PDA

View Full Version : growth regulators for shrubs

jeffhendrix
02-22-2006, 06:21 PM
Does anyone use growth regulators on shrubs or grass and how effective is it?

ed2hess
02-22-2006, 06:31 PM
Yes I would like some info on this also. Atrimmec is one highly advertised as a once a year application. They indicate you can put in on in the spring after the first time you trim the bushes.

Dallas Turf
02-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Yes I would like some info on this also. Atrimmec is one highly advertised as a once a year application. They indicate you can put in on in the spring after the first time you trim the bushes.

I tried it a couple of years ago and with the length of our growing season it will take 2-3 apps for some shrubs- hollies

On eleagnus and abelia it works great if you prune at the beginning of the season wait a week and then spray they will hold 2-3 months, but it will stop the flowering on flowering shrubs.

PSUturf
02-22-2006, 10:41 PM
I don't have any experience with regulating shrubs but have used Primo on turf (cool season turf on golf courses) quite a bit. It definitely reduces clippings but you need to be precise with application.

WarEagleCRL
02-23-2006, 12:33 AM
how about on hollies, u said no flowers so will u not get berries?

Dallas Turf
02-23-2006, 09:40 AM
how about on hollies, u said no flowers so will u not get berries?

No berrys if you spray before the plants flower.

Flowering shrubs if treated before or during flowering will stop flowering.

Note
Attramec will improve the plants by promoting branching and filling out.

Dallas Turf
02-23-2006, 09:45 AM
As far as Primo goes it is great we treat all of our lawns that we also mow with it during our April Pre-emergent Round 2. It does a great job of keeping the spring flush of growth under control. 1 inch of grass to cut insted of 3. Primo also increaces tillering of grasses so it makes them thicker than untreated lawns. About half of our customers pay extra to go with Primo treatments through the growing season.

ed2hess
02-23-2006, 05:30 PM
As far as Primo goes it is great we treat all of our lawns that we also mow with it during our April Pre-emergent Round 2. It does a great job of keeping the spring flush of growth under control. 1 inch of grass to cut insted of 3. Primo also increaces tillering of grasses so it makes them thicker than untreated lawns. About half of our customers pay extra to go with Primo treatments through the growing season.
Have you used Lesco ProTrim on turf? They wanted us to use it on shrubs as a field test and I didn't see much results.

Dallas Turf
02-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Have you used Lesco ProTrim on turf? They wanted us to use it on shrubs as a field test and I didn't see much results.

I have never heard of it what is the A.I.?

dwc
02-23-2006, 09:07 PM
I used atrimec on some shrubs last year. I applied it about 3 times throughout the season and couldnt tell it helped all that much. It may have been slightly slower growth, but to maintain a really groomed appearance, i had to keep the hedge trimmers busy.
I used primomaxx on bermuda grass last year with really nice results. It slowed the grass down and helped it to thicken.

turfsolutions
03-22-2006, 12:29 PM
If you have a disease hit a lawn that has been treated with Primo Maxx, how does it grow out the disease?? Seems like it would be a risk.

Can you use primo on shrubs?

Dallas Turf
03-22-2006, 01:15 PM
If you have a disease hit a lawn that has been treated with Primo Maxx, how does it grow out the disease?? Seems like it would be a risk.

Can you use primo on shrubs?

The primo seems to increace the longevity of the fungicides. I have used it on St Aug lawns that have had some brown patch and followed up with a fungicide and not had any recovery delays. On bermuda we rarely have disease issues on residential turf.

I have heard mention of it being used on shrubs but it is not labelled for it. Dig back a couple of years on the search you might find something interesting.