PDA

View Full Version : How much does your license cost?

tjgray
02-22-2006, 07:12 PM
I realize the thread where this was bought up in is closed and I am not trying to re-open that discussion.....I was just amazed and a little offended when I saw Cowboy write about paying $60.00 for a license and wondered if that was anywhere close :confused:

We are right now in the process of renewing ours. If we renew before March 1st it is $180.00 if we wait until after March 1st it goes up another $100.00. Put that with the cost of renewing our insurance which is also due at $1013.00 a year and the $70.00 it cost to go and take our CEU's it gets kinda of expensive for a small solo operation like us to continue to be legal in this industry.

Thats why we bust our butts installing Comcast cable in the evenings so that we can afford to be legal in the industry we hope to make our future in. I have enough respect for the law to make sure I am abiding by it and yes it does upset me to know that many do not.

Trust me if we can afford to be legal with our 35 regular customers then there is absolutely no reason other than a complete dis-respect for the law why anyone else can not do the same and while Donald may not care and is way to busy to take time to turn someone in for not having a license.....I on the other hand am not :waving:

Anyways I really don't want to step on your toes Jodi and open up a discussion that you locked but I was curious about everyones license cost....is Texas really that high? Can some states actually get a license for $60.00??

Now don't go and get me in trouble with any argumentative responses....I am merely curious about everyones cost:)

K&L Landscaping
02-22-2006, 07:14 PM
License = $50

Insurance = $978.00

JB1
02-22-2006, 07:17 PM
how many ceu do you have to have.

K&L Landscaping
02-22-2006, 07:23 PM
It's not many in NC. I can't remember right off the top of my head. Someone else in NC refresh my memory. I want to say it's like 2.5 in a year or 5 in two year's or something. I do know that you can't get them all in the same year it has to be spaced out.

JB1
02-22-2006, 07:30 PM
here you have to have so many in a certain periold of time, its got to the point if you figure up how much each credit costs you its cheaper to bypass it and retest.

tjgray
02-22-2006, 07:32 PM
In Texas it is 5 CEU's per year...and darn it $50.00 in NC that just bites knowing we are paying 3 times that plus....:dizzy:

Wonder why every state is so darn different. Seems to me that more people would be able to follow the laws if they weren't so in-consistant:cry:

JB1 we actually considered just re-testing as recommended by some here but we let it get down to the wire and decided to just shell out the $70.00.

JB1
02-22-2006, 07:38 PM
try living where you work in two states with two license.

quiet
02-22-2006, 07:40 PM
don't forget the $75 for the nursery and floral certificate . . . just to have the priviledge of paying $180 for the pest license!

tjgray
02-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Oh darn it ...I did forget to mention that pesky nursery and floral certificate :hammerhead:

Good thing I didn't forget to renew it hu ....

Anyone else have such a requirement or is this another only in Texas thing :confused:

olderthandirt
02-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Ohio, $35 for the business and $35 for an applicator and every business has to have one of each. total $70 a yr.

Green-Pro
02-22-2006, 08:01 PM
$75 for a three year applicator license, we have to take C.I.C. or continuing instruction class each year to avoid retaking written tests, this runs about $40 per year.

Location license for company $25 per year. Dealer license for pesticides $25 per year. Dealer license for fertilizer $25 per year.

This is off the top of my head, but I believe its pretty accurate without actually checking my files. The major ones of concern are the applicators license and the CIC's, its up to you the owner/applicator to keep track of this. Required to take a CIC each year which consists of going to an extension office and watching a pointless internet broadcast from ISU, I'm not kidding, you get little to nothing from these videos. Have to do this once per calender year though to avoid the written test.
The dealer and location license's are important also but the state wastes no time in sending reminders in the mail that your yearly fee is due.

Oh also must provide proof of insurance.

Triple R
02-22-2006, 08:40 PM
I go to work and miss all the fun. Too busy working to post before my thread was closed so I'll respond hear. But first I'll respond to this thread.

-App lic $160 every 2 years
-Bussiness App lic $160 every 2 years
-$25 per county per year to register with county ag commisioner
-Insurance over $1200 year
-CEU's 20 hours every 2 years
All this and I still don't no squat compared to some of the guys on here.

