PDA

View Full Version : Light this Statue (opinions please)

TurfPro
02-23-2006, 08:20 AM
I've just completed the 1st phase of this landscape(greenscape) project and need to light a bronze statue we installed. I've only done small/homeowner projects and this is a high visibility project..with these 2 factors to consider,I'd defer to the pro's opinions on how to light properly.
The statue is a full size Bronze Buffalo surrounded by concrete patio/walk area and is sitting on a "prairie grass) mound. The electrical contractor for the project installed 120v power to the mound and installed (2) huge flood lights in the bed.... it looks horrible so they want me to fix it and give it the look it deserves at night.
pic >

TurfPro
02-23-2006, 08:25 AM
one more picture

NightScenes
02-23-2006, 08:29 AM
You really have a huge problem here. I don't think there is not enough space around that buffalo to light it properly. How big is it? Do you have measurements of the animal and the space. It would be good to have those so we could look at our photometric charts and figure the best fixture and lamps for this. another thing is that it is very dark, which will soak up a lot of light.

steveparrott
02-23-2006, 11:56 AM
I would say 4 MR16 bullets would do the job.

The wattages will depend on the ambient light – 20W will problaby do it unless you're competing with street lamps, in which case 35W should be sufficient.

The beam spread will need to be wide (36 degrees) or extra wide (60 degrees).

I'd think of a standard portrature lighting with two of the bullets as key lights on the side of the bull towards where his head is turned. The first key bullet should project towards the right side of the bulls face and his right shoulder. It should be positioned slightly to the bulls right from nose-center so the beam casts light mainly on the right side of the bulls face. I would position the second key light a few feet along the side of the bull (keeping bull to fixture distance the same for both keys) from the first key. It should project to light the bulls side starting from the right shoulder towards the rear. Both key lights are facing towards the rear of the bull. (In other words, not one behind the bull and one in front of it. You may want to use a crosshatched optical spread lens to soften the beam edges and diffuse the hot spot.

On the other side of the bull, would be your fill lights. These could be positioned in exact correspondance to the key lights on the other side. The important thing here is that I would make sure that the fill light is less bright than the other side. This could be accomplished with diffusion filters or lower wattage lamps.

To increase the dramatic effect, you might consider using a blue (full CTB) on the fill side.

klkanders
02-23-2006, 12:01 PM
TurfPro
Thats a nice looking building. That buffalo looks awesome looks just like the ones in my backyard! haha

Paul
Would well lights underneath the buffalo look bad? They would be the least noticeable right? As you said it would soak up alot of light but maybe let just enuf by to go up around the body and head. Just a rookie response here.

TurfPro - Can we see some pics when u get it done? Thanks for sharing!

Flow Control
02-23-2006, 12:52 PM
I must be missing it in the picture. Where is the power source? Is there anything in the area that you could mount the light on and shine down on the statue, as paul would call a "moonlighting effect"?

koster_irrigation
02-23-2006, 06:53 PM
Another thing to consider is where are you going to mount the transformer. Its not going to look pretty out there with the animal.

TurfPro
02-23-2006, 06:58 PM
Hey thanks guys

ICS: This is an older pic of when it was 1st installed, I'll post one of the "lighting" the electrician did.

klkanders: Yea , the building is nice. The walls are angled "in" in both directions,,if that makes sense. Think pyramid,,kinda. The Buffalo is pure bronze,and was custom made for this project..so you can bet it cost a pretty penny. You are right ,the customer want's lights that aren't as noticeable.

Steveparrot: "dramatic effect" is what they want ,,no need to have a nice piece like this and then not draw attention to it.

Paul: Thanks for your help!

TurfPro
02-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Ok I'll try that again

nlminc
02-23-2006, 08:41 PM
TurfPro
Thats a nice looking building. That buffalo looks awesome looks just like the ones in my backyard! haha

Paul
Would well lights underneath the buffalo look bad? They would be the least noticeable right? As you said it would soak up alot of light but maybe let just enuf by to go up around the body and head. Just a rookie response here.

TurfPro - Can we see some pics when u get it done? Thanks for sharing!

I had the same thought. I bet lights under the bull would love nice. Don't forget to pull them damn weeds out of the bed! :)

mowtime
02-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Maybe shifting the position of the stones more to the outside and using well lights buried behind them may work. I am not 100% sure but I think Vista sells an underground well type transformer you can have at ground level so it will not stand out so much. The use of colored light filters may help on the dark colored subject. Any other lights would be a lot better than those huge floodlights they had on it before.

kootoomootoo
02-23-2006, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=nlminc]I had the same thought. I bet lights under the bull would love nice. Don't forget to pull them damn weeds out of the bed! :)[/QUO

Build a pedestal and stick that thing 8 feet in the air

TurfPro
02-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Build a pedestal and stick that thing 8 feet in the air
Today 07:51 PM
No joke,the 1st design for the buffalo included a huge Bronze mounting pad that looked like a boulder which would have put it a soild 8.5-9' off the ground. It was a little too imposing in such a tight space.

TurfPro
02-23-2006, 09:06 PM
Sorry guys,,, the weeds stay:p . We plan on adding wildflower seeds soon as well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Pro-Scapes
02-23-2006, 11:19 PM
If your not going to be using the high voltage lights out there didnt the electrician run it thru a conduit to the power panel area ?

