PDA

View Full Version : mowing in wet grass

hotpan
02-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Hi,

I was reading another thread where someone asked if their mowing equipment was "good in wet grass".

I'm just starting this business and I guess it's pretty obvious that people do cut in wet grass. Do you try to avoid it if possible, like maybe delay a cut or do you focus on staying on schedule, even when wet??

If you do cut on wet grass, are there any specific 36" walk behind mowers better than others in wet grass?

Thanks all!

nephilim0167
02-22-2006, 07:11 PM
My biggest concern when mowing in wet grass are the horrible marks often left. Make sure your clocks are set to not water the day that you will be mowing, or the evening before you will be at the house. As far as rain, I cant give you an answer for that. We haven't had any in 126 days ;)

Frontstreetlawns
02-22-2006, 07:15 PM
If i didnt mow in the rain i would be out of buissness, but i dont use a zero turn in the rain, only walk behinds, i guess its just my area but what do you expect in nw wash. the rainy capital of the world

K&L Landscaping
02-22-2006, 07:27 PM
Unless it's a downpour we cut. If we waited for the grass to dry we would be out of business. I see a lot of people are afraid to mow when it's wet. Just use a 3-point turn so you don't tear up the turf.

daveintoledo
02-22-2006, 07:48 PM
commercials and large properties i can mow in rain, but many residentials firmly beleive that you cant mow wet grass, and you dont change most peoples minds.... so them i hold of on.... they wont listen at all that my toro is designed to cut thick wet grass....

also many belt driven walk behinds, if it gets wet enough the belts will slip....

bearcatlawn
02-22-2006, 08:20 PM
like somebody else said, leave the zero turn on the trailer and use the walk behinds. We sometimes take our velkes off and walk the property and be careful every time you turn around.

ECS
02-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Unless it's a downpour we cut. If we waited for the grass to dry we would be out of business. I see a lot of people are afraid to mow when it's wet. Just use a 3-point turn so you don't tear up the turf.
Same here. But our rain is only in May & June normally. I will not attempt spring cleanup in the rain though.

beautifullawns
02-22-2006, 09:18 PM
We try not to mow in the rain or if the grass is really wet.
If you do go slow and plan for extra time. Don't cut a lot off either.

MMLawn
02-22-2006, 10:42 PM
Get a John Deere Commercial ZTR or WB with the 7 Iron deck....wet grass will NEVER be an issue again...PERIOD.

gabfer
02-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Trying to get in 10 posts so that I can pm.:usflag:

FIREMAN Q
02-22-2006, 11:16 PM
very new here....why couldn't you use a ztr in the rain or on wet ground????

KC Hartman
02-22-2006, 11:21 PM
Trying to get in 10 posts so that I can pm.:usflag:

Yeah, I understand that. I can't contact a couple guys privately until I reach that ten mark myself. But that is ok... rules is rules......

daveintoledo
02-23-2006, 08:55 AM
its very heavy and can tear up the turf.....

Mr Budget
02-23-2006, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I understand that. I can't contact a couple guys privately until I reach that ten mark myself. But that is ok... rules is rules......

I just found this : 01-20-2006, 10:40 AM
1MajorTom
Senior Moderator Join Date: Mar 2000

pm feature is turned on once a member hits 25 posts and have been a member for a month.

don't rewind me to replay me.

sundayrugger
02-23-2006, 09:46 AM
I have one customer that insists on bagging grass. I tried it once when the rain caught me mid mow, (21" push mower). It was useless. I'm sure there are better equipment options.

LB1234
02-23-2006, 09:48 AM
Some accounts we mow...not in a downpour though.

For our higher end accounts, we will wait. We are being paid to care for their lawn, not destroy it. These customer actually like when I tell them its too wet to mow, too dry, not needed, etc. It shows them we are not just a mow and go.

tjsquickcuts
02-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Some accounts we mow...not in a downpour though.

For our higher end accounts, we will wait. We are being paid to care for their lawn, not destroy it. These customer actually like when I tell them its too wet to mow, too dry, not needed, etc. It shows them we are not just a mow and go.

I agree, I never cut any high end properties while they are wet unless if a must so that I dont get to back logged. A change I made this year is that I am only working 5 day work weeks, with Saturday being just in case it rain day. It gives me room to bump all my customers down one day. I also do all my customers in one week, use the next week to treat, and the next week to cut, and the next week to landscape. Its a great foundation, and I suggest some of you guys might want to try this approach. It rained here in Ga just about every evening here last spring and summer. It was good and bad. If really made the grass grow like crazy, but cut a lot of my days short. Thats why I went to this new plan, hopefully it will work out better.

K&L Landscaping
02-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Get a John Deere Commercial ZTR or WB with the 7 Iron deck....wet grass will NEVER be an issue again...PERIOD.
No doubt about it! The best decks I have ever used in the wet stuff! Hey MM, John Deere should give you and me a little kick back for promoting their equipment the way we do!

OutdoorExtras
02-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Do the decks on the John Deere mowers leave the grass clipping in larger pieces? I have a Toro ZTR with the SFS deck and it is also excellent in wet conditions, it does not leave perfect lines, but it does not leave "clumps" like many other machines I have tried.

hotpan
02-23-2006, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=tjsquickcuts] I also do all my customers in one week, use the next week to treat, and the next week to cut, and the next week to landscape. QUOTE]

I thought you should cut every 7 days??

CC Lawncare
02-23-2006, 09:05 PM
I have had a few customers question me but I explain to them that my equipment is different than the residential mowers that they are accustomed to. I tell them that I will continue with the mowing and if they find they end result is not something that they want, I will not mow in rains for them again. I also make lightof it by smiling and saying, "That is rain to you but it is liquid sunshine in my business." Sounds corny but it works. Incidently, I have never had a customer stop me from mowing in the rain after they see what our mowers do for them. We all pay big bucks for the commercial equipment.....they better not be useless in the rain!