Now my response to my closed thread.
As the saying goes keep your friends close and your enemies closer. My opinion is that it is bad bussiness to not pay attention to what is happening with competitors around you. Big bussinesses monitor each other why shouldn't we. As I originally stated what is bothering me is finding flyers advertising pest apps at my clients homes then checking the CDPR's internet site to find they are unlicensed (takes about 60 seconds of my time). Or looking in the yellow pages to see the biggest lawn service advertisement offering free fertilizer and weed control without being licensed. This is the first year I have seen fliers by non-licensed companies and if nothing is done about it it will only get worse. I should also mention that I am trying to make the transition from full service maintenance to fert-n-squirt only. My goal is 400 accounts with in 3 years and to sign most of them to a monthly service aggrement so I service & collect year round. There are only 3 other fert-n-squirt companies in my area and the pricing is good so I don't want any of these unlicensed companies bringing down the market. My area is flooded with maintenance gardeners and the rates are very low, a lot of these guys think they are doing very well at $25/hr. I charge $50/hr but make $100/hr doing apps which seems to be the going rate. I want the ag inspectors to bust these guys that are advertising without a license so that word gets out and all the other mow-n-blows don't start advertising weed control. If this causes some of them to get a license then great we will all be playing on a level field.

As far as the snitch/rat mentality, this is the kind of thinking that prisoners have. This kind of thinking is bad for society and very counter productive. Just think how empty the prisons would be if everybody kept quiet.

Sorry for highjacking this thread but I had to let it out.

ArizPestWeed
02-22-2006, 08:55 PM
I go to work and miss all the fun. Too busy working to post before my thread was closed so I'll respond hear. But first I'll respond to this thread.

-App lic $160 every 2 years
-Bussiness App lic $160 every 2 years
-$25 per county per year to register with county ag commisioner
-Insurance over $1200 year
-CEU's 20 hours every 2 years
All this and I still don't no squat compared to some of the guys on here.

Now my response to my closed thread.
As the saying goes keep your friends close and your enemies closer. My opinion is that it is bad bussiness to not pay attention to what is happening with competitors around you. Big bussinesses monitor each other why shouldn't we. As I originally stated what is bothering me is finding flyers advertising pest apps at my clients homes then checking the CDPR's internet site to find they are unlicensed (takes about 60 seconds of my time). Or looking in the yellow pages to see the biggest lawn service advertisement offering free fertilizer and weed control without being licensed. This is the first year I have seen fliers by non-licensed companies and if nothing is done about it it will only get worse. I should also mention that I am trying to make the transition from full service maintenance to fert-n-squirt only. My goal is 400 accounts with in 3 years and to sign most of them to a monthly service aggrement so I service & collect year round. There are only 3 other fert-n-squirt companies in my area and the pricing is good so I don't want any of these unlicensed companies bringing down the market. My area is flooded with maintenance gardeners and the rates are very low, a lot of these guys think they are doing very well at $25/hr. I charge $50/hr but make $100/hr doing apps which seems to be the going rate. I want the ag inspectors to bust these guys that are advertising without a license so that word gets out and all the other mow-n-blows don't start advertising weed control. If this causes some of them to get a license then great we will all be playing on a level field.

As far as the snitch/rat mentality, this is the kind of thinking that prisoners have. This kind of thinking is bad for society and very counter productive. Just think how empty the prisons would be if everybody kept quiet.

Sorry for highjacking this thread but I had to let it out.
To state that what if "EVERYBOBY kept quiet" is an UNFAIR statement.

How do you feel about BIG BROTHER with cameras every where you go ,I mean EVERY WHERE

Grn Mtn
02-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Is it possible that these guys are subbing out the fert work?

Triple R
02-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Is it possible that these guys are subbing out the fert work?

I checked with the county inspector's office a couple years back and was told that even to sub out work you still have to be licensed.

indyturf
02-22-2006, 09:53 PM
In Indiana we need 18 cch every 5 years. on top of the business license,applicator license we have a mixing license if you use any liquid fert that is another $100.

Grn Mtn
02-22-2006, 09:54 PM
I just found out today that you need your license to apply the Corn Gluten Meal that is licensed by ISU. :confused: ITS JUST CORN:usflag: Oh well, looks like even going organic means getting a license.:cry:

Getting the license is not the problem--I'm all about that kind of thing--its the cost for a small business like me. If I recall correctly, a "Technicians" is $50 for the license, $100 for the test, $400 for a 3 year Business license. And I'm sure my 2mil GL doesn't include spreading pesticides so THAT will go up too.

