PDA

View Full Version : Calibrating A Skid Sprayer??

msuturfgrad
02-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Hey guys I need some opinions. I have always sprayed with a boom sprayer however this year I bought a 200 gal skid. My question is what is the best way to calibrate this sprayer? What is the average time that most of you can spray a 1000 ft2? What gallon/acre rate do most of you spray at? Most of the people that I talk to spray about 80 gpa(1.8gal/1000). I have a hypro d30 pump. At what pressure do you guys spray at with this particular pump? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

indyturf
02-22-2006, 10:43 PM
you need figure out how long it takes you to spray 1000k first! it all depends on walking speed and spray width. you need to bucket check your sprayer and find the time it takes to put out the amount you want to spray per 1000k, time yourself spraying 1000k and make adjustments with spray pressure and walking speed until you get the numbers to match.

GREENITUP
02-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Indy is correct.... get a bucket (measured in 1/2 gal. or less increments) and a stop watch. Spray into your bucket with the nozzle you intend to use attached to your gun... stop spraying at 1 minute - what's in the bucket? Now - what is your walking pace? keep in mind that you need to go at this speed all day and not just on the first few yards. 1000 sf per minute is a good speed for most and makes the math easy to calculate per minute volume x sq. foot coverage. Adjust pressure/flow of the pump so 1] it allows for good coverage at a good pace, and 2] it doesn't overwork you or your pump.... you just don't want to adjust it every afternoon (or week for that matter). I spray @ 1.5 gal/minute/1,000k.

soccer911
02-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Use water when your testing, not your product.

Kevin

TforTexas
02-23-2006, 11:54 AM
We used to go out back on days that we could not spray due to wind or light rain and set up parking cones to mark off 1,000 sq ft, then time each other spraying it. Person closest to 1 minute got a reward, but we all did it over and over until we taught ourselves the pace needed to spray 1,000 per minute. We did this routinly(every month, month and a half). We then bucket tested sprayers like has been mentioned here.

Rhett@Gregson-Clark
02-23-2006, 12:03 PM
I agree with the previous posts, well said Indy and GREENITUP. For additional peace of mind you can also spray some accurately measured areas with water keeping track of the amount used and the area covered to verify your rate. You should also keep track of this information on each job. Your effective spray width and your walking speed should be fairly constant. Change your rate by adjusting the pump pressure. The Chemlawn gun and the TeeJet lawn gun each have different nozzles available (1-4 gpm) designed to provide an acceptable droplet size and spray pattern for different target application rates. Good luck.

somo1
02-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Everyone has good information, another trick to double check yourself is to measure your product used on a daily basis. For instance, add the sq. ft. treated each day and check that with the amount used out of your tank. This will help you keep track of your product usage and accuracy. I use a 1 gpm nozzle, but make sure that the pressure is not to high or you will get a misting effect instead of droplets. This will cause you overspray or drifting problems. Good luck!

walker-talker
02-23-2006, 02:20 PM
I filled a 5 gallon bucket with 2 gallons of water and then marked the bucket at the top of the water level. Timed it to where it took 2 minutes to fill that level.

Measure off 1000 sq ft on a sand road or parking lot. Time yourself how long it takes to cover that amount of area. Find a pace that it takes 2 minutes to do so. That's what I did anyway. Adjust whatever you need.

harri009
06-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Hmm, I am just getting started myself. I understand the concepts discussed here, but I feel like I am crawling walking 1000ft2 in 1 min. My natural pace is about 30 sec. that would be me walking down and back on a 50ft L * 20ft W. Should this only be requiring me to walk down once and back once. I am using a chemlawn gun 2 gpm nozzle. SO I figured I would be spraying about 10ft swaths. Also I am spraying concrete trying to get an even application, but seem to be applying heavy on both sides and light and the middle. I need some help. The lowest numbered pressure on the PSI side is 100, and not marked all that well. So I am using the BAR measurements, at about 5 bar.

I would have started my own thread but figured if the op still had any questions this would possibly benefit him as well.

Runner
06-10-2012, 10:48 PM
This may feel like a crawling pace to you, but trust me, you get 200 to 300 ft. of liquid filled hose out there you're pulling, and it is different. Now,....take that hose and go around a few trees, rocks, sheds, and anything ELSE you can use as pivotals to keep your hose out of beds and such, and this makes a huge difference. Now,...multiply THAT into a fatigue factor of doing this all day, and trust me,...you won't be walking at you're morning feel good pace. It is hard work. Be prepared,...calibrate to THIS.

RigglePLC
06-12-2012, 11:03 PM
I used to cover about 1300 sqft per minute on average. (And I am slow). I used a seven foot swath. I needed to travel about 143 feet to obtain 1000 sqft at 7 feet wide. (that is only 1.6 mph).

I agree with Rhett. Mark your tank at an exact level. Spray at least 5000 sq feet (measured carefully on a rectangular lawn area, with at least 5 swaths and turns). Note the exact gallons used (and the pressure and nozzle). Repeat until consistent. Calculate the gallons per 1000 sqft. You will probably go a bit slower on grass as compared to cement.

To be accurate--you may wish to fill the tank to the brim with water--then refill it with buckets to get the exact gallons.

You should verify your speed by using a stopwatch to find your time per thousand sqft.

Reassurance Property
06-13-2012, 10:08 PM
I measure off 1000 sq ft (50x 20) so you have to go down and back. Walk at a comfortable pace that allows you to cover everything. (I'm at 53 seconds). Then Spray your gun into the bucket with the nozzle or spray pattern you are going to be using for the amount of time it took you to cover that 1000 sq ft. That way you are not having to concentrate on changing your walking speed so much. adjust your pressure and or nozzle if needed from there to get the desired GPM's your trying to get.

avernon0112
06-14-2012, 12:35 AM
Personally 1 minute per k is crawling. I do a k in 32 seconds. The hose will get heavy when you get it out 200-300 ft so make sure you calibrate at a speed you can walk at all day.

harri009
06-15-2012, 01:39 AM
Well, I figured out one major problem I had. My Lesco tank was not marked correctly with the molding. I measured out 5 gal into a bucket, the first 5 gallons took me to the 18 gallon marker, then 23, 30.... So needless to say my first lawn I did with this tank is not looking so good right now. Its not dead but not nice and green either, I put down some Liquid Iron hoping to green it up. How long does it normally take to start changing the color?

cgaengineer
06-15-2012, 06:33 AM
Iron should have been added to tank at the time of spraying. What chemical was used?
Posted via Mobile Device

harri009
06-15-2012, 10:02 AM
I did spread fert at the time of application but it did not have iron in it. The original application was Momentum, Drive, Barricade, and surfactant. But it went on about two times the label due to me not making sure the molded tank markings were correct. Needless to say the work until its green is free to this customer.

Turf Dawg
06-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Well, I figured out one major problem I had. My Lesco tank was not marked correctly with the molding. I measured out 5 gal into a bucket, the first 5 gallons took me to the 18 gallon marker, then 23, 30.... So needless to say my first lawn I did with this tank is not looking so good right now. Its not dead but not nice and green either, I put down some Liquid Iron hoping to green it up. How long does it normally take to start changing the color?

I bet you are lookimg at the litters marking and not the gallon markings.

5gal = 18.95 litters

harri009
06-15-2012, 02:05 PM
No because once you get past the first 30 gallons it levels out to everytime you add 5 gal it goes up by 5. But still off overall by about 10 gallons in the upper capacity of the tank. I spoke to lesco about the tank an they said they had a couple years that the markings were so far off they gave out stickers to remark the tanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

AllBrad
10-04-2013, 10:37 PM
sub........................