PDA

View Full Version : What would be the best bet?

EliteImpressions
02-22-2006, 08:42 PM
My father in law has recently aquired a property down the shore that I will be using as well. He is will to put the money up for a patio and some water features if I do the labor. I really want to do the patio since it will give me practice for my house and I enjoy doing the work anyway. My questions are:

After removing the soil for a 20 x 20 foot patio and a 20 x 3 walkway, I will have a considerable amount of dirt to get rid of. Should I just hire an excavation company or can I just hire someone to pick up the dirt for me once Im done diging? What would be the approximate price for each of the services (I know different areas have different prices)

I have heard a few people companining about the aquascape, what products would everyone recommend?

Thanks for any input.

bigviclbi
02-22-2006, 11:34 PM
Where at the shore?

EliteImpressions
02-23-2006, 08:25 AM
Wildwood nj

neversatisfiedj
02-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Rent a mason dump from Hertz and get rid of the soils for free.

EliteImpressions
02-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Not to sound stupid, but how am i getting rid of it for free?

EgansCountryGardens
02-23-2006, 12:02 PM
My father in law has recently aquired a property down the shore that I will be using as well. He is will to put the money up for a patio and some water features if I do the labor. I really want to do the patio since it will give me practice for my house and I enjoy doing the work anyway. My questions are:

After removing the soil for a 20 x 20 foot patio and a 20 x 3 walkway, I will have a considerable amount of dirt to get rid of. Should I just hire an excavation company or can I just hire someone to pick up the dirt for me once Im done diging? What would be the approximate price for each of the services (I know different areas have different prices)

I have heard a few people companining about the aquascape, what products would everyone recommend?

Thanks for any input.

Is there any way you could use the material for berms around the ponds. Or if you can get access to a dump just wheelbarrow it into the back, and go to a local loam reprocessor or supplier and see what they'll charge you a truckload. Probably only about $30.00 That's probably the best you can do without finding anywhere on site to just respread it and seed it maybe

bigviclbi
02-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Call and get two prices. 1) for a dumpster that you can fill with clean fill and if you have to rent a machine 2)what an excavation would cost you. I'm at the Shore and can get a 20 yard dumpster filled for $200.00 with clean soil, but I'm not really near you. I'm sure there is a yard that will accept the soil if you look in the phone book.

EliteImpressions
02-23-2006, 12:17 PM
sounds good, next free chance Ill call for prices.

As for using for surrounding areas: The yard is only about 30 x 35 so that is way too much soil to spread around. My goal is to have the 20 x 20 patio with the features and use some sort of stone for the rest so that we dont have to worry about mowing.

cedarcroft
02-24-2006, 08:10 AM
dirt is a commodity and if it is decent clean fill (no oil, roots, stumps etc.) you should be able to find someone who needs it and will gladly take it off your hands for free. Look to local landscapers and builders for assistance, I am sure someone is in need of fill dirt.

PurpHaze
02-24-2006, 08:48 AM
I agree. Don't know exactly what the situation is in NJ but around here there's tons of lots with "Clean Fill Dirt Wanted" signs posted.

EliteImpressions
02-25-2006, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the tip, Ill check around to see if anyone want to take it off my hands for me.

Joe