I am allowed to sell the CGM without pesticide license, so thats good at least.

6'7 330
02-22-2006, 11:17 PM
45$ for an applicators license 35$ for operators license. Outrageous cost for the pesticide endorsement on the insurance, I will look up my cost, and it is substantial.

A building clearly marked in both English and Spanish , we put up to safely secure, store and mix all fert's and pesticide's.

Yeah right the cost a legal applicator and the responsibility of doing things the right way is just the license.The type of indidvuals who thumb their nose up at the law and playing by the rules, are a danger and menace to this industry.

olderthandirt
02-22-2006, 11:23 PM
Yeah right the cost a legal applicator and the responsibility of doing things the right way is just the license.The type of indidvuals who thumb their nose up at the law and playing by the rules, who's knowedge sounds like something from a broshure sales pitch, are a danger and menace to this industry

Its the same as an uninsured motorist,[Law here says you have to have insurence on your vehical to drive it] they don't pay for there insurence but everyone else does through higher premiums.

MMLawn
02-22-2006, 11:32 PM
It's not many in NC. I can't remember right off the top of my head. Someone else in NC refresh my memory. I want to say it's like 2.5 in a year or 5 in two year's or something. I do know that you can't get them all in the same year it has to be spaced out.

In NC the Pesticide Cert is good for 5 year clips with the license itself having to be renewed each year. You must obtain 10 CEU's total during each 5 year period to "renew" for the next 5 years. You can get them at any rate per year you wish except that you cannot just wait and get all 10 units in the final year of the 5 year period.

tjgray
02-23-2006, 12:01 AM
Its the same as an uninsured motorist,[Law here says you have to have insurance on your vehicle to drive it] they don't pay for there insurance but everyone else does through higher premiums.

Don't even get me started on how I feel about uninsured motorist:mad:

This is totally off topic but I am gonna share......the other day there was a message on my machine from the district attorney. My first thought was oh no what has the child *my almost 18 year old* gotten himself into now. I almost didn't return the call I was so dreading what they had to say.

Turns out ....*ya'll gonna love this one* back in 2001 we had someone run into Donald's truck out front and smash it into my car which was parked behind him. It totaled Donalds truck and caused significant damage to my car. After calling the police and being told they would do what they could to find the driver we felt so upset and helpless that we decided that just maybe we might find a blue car with some front end damage that matched the pieces left in our truck. Ya'll we had only driven 5 houses down and in the back sat a blue LTD with a smashed up front end. We called the police back who came and verified that indeed it was the car that had hit us but no one was home for the officers to question.

I followed up with the detective assigned to the case who told me that the guy who hit us was driving his sisters car with no insurance, no registration, no license etc ....he told me it was best for us to let our insurance handle the mess and move on.....which we did.

Well it turns out that now in 2006 the guy has decided he wants to fight the citations he received.....can you believe that craziness :dizzy:

For sure that will be one court date I will not miss but the real sad thing about it is that he probably won't have but a few hundred dollars in fines for all of his damage. Things just don't seem fair sometimes.

And speaking of fair and to get back on topic....do you think that maybe if we all had to follow the same laws and regulations that more would. Seems to me there should be one set of rules. It seems crazy for one state to charge $35.00 and one state to charge $180.00 and then to have some states not having to renew for three or five years while others have to renew every year....well its no wonder so many are confused :dizzy:

olderthandirt
02-23-2006, 12:11 AM
And speaking of fair and to get back on topic....do you think that maybe if we all had to follow the same laws and regulations that more would. Seems to me there should be one set of rules. It seems crazy for one state to charge $35.00 and one state to charge $180.00 and then to have some states not having to renew for three or five years while others have to renew every year....well its no wonder so many are confused

Tara it might have a small bearing on the people that get licensed but each state has an uninsured motor vehicle law and its differnt from state to state and not everyone abides by it. Your always gonna have the ones that will take the cheap and easy way out and the rest will be left to pay for there decisions. And not just other LCO will pay but the communities where they operate pay also with unskilled applicators treating areas with poison and little if any knowledge of what there doing.

tjgray
02-23-2006, 01:10 AM
I read this post to Donald when he got home and learned my lesson of the evening......*shop talk is so sexy*

He says he totally gets why their must be different laws and regulations for every state. He explained to me because differences in the environment, temperature, soil, etc. is the reason so. He says that some of the chemicals we use here in Texas others will never use and vice versa. That our sandy/clay soils will have different leaching effects then say a person with rocky soil. He says some chemicals may not even be legal in one state but legal in another. I so understand and get this so I take back my previous question *did I mention shop talk is sexy*

I have learned so much this past couple of years.......

