PDA

View Full Version : When To Aerate???

CuttinUP
02-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Can anyone tell me when it is the best time of the year to aerate a lawn? If the ground is not frozen, can I do it at the end of Feb or the 1st of March? Second, what order would you guys recommend doing aerate, seed, fert? I was thinking that it would probably be best to fert first, then go back maybe a week later and aerate and then seed. Thanks for all feedback!!

lawnspecialties
02-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Down here if you're reseeding with fescue, the only real cost efficient time to reseed is September to mid-October. As for aerating, really you can aerate any time of year and it will be beneficial. When I reseed a yard, I aerate, fertilize, and reseed all at once.

joshua
02-23-2006, 11:44 PM
aeration is best to do in the fall but this year is different for my aera. due to the drought last year i have alot of aeation and seeding jobs that i'll be doing in march through april.

indyturf
02-24-2006, 02:29 AM
You can aerate any time the ground is not frozen or too dry, but I think early fall is best for both seeding and aeration. but sometime you just cant wait untill fall!

rodfather
02-24-2006, 09:18 AM
You can aerate any time the ground is not frozen or too dry, but I think early fall is best for both seeding and aeration. but sometime you just cant wait untill fall!

only problem with aerating in the spring is that you open the ground up to week infestation

old dog 80
02-24-2006, 09:12 PM
only problem with aerating in the spring is that you open the ground up to week infestation
If you do it early enough the seed can get established enough to withstand
weed control.Or let client know weeds will have to be controlled later...

rodfather
02-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Or let client know weeds will have to be controlled later...

exactly...

indyturf
02-24-2006, 10:01 PM
thats what I tell my customers too! I try to do as much as possible in the fall

ripple
02-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Not sure what this means? Can someone explain?

indyturf
02-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Not sure what this means? Can someone explain?
any time you can see soil through the turf you give the weed seeds a chance to germinate!

Az Gardener
02-25-2006, 11:10 PM
There seems to be a lot of misinformation in this area verticutting/dethatching/ aerating, it should only be done when the turf is actively growing so it can repair itself in a timely manor. Any time you disturb the roots of any plants in such a fashion they need to be actively growing, not dormant so they can begin to repair themselves. Performing these services any other time you are leaving the plant open to pests infestation, disease or further dieback. I'm sure I will get a slew of I'v been doing this for 20+years and never had a problem, maybe so but have you ever taken a turf class? Many things will survive abuse but as professionals we should be optimizing the health of the plants we maintain not just doing a service when it is convenient for us and we have nothing else to do. So for cool season grasses soil temps should be in the mid 60s and for warm season grasses the mid to upper 70s is optimum. Or when the turf needs mowing every 5-7 days to keep at an acceptable height.

lilmarvin4064
02-25-2006, 11:39 PM
It's not a good idea to aerate cool season grass in mid summer. IF aeration MUST be done during hot weather, make sure irrigation will soon follow.

CuttinUP
02-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks for all of the great info everyone! Also in the front yard of this property, there is alot of moss growing and taking over the grass. The customer said that the yard has not been fertilized,over-seeded, or anything in about 7 years, I am sure this plays a role in the rapid growth of the moss, along with the fact that there is alot of shade in the yard and the yard is surrounded by woods. Drainage doesn't seem to be a problem due to the yard is at a slope. Do I need to put down something for this first before doing the areating, over seeding, and fert or should this help take care of most of that? Thanks in advance!!

CuttinUP
02-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Oh Yea, Before I get yelled at, I am going to take a soil sample and have it analyzed before I do anything!:help: :help:

Brother1
02-26-2006, 10:15 PM
AZ Gardener - Excellent post. We need more true educational answers on here so people new to the business can learn.

sildoc
02-26-2006, 11:38 PM
The actual weed infestation is an over statement. In a complete weed free lawn you might see any where from 1-2 weeds per k. I have many weed free lawns that I aerate every april and to this date maybe have seen 2 weeds total in 4 years. Aeration or not. Now if you are next to weedville then you might have more seed blow over causing a few more weeds. I belive there is a study from one of the northern colleges that stated that there is no sugnificant sign that there is a greater chance of weeds germinating in a aerated turf area over a non aerated turf area. Im sure it is linked here somewhere on an aeration post.

ripple
02-28-2006, 03:30 PM
ok...makes more sense to me now....I have NOT taken a turf class. (taking pesticide course now)

4SeasonsLandscapingOCDLLC
02-28-2006, 04:42 PM
I always thought it was best to seed/ thatch/ areate in mid to late fall. At least up north here.

turfcobob
03-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Rodfather: On the subject of weed infestation with spring aeration. Some university studies have shown that it is no worse with aeration than without. Also you can aerate after pre-emerge with no discernable difference. With or Without aeration it weeds will be up to 10%. check studies at Ohio, Nebraska and Michigan

When is best: Whenever the plant is going into a growth period if you want fast results for your customer to see. That is if you are selling the aeration to a new customer do it in the spring just before the grass is going to jump. Mow the lawn short, aerate, fert and water. The results will impress the customer and they will feel they got their moneys worth.

Best time for the plants is in the fall with a late season fert application. Soil will work all winter and the plants will jump to life in the spring. Rule new customers in the spring older custmers in the fall when you have more time. Sell them on the principal first then move them to the fall when you have more time.

Aeration before overseeding is always good. The more holes the better. The holes make excellent places for germination and the extra soil brought to the surface will break up and help surface seed get started. Got any other questions just ask.