PDA

View Full Version : speading mulch with skid steer

rosolar
02-22-2006, 01:59 PM
How much mulch can be spread using a asv 50 (to prevent turf damage) and 2 guys spreading the mulch piles?

I have 50 yards to spread and was hoping to get in done in a long day with one man operating the asv and two other spreading with rakes.

Do you think 5 yards/hour iis doable with this setup/crew?

gammon landscaping
02-22-2006, 02:58 PM
depends on how hard the site is to get into if it is all with in 50 to 100 feet i would say you might have to turn a light on to finsh but can be done. but if you have to haul it a long way your men will be waiting on you all day. now if you got pallets of bag mulch it may go alitler faster you could place them better and the man on the machine could help to plus less mess

crzymow
02-22-2006, 04:39 PM
not sure bag mulch would be cost efficient in just buying it. as far as spreading that much mulch with basically two guys spreading, not sure, a lot depends on how much you have to mulch around plants and shrubs or is it all just open. I know for me and one other person using a wheelbarrel we do a little more then 2 yds an hour, id be a little nervous tearing up a lawn even with something with tracks if you have to keep going over the same area much.

mow king
02-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Depends on how far you're going and how many plants to go around, but I think if you work sun up to sun down its probably do-able.

freddyc
02-22-2006, 08:29 PM
With a smaller Bobcat than the size you're talking about (using 4.5 ft3 bucket), you can spread about 10 yards of topsoil in about 1- 1.5hrs within about 100ft of travel-- operator only.. My guess is that mulch should be about the same.
How big is the bucket, whats the machine travel speed, whats the maximum distance you have to travel and how many plantings to apply to?
Then we can help more.

In general, if it's wide open, it should be a piece of cake with that machine. If there's a lot of plantings to address then you have a longer period of time to look at.

rosolar
02-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Iíd say 80% is open and easy to access with the skid steer. I will actually be renting the asv-30, not the 50.
Now I just need to get my mulch provider to give me a better price. Hemlock and dark pine cost me about $30 a yard. I am going to see if I can get it down to $20-$25/yard knowing that I am going to be buying between 150-200yards from him this upcoming season.

Next season I would like to take advantage of the wholesale mulch and get 2-3 18wheeler loads, but first need a Bobcat to load it.

impactlandscaping
02-22-2006, 09:58 PM
With a good operator and 2 men spreading, you should be around 18 man hours for that job, plus any variables like access, and obstructions / limitations of the machine. You should be able to move about 12-15 yds an hour on open ground.

Grump
02-22-2006, 10:35 PM
The standard bucket on a RC-30 is small. See if the rental place has the light material bucket available. It will hold twice as much as the standard.