Here's a thought for you all to get ya thinking on just how different our regions are.....Who here knows what a chinch bug is *no cheating and googling ok:) * and if you do know what it is do you know how to tell the difference between a chinch bug and the big eyed bug *only in the South ya'll:laugh: *

Green-Pro
02-23-2006, 09:11 AM
He says he totally gets why their must be different laws and regulations for every state. He explained to me because differences in the environment, temperature, soil, etc. is the reason so. He says that some of the chemicals we use here in Texas others will never use and vice versa.

Like I posted earlier about our C.I.C. program, required each year to avoid re taking the written exam, our state pesticide bureau is very heavily slanted/geared to the agricultural industry and for obvious reasons. The C.I.C. program is literally a joke for anyone not engaged in agriculture, to some extent its not that great for those that are. The class lasts about two hours, thats it, and out of that two hours maybe, maybe ten minutes is devoted to pesticide use as it pertains to turfgrass. I have some friends that actually take the written exam every three years as opposed to sitting through this annual ritual, this is something I've given serious consideration to as well.

Grassmechanic
02-23-2006, 10:36 AM
I realize the thread where this was bought up in is closed and I am not trying to re-open that discussion.....I was just amazed and a little offended when I saw Cowboy write about paying $60.00 for a license and wondered if that was anywhere close :confused:

We are right now in the process of renewing ours. If we renew before March 1st it is $180.00 if we wait until after March 1st it goes up another $100.00. Put that with the cost of renewing our insurance which is also due at $1013.00 a year and the $70.00 it cost to go and take our CEU's it gets kinda of expensive for a small solo operation like us to continue to be legal in this industry.

Thats why we bust our butts installing Comcast cable in the evenings so that we can afford to be legal in the industry we hope to make our future in. I have enough respect for the law to make sure I am abiding by it and yes it does upset me to know that many do not.

Trust me if we can afford to be legal with our 35 regular customers then there is absolutely no reason other than a complete dis-respect for the law why anyone else can not do the same and while Donald may not care and is way to busy to take time to turn someone in for not having a license.....I on the other hand am not :waving:

Anyways I really don't want to step on your toes Jodi and open up a discussion that you locked but I was curious about everyones license cost....is Texas really that high? Can some states actually get a license for $60.00??

Now don't go and get me in trouble with any argumentative responses....I am merely curious about everyones cost:)
Commercial Applicators License (initial) $100
(renewal) $75/3yr (my first was $10)
Business License - $100/yr
Nursery License - $100/yr
Business Insurance - $1100/yr

Working for yourself - priceless

jrc lawncare
02-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Pesticide business registration -$450.00 every three years...... pesticide license-$100.00 a year. Costs are unreal.

turf hokie
02-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Pesticide business registration -$450.00 every three years...... pesticide license-$100.00 a year. Costs are unreal.

Plus continuing education requirements range from 50-150 per credit depending on who is giving the course. 21 credits are needed every 3 years. And you cant take all the credits in one year.

jrc lawncare
02-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Plus continuing education requirements range from 50-150 per credit depending on who is giving the course. 21 credits are needed every 3 years. And you cant take all the credits in one year.I'm not sure if it's 21 for three years for 3-a category. I just picked up 12 credits in Albany, classes total were $100.00.

jrc lawncare
02-23-2006, 01:04 PM
try here......http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/certification/newcch.html

walker-talker
02-23-2006, 01:11 PM
$85 for certification that last 3 years
$140 business license that last 2 years
$600 a year for insurance

I feel lucky compared to some.

tjgray
02-23-2006, 05:25 PM
$85 for certification that last 3 years
$140 business license that last 2 years
$600 a year for insurance

I feel lucky compared to some.

I would say so:)

tjgray
02-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Like I posted earlier about our C.I.C. program, required each year to avoid re taking the written exam, our state pesticide bureau is very heavily slanted/geared to the agricultural industry and for obvious reasons. The C.I.C. program is literally a joke for anyone not engaged in agriculture, to some extent its not that great for those that are. The class lasts about two hours, thats it, and out of that two hours maybe, maybe ten minutes is devoted to pesticide use as it pertains to turfgrass. I have some friends that actually take the written exam every three years as opposed to sitting through this annual ritual, this is something I've given serious consideration to as well.

