PDA

View Full Version : Question about Trailer hitch,etc.

kingofbling
02-22-2006, 07:26 PM
Im going to be purchasing a trailer from one of my brothers friends, he bought a bigger one and is selling his old one, however since this will be my first trailer im a little confused on what type of hitch i need

On the paper it says Empty Weight - 1280lbs and Gross Carrying 1920lbs

So does anyone know what type of hitch i would need ?

I would basically be hauling (2) 22" Mowers plus 2 Weedeaters, etc.

The trailer also has a blower box on the front. Im a little confused about the tounge weight, my bumper shows 400lb Tounge/4000lb Max (im guessing that means if you pull it on the bumper)

Btw this is a 96 Suburban 1500

Lazer_Z
02-22-2006, 07:28 PM
T, Not to be rude but a little more info would help. What exactly are you confused about?

Thanks
Rob

JB1
02-22-2006, 07:30 PM
It might be alright but could be a little bigger, but if not the smaller one will work.

godzilla
02-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Personally I wouldn't do it on the bumper. Get a hitch from your local auto supply place... should cost all of $200. You can do a lot with a 2" reciever that you can't do with just the bumper.

kingofbling
02-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Sorry about the way i typed it, was fixing to leave work so was typing 100 wpm :laugh:.

Let me explain it,

Im going to be buying a trailer from one of my brothers friends, he purchased a new one since the one he is selling me was a 5x10 and he needed something bigger for his business.

Okay he gave me a paper about the trailer that state the following,

Empty Weight - 1280lbs
Gross Carrying - 1920lbs (Gross is the max weight allowed to be carried correct ?)

So what i wanted to know what was kind of hitch would you guys recommend, i see some with a 1,000lbs "tounge" limit ,etc. Basically which hitch would be best ? The trailer is 5x10 and has a "blower box" on the front so im not sure if that would add weight in the front or not.

I would only be moving around 22" Mowers plus the basics, no big machines.

Btw this is a 96 Suburban 1500

Ignore the bumper portion, i thought that meant total trailer weight for my suv.

It has been a long time since i messed with trailers, so im having to learn again.

lowballer17
02-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Get a Class III hitch and call it a day

lawnspecialties
02-22-2006, 09:50 PM
You've got a 1280 lb. 5x10 with 22" push mowers and trimmers. An ATV could pull that.

If that Suburban has a bumper hitch, use it. The only problem that setup will give you is not being able to adjust the height of the tongue.

A class III would definitely be the way to go if you needed adjustability.

Lazer_Z
02-23-2006, 10:48 AM
You've got a 1280 lb. 5x10 with 22" push mowers and trimmers. An ATV could pull that.

If that Suburban has a bumper hitch, use it. The only problem that setup will give you is not being able to adjust the height of the tongue.

A class III would definitely be the way to go if you needed adjustability.
That is 100% on. A properly mounted hitch is the only way to go.

Rob

kingofbling
02-23-2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the help.

One more question, which hitch would be best to go with ?

Gross Trailer Weight -5000 lbs.
Tongue Weight- 500 lbs.

or

Gross Trailer Weight - 7500lbs
Tounge Weight - 1000lbs

I was told by a hitch sales person to get a Class III (said that what was recomended for my truck) but they didnt tell me what tounge weight, etc. There is only a few dollars in price difference.

Im not sure which one to buy, would it be wise to buy the 1,000lbs Tounge Load since i plan to buy a bigger trailer in the future ?

I eventually plan to buy bigger mowers and a bigger trailer, but for now i will start out small, that way if it doesnt work out i can just be out a small invesment.

captken
02-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Get a frame mounted reciever hitch. Class III. That's all you need to know. Be sure to get the truck wired for trailer lights when you install the hitch.
That hitch will tow anything you can legally tow with the vehicle you have.

What the Heii is a "king of bling"?...just curious.

befnme
02-24-2006, 01:32 AM
What the Heii is a "king of bling"?...just curious.

thats funny :laugh: