View Full Version : Need some help

04-18-2001, 09:11 PM
I need some help with a job. It's a drainage problem. I'll try to explain it the best that I can. The back yard is 32 feet long. There is a catch basin in the back corner of the yard. But nothing is going into it because it is above grade. The yard slopes towards the back fence but raises again before the fence, so all the water collects and there is about a 5 foot wide by 32 feet long spot that is always saturated with water. What can be done to correct this problem. Someone suggested putting down some stone with some pipe and running it into the catch basin and then re-sodding. Please help.

04-18-2001, 09:24 PM
Is re-grading a possibility? If not, then putting in a drain box connected to solid ADS pipe should work nicely.

04-18-2001, 09:28 PM
I'm just a rookie at this, so if you don't mind could you give me some step by step instructions on what I should do. Thanks.

04-18-2001, 09:36 PM
PCS, the catch basin is higher than the grade of the yard. First I would look at the catch basin and see if there are any adjustment rings on it, if there are remove them and then shoot the grade to see if you can regrade the yard so water goes to it. When you are shooting the grade make notes on the high points and low points in the yard. See if you can maintain a 1% slope minimum more would be better. Need this info before I can help any more.

04-18-2001, 09:39 PM
Sure. If you can't take the 'hump' out of the downward slope then a drain box is needed. The drain boxes that we use for residences is made by NDS, approx. 18" square and at least that deep, of a very tough plastic type material. A matching grate goes on the top. Put this in the ground to collect the water. Connect solid 4" pipe (black corregated or pvc)to the outlet side, put a plug/cap on the other openings. Bury the pipe with positive flow to the existing drain and either daylight it there or feed it into that drain, depending on the situation and local ordinances.

04-19-2001, 10:46 PM
Paul: I checked today there is no way to lower the catch basin. Also the homeowner said they called the city and they told them that they are not aloud to change the grade. That doesn't sound right to me.

04-23-2001, 12:29 AM
Does anyone else have any suggestions?

04-23-2001, 12:34 AM
Since you can't change the grade, use a drain box as I previously described.

04-23-2001, 12:40 AM
Where would I be able to find this drain box? Would home depot have it? And how deep do I put it?

04-23-2001, 08:27 AM
I think you can get the supplies at Home Depot. Don't forget the caps to close off the openings you don't need. Position the box so the grate is slightly below the existing grade in the low spot. Even 1/2" is enough. Remember that the outflow must run 'downhill' so check your pipeline with a level. As little as 1/8" drop per foot will work.

John Allin
04-23-2001, 12:39 PM
Don't ya find intelligent women a turn on ??
Go get 'em Lanelle !!!