I don't feel so bad taking the time and money to go get our CEU's...at least we do learn some valuable information :)

It is too bad that more couldn't be done so that you would actually get something out of taking yours and I totally understand why you wouldn't want to waste your time attending.

MMLawn
02-23-2006, 07:00 PM
$50 a year for a license
$1300 a year for insurance

walking around spreading chemicals........priceless

sorry but I just couldn't resist..... :laugh:

turf hokie
02-23-2006, 07:43 PM
I'm not sure if it's 21 for three years for 3-a category. I just picked up 12 credits in Albany, classes total were $100.00.

Wow I guess I missed the change in requirements. Glad something finally went in our favor. 12 credits for 100 is great. locally they just offered 5 credits for 175. Best deal I saw around here is 5 credits for 50 but they did not give that seminar this year.

Did they change that when they made our license cards the same as our driver's license??

jrc lawncare
02-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Wow I guess I missed the change in requirements. Glad something finally went in our favor. 12 credits for 100 is great. locally they just offered 5 credits for 175. Best deal I saw around here is 5 credits for 50 but they did not give that seminar this year.

Did they change that when they made our license cards the same as our driver's license?? I think so. Now you renew the license each year too, you don't pay for 3 or 5 years.

Absolute Weed C
03-05-2006, 04:46 AM
Montana is $55.00
Insurance is 650.00

coyoteman
03-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Lic,permits 450.00
Insurance 5500.00

Isn't Canada a great place to buy insurance :canadaflag:

turf hokie
03-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Lic,permits 450.00
Insurance 5500.00

Isn't Canada a great place to buy insurance :canadaflag:

Wow, you just made NY look like a dream:cry:

Eclipse
03-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Of the guys posting the prices for thier insurance, is that just the cost of insurance to cover you for spraying pesticides or it the cost listed the cost of your total general liability incurance (including pesticides).

Triple R
03-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Of the guys posting the prices for thier insurance, is that just the cost of insurance to cover you for spraying pesticides or it the cost listed the cost of your total general liability insurance (including pesticides).

Mine is for general liability for landscape maintenance and includes pesticide coverage. When I eventually switch to pesticide only my insurance is going to go up substantially. I am currently in the process of getting quotes for a pest for hire type policy and have been told that most likely the only one that will offer coverage is Lloyds of London because no one else wants to deal with pesticide coverage in CA.

Eclipse
03-06-2006, 04:39 AM
Mine is for general liability for landscape maintenance and includes pesticide coverage.

Thanks. Since the amount you quoted is covering both your genereal liability for maintenance and fert, I don't think the price is too bad at all. It actualy seems pretty darn reasonable IMHO.

turf hokie
03-06-2006, 06:48 AM
In NY I could not get pesticide only, I had to get general liability with a pesticide rider. I thought my insurance prices were pretty reasonable.

walker-talker
03-06-2006, 07:49 AM
In NY I could not get pesticide only, I had to get general liability with a pesticide rider. I thought my insurance prices were pretty reasonable.
That's exactly how mine is written also. The state only requires around 30K or 35K coverage, whereas it's written into a $1mil coverage. A bit overkill, but there was no other way.

Grassmechanic
03-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Of the guys posting the prices for thier insurance, is that just the cost of insurance to cover you for spraying pesticides or it the cost listed the cost of your total general liability incurance (including pesticides).
G/L with Pesticide rider.

lawnguyland
03-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Hey man, I learned over time to say F it to the credits, too much time and $$$. Just take the test again. Pretty easy stuff, much less time, cheaper!

PS how much r u paying for ins? thanks

turf hokie
03-09-2006, 07:34 AM
Hey man, I learned over time to say F it to the credits, too much time and $$$. Just take the test again. Pretty easy stuff, much less time, cheaper!

PS how much r u paying for ins? thanks

The test is getting harder, I usually try to get credits at things I would normally attend anyway.

Insurance is running about $1100 for G/L

jrc lawncare
03-09-2006, 07:55 AM
The test is getting harder, I usually try to get credits at things I would normally attend anyway.

Insurance is running about $1100 for G/LYeah, it is. Plus, the extra courses you take help you out inmeasurably in your business.