has to have one which as GRASSBUSTER has said so many times if you are pulling a dual axle with anything but a small car then you are screwed and you will have to have a Number on your truck If you dont believe me just dont do and see what happens Go to the commercial mowing forum and punch in DOT numbers in the search feature and i bet theres 4 hrs worth a reading on this issue alone . Believe me its been a hassel going thru all this crap . I dont want to see anyone get pulled over and fined but on the same hand if i have to comply then everyone else should to .In our district last week which is 5 countys it seemed like the were having a D.O.T. convention as i been told they were 42 of them working the roads.

02-24-2006, 09:47 AM
don't forget inspection sheets, driver test, driving records of each driver, and etc. we just went to a lawn care show on wed. & they had a dot speaker there. was helpful. let's see what else.....no gas can bigger than 8 gallons....everything has to be strapped down where it won't fly out. maintance logs for truck & trailer, inspection sheets, i have a whole list if you guys need it just send me a note....i am getting ready to go out to do some work, or i would take time to list it all now.

02-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the posts. It is very helpful.

Topdog- can you post a list or email the list of all the reguirements that are needed? This is also a stupid question but where do you get all of the truck and trailer check sheets at and who, when, and where do you have them inspected?

I can understand that some think this is "in" thing to do but I think it is the "right thing to do. That's kinda like saying insurance and licenses are the "in " thing to do. I do agree that it is "silly" thing to HAVE to do but you still HAVE to do it.

02-24-2006, 07:26 PM
regulations that apply once your vehicle or combination of vehicles has a gvwr or actual weight over 10,000 lbs.

driver must be at least 18 in indiana. if you go out of state driver must be 21.
driver has to have a medical card. they are good for 2 years.
company name on both sides of the truck along with your dot number.
truck & trailer must have an annual vehicle inspection.
driver has to fill out a daily driver's vehicle inspection at the end of the day noting any defects of if there are no defects.
you can not have any radar detectors in a commercial vehicle.
you are required to wear your seat belt in commercial vehicles

driver files: even if you are the owner/driver

application for employment
3 year driving history
annual inquiry and review of driving record
drivers verification and record of violations - even in other states
road test or cdl
medical card
previous employment history
time cards if you stay within 150 air mile radius or log books if you go more than 150 air mile radius.

vehicle files: truck & trailers

maintenance files - file must show year, make, vin number, & tire size. must show when repairs are made, oil changed, tires checked, lights replaced...any kind of repairs.
annual vehicle inspection truck & trailer - every year
driver's daily inspection report
documentation of repairs - those noted on daily inspection report as well as any scheduled or unforeseen repairs.

you have to keep time records for each driver for each day. they have to show start & end time, & total hours worked during the day & week.
a driver can not work more than 14 hours a day, and can't drive more than 11 of those hours. a drive can no exceed 60 hours in a week.


if your trailer gvw, actual weight, or loaded weight equals more than 3,000 lbs. you have to have brakes on every wheel, safety chains, and a break a way system. the break a way system has to have a battery on the trailer connected to the brakes that will activate the brakes if the trailer becomes separated from the truck.

gas cans

can must be 8 gallons or less
must be leak tight
must be secured against movement
must be protected against damage
must be metal or plastic
must be marked with a common name - gasoline
operator must be informed of the presence of hazardous material and the requirements.
total wight of all the gas cans can not exceed 440 lbs.
if you have a truck that requires cdl, you probably also will need a fuel tax permit.
if you go into illinois or kentucky with a cdl rated vehicle you need irp plates and an ifta fuel permit.

that is directly from the hand outs they gave us.

now for what the officer told us dot is looking for in indiana

5lb fire extinguisher
3 reflective triangles
annual inspection for truck and trailer
drivers license and medical card
lights, wipers, horn working, tires in good shape
8 gallons of gas or less clearly marked and secured

after you apply for dot numbers they said you should get an in house inspection within 6 months and they will be looking at the following records.

driver files

driver test
medical card every 2 years
annual list of driving violations
driving record
an annual review of drivers files
6 month time logs

vehicle and trailers maintenance files

year/ make / vin number/ tire size
periodic inspections
annual inspections

reminder you are to update your dot info every 2 years

if any questions please let me know......i have the stuff they gave us plus all the notes i wrote down during the class.

hope this helps....i know i found out more than any of the people on the phones were able to tell me.

02-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Just a note, not sure if everyone has INTERSTATE DOT numbers or INTRASTATE DOT numbers, We stay in Md and have a DOT number. Ours is intra state and we dont have to have a safty audit and alot of other things. But we do have to have a med certification card.

For anyone new( like me) to dot, it is very very confusing. Also State law and fed law are different.

Also for whoever said DOT is an "in thing", no its a "I Got $400.00 in tickets and dont want anymore" Thing.

02-24-2006, 08:43 PM
if you are realy going to go this route you may be required to purchase an I.F.T.A permit .contact ga. d.o.t and ask.

chuck bow
02-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Iam one of the persons who has complied in the last 5 weeks but iam sure not to happy about all this crap. Iam sure there are junk heaps out there on the road but seems to me like you could almost spot thos from a good distance away , just another way for the good old state of IN to make some serious cash on writing as many tickets as the DOT people can , my God what if my wife wants to drive my truck to the friggen grocery will she get a ticket for not having a med card on her person , they might as well make you get a med card if you even want a drivers lic (now to think about that.... that might be a good idea might get some crazy old people off of the road )

02-24-2006, 09:05 PM
bro, that's why indiana wants to sell a toll road to a company from austrailla.

we one broke state

chuck bow
02-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Not to get of topic here but there is noway we can come out ahead if we lease the toll road for 75 years , if a another country can make money on why cant we ? Another one of my man bi##*es wild ideas , he sold out IPALCO now he trying to sell out Indiana !!! So maybe he can make money off of us small guys ( giving us tickets ) ? so he wont have to sell the toll road ya think?

02-24-2006, 09:20 PM
no it's sorta like selling or harbors to over seas investors.
they just want the money right now. they are not thinking about our kids future just the present. just my thaughts as a soon to be first time dad.

chuck bow
02-24-2006, 09:30 PM
congrad on new kiddys glad mine are about raised ya if they keep selling out stuff we wont have a country that belongs to us anymore , better not say anymore as i keep getting off topic