Since your not going to be using the high voltage there maybe you can have them remove the high voltage wires and tie your lines onto them as they pull them out and wham your LV lines are in place. Just an idea there not sure what the deal is or if thats possible. A below grade trans would be a hot idea tho too as someone said.

If they dont wanna see lights then maybe some rock looking lights. I think the bronze of the bull would compliment the bronze of the cast bullets well tho.

Good luck and post pics when its done!

niteliters
02-24-2006, 06:12 AM
first off, don't go out there and pull that 120 line votage yet. you can use that insteas of your lv wire. find 120 line volt wire...if it goes somewhere out of the way where you can put your transformer, call electrician install out on one end of wire hook you lv cable from transformer to other end of 120 vlt wire, your set. as others suggested... get four well lights, try 35wfl...shouldn't need more if so try a 50wfl although that only gives you more foot candles at 10'. important thing to do is install these on an angle, not quite 45 degrees. maybe 20 degrees. just not straight up and down. the well light should have an angled side and a flat side, use the angled side up and have it toward statue. sorry if this isn't clear. send me a plane ticket, be happy to come out, do this ski etc.:)

niteliters
02-24-2006, 06:16 AM
one other thing..wee have had these challenges a number of times. we have found that fixtures above the ground create all kinds of glare from all kinds of angles. sometimes that's all you can do but we have used the well lights successfully as I described above. hope this is one of those opportunities here. customer has been staring at those 2 above ground fixtures, you put something in ground..I think they will like because it will be different/less glare

niteliters
02-24-2006, 06:24 AM
another thing, I would go with the par 36 incandescent, your have a dark surface, the incandescent is on the warm end of the color spectrum, will be less glare caused on the bull itself....but and this is the good thing, if you or customer don't like put in a halogen 50wfl.

niteliters
02-24-2006, 06:39 AM
o.k let me know if I am getting out of control, I have been up since 4:30am watching "finding nemo" with my sick 3 year old.:dizzy: The lamp life on both is 4,000 hrs. If the lamps are on all night don't let the lamp life be a deterent, just understand that the right type of light is the most important thing. Just figure out (on average) how long they will burn..eg on all night is around 10-11 hours(on the high side) thats 400 days, set up a contract with the owner to change them out twice a year and check them 4 to 8 times a year for direction, lamp cleaning and plant trimming around fixture. Our customers forget the intial cost quickly and don't mind paying the service cost because they, in the end, just want it to look good and work. Exceptional service is something people are not used to getting. additionally, used a multi tap transformer so you can adjust for voltage drop at fixture "in the field" since you may not be able to acurrately calculate the length of your run.
good luck

niteliters
02-24-2006, 07:22 AM
I give up, I just tried to post some important info twice now and it wouldn't let me. if you want to know what it was email me with your tel# niteliters@omuonline.net

Pro-Scapes
02-24-2006, 09:08 AM
Thats a good Idea. I wasnt aware you would use the high voltage wire instead of running the LV wire. Sounds like we have a winner just make sure its CLEARLY marked LOW VOLTAGE inside so you dont get some aprentice frying your system later.

steveparrott
02-24-2006, 10:58 AM
I don't like the idea of using well lights here for two reasons, plant material may eventually interfere and the below-grade light sources will not hit the top of the bull.

niteliters
02-24-2006, 04:55 PM
I guess there's more than one way to skin, I mean light a bull:)

Frog Lights, LLC
02-24-2006, 05:41 PM
I think 4 spots no wells wide spread and low temperature. small transformer.

I love that statue !

TurfPro
02-24-2006, 07:06 PM
Thanks for all the input. I visited w/ Paul @ nightscapes and we are working on a design that incorporates alot of what you all have mentioned.:)

steveparrott I don't like the idea of using well lights here for two reasons, plant material may eventually interfere and the below-grade light sources will not hit the top of the bull.
N/P , I'll make sure the materials fit around the lighting ,not vise-versa.

niteliters send me a plane ticket, be happy to come out, do this ski etc Thanks for the offer :laugh:

Will post pix as soon as it's done

klkanders
02-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Chris
Have u been drinking? Or is it the lack of sleep talking? Seriously funny stuff and good ideas also.

Was good talking to u the other day. Thanks again and take care!

niteliters
02-25-2006, 02:31 PM
thanks, coffee with a shot of vodka...wouldn't recommend it.:)

Pro-Scapes
03-03-2006, 03:52 PM
You ever light this thing up ? Im curious about it

sheshovel
03-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Me too.... wanna see it lit up at night.Cool

klkanders
03-03-2006, 07:03 PM
We all wanna see that buffalo glowing! (Tatanka)

Pro-Scapes
03-03-2006, 07:06 PM
We all wanna see that buffalo glowing! (Tatanka)

LOL yum. buffalo burgers sound good. Well its friday... 6pm. too bad some of us need to work tmrw. Is the virtua bar open yet??????:drinkup:

Least tmrw I get to play with a toro dingo for the first time to haul some 500 pound boulders out of a hard to accsess yard. Looking fwd to that

TurfPro
03-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Sorry have yet to work on it ,,been busy/behind. Dealing with no-show workers ,,,, ggrrrrr . :hammerhead:
I think it will really look sharp when done.

Thanks for all the help !

KCLandscape
03-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Well lights...
side and side placed near front of center