PDA

View Full Version : Getting Grass To Grow In Shady Area!

amvega
02-22-2006, 05:34 PM
I was wondering if anybody could give me some good input on how to get a good shady lawn. Customer has alot of oak trees. Also there is alot of moss present. Was blowing leaves today and moss and grass was coming up like carpet. I going to get a soil sample done, but was just wondering if any of you guys may have some in put. This customer spends alot of money on his lawn and I want to give him what he deserves. Thanks

muddstopper
02-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Increase the available sunlite, reduce the moisture, and improve the soil fertility

baddboygeorge
02-22-2006, 11:30 PM
ditto!! he hit the nail on the head!!

sheshovel
02-22-2006, 11:41 PM
I'd say there is a drainage/compaction problem where the moss is growing.It's difficult to grow grass under Oak tree's.But there are shade cultivars out there.I suggest you do a search on lawn grasses that are shade tolerant.

JB1
02-22-2006, 11:46 PM
maybe a little

amvega
02-23-2006, 05:50 PM
A couple of years ago we mulched up alot of the leaves I thought that maybe it just made the soul so acidic. Customers lawn use to look alot better before that. There has been some trees removed so is getting more light then before. We usuall slice and seed every year putting 100 to 150 lbs of shaddy mix grass seed with alot of creeping fesue. Don't know if that changes any input.

baddboygeorge
02-23-2006, 06:00 PM
mulching leaves year after year an especially lots of leaves causes a lawn to break down an become very bare. that is why removing the leaves is a much better solution in the long haul.if you have anymore questions let me know thanks george

get rich
02-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Soil testing will tell for sure,but i'd say low in all three n p k if moss is growing. What kinda fert program is applied to the turf if any? A good fert program and over seeding with the shade mix your using sure return great results if you've let the sun shine in. let us know how the tests come back, that will help with your question. good luck

gammon landscaping
02-23-2006, 07:03 PM
i think creeping red fescue is what you want. it will work well in this app. and a soil test is a good idea. just remember that what the recomend is to apply said amount of fert then till it in to the soil. so if you are not going to totally redue the yard cut the recomandations by 8 and do it over time in small applications

indyturf
02-23-2006, 10:32 PM
i think creeping red fescue is what you want. it will work well in this app. and a soil test is a good idea. just remember that what the recomend is to apply said amount of fert then till it in to the soil. so if you are not going to totally redue the yard cut the recommendations by 8 and do it over time in small applications
if this doesn't work you may want to consider mulch, English ivy or some type of shade loving plants or ground cover. there are some places that grass just will not grow!

muddstopper
02-23-2006, 11:10 PM
If you are mulching the leaves and they are not being consumed by the micro-organisms, you probably have a low calcium level in the soil. Look for dead plant residues. Grass will grow under the oak trees, provided that there is adequate sunlite. Moss needs three things to survive, shade, poor soil and moisture, remove two of those things and the moss will die. You have improved the sunlite, now work on the soil fertility. Do a soil test, Check the calcium/magnesium saturation and adjust accordingly. Calcium 60% minimum and Magnesium 15% maximum Then apply the fertilizer's. If you dont get the calcium and magnesium levels right you are just wasteing fertilizers. You will also find that once you get the calcium/magnesium levels right, the moisture and compaction issue's will probably also be solved.