PDA

View Full Version : So ready

spcfoor
02-22-2006, 09:59 AM
I'm so ready to get started. This is my first year spraying on my own. Ready to start mowing also and get some more money in the bank acct. But I do have a question. Does it really matter if you aerate in the spring or fall? Or does the kind of grass you have determine that. For example for a cool season grass do you aerate in the fall and a warm season in the spring? Also do you "scalp" your yards in the spring? I personally do not. I think that it puts to much stress on the grass and promotes weed growth.

crzymow
02-22-2006, 10:51 AM
I prefer to aerate in the fall here, less chance of weed seed getting into it, like dandilions. As far as scalping, i wouldnt say i scalp a lawn i like to mow things a bit shorter in the spring (if its isnt growing like crazy) then let it grow a bit longer in the summer.

NattyLawn
02-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Also do you "scalp" your yards in the spring? I personally do not. I think that it puts to much stress on the grass and promotes weed growth.

There seems to be some debate on this. We tell customers to cut low the first and last mowings of the year. In the Spring, it removes dead blades and debris. Scalping for us is 2 inches, so take it for what it's worth.

indyturf
02-22-2006, 12:36 PM
I like to aerate in the fall for a few reasons #1 its usually too wet in the spring #2 it opens up the ground for weed germination #3 I'm just too busy in the spring with pre-m and then broad-leaf weed control.

TurfProSTL
02-23-2006, 12:30 AM
Aerate most of our lawns in the fall. A handful of warm-season lawns in late spring.....