PDA

View Full Version : Melting Urea in skid sprayer

06er
02-23-2006, 11:19 AM
I have a 200 gal skid sprayer with jet agitation and am wanting to add 46-0-0 to my late spring herbicide app. for bermuda, I am spraying 4 gals per 1,000. My question is how can I melt the urea in my sprayer? If i pour it directly in its gonna get sucked to and clog my strainer etc. Is there another way I can mix to get it into solution without running it through the entire pumping system?
R.P.

somo1
02-23-2006, 11:50 AM
You can mix it in a bucket first and make sure to stir it up real good.
Also make sure that you have a strainer basket in your skid sprayer. You can buy them depending on the size of hole in the top of the tank.

indyturf
02-23-2006, 12:01 PM
I mix mine in the spray tank, put in 1 bag at a time and use a plastic canoe paddle and stur the urea as the tank fills. this worked great for me. another thing that would work good is I use a 200 gal storage tank to mix my urea in the day before then use a 5hp w/ a trash pump to pump into my spray tank. it saved a lot of time!

Grassmechanic
02-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Simply pour your fert into the strainer basket. A gentle stream of water will dissolve it in no time!

turfmann
02-25-2006, 01:59 PM
If your skid sprayer is the lesco space saver, you can pour the urea into the strainer basket as you are filling. The air gap filler thingy that you connect the garden hose to (don't you love my technical jargon) will dissolve the urea as it flows over it. If you're into using iron I have found that its a good idea to run it through the strainer, too, since it occasionally will solidify. Set the ball valve to bypass the hose reel and have the fluid go through the agitation system.

Puttinggreens
02-25-2006, 04:02 PM
In a recent thread (last 2 months) someone mentioned a manufactured bag specifeically for this problem.

Fill the bag with urea or any soulble product and it hangs down in the water of the tank. Kind of like a strainer basket that hangs down much further into the water.

I could be wrong but I thought the bag was manufactured specifically for the lip of a standard size sprayer.

I may read this in another area of Lawnsite, but it sounded very useful.

indyturf
02-25-2006, 04:34 PM
In a recent thread (last 2 months) someone mentioned a manufactured bag specifeically for this problem.

Fill the bag with urea or any soulble product and it hangs down in the water of the tank. Kind of like a strainer basket that hangs down much further into the water.

I could be wrong but I thought the bag was manufactured specifically for the lip of a standard size sprayer.

I may read this in another area of Lawnsite, but it sounded very useful.
I think that was Clark Gregson spray equipment. it looked like it would work very good.

Green Dreams
02-25-2006, 05:32 PM
I have always added my herbs and agitate well. Then pour in urea and leave til next day.

Next day, I do not agitiate til first stop. Lots of sloshing around before then. I leave the gun open for a while in the tank as well.

indyturf
02-25-2006, 09:17 PM
I have always added my herbs and agitate well. Then pour in urea and leave til next day.

Next day, I do not agitiate til first stop. Lots of sloshing around before then. I leave the gun open for a while in the tank as well.
that would probably work in Texas, but in the early spring in Indiana the urea doesn't melt very well in the cold water. I always stirred it up manually just in-case.

Grassmechanic
02-26-2006, 12:00 PM
that would probably work in Texas, but in the early spring in Indiana the urea doesn't melt very well in the cold water. I always stirred it up manually just in-case.
Try my method above. I use 40 degree water in the spring and I've never had a issue with it not dissolving. And I never stir or agitate it.

Triple R
02-27-2006, 04:14 PM
While on the subject of urea, how much can be applied without burning and how soon does it have to be watered in? I usually do my herbicides at 1 gal/k (hand boom) and fungicides at 4 gal/k (lawn gun)

I have a homemade jet agitation on my tank and I usually just dump the fert into the tank with the agitation running, looks like a jacuzzi. First time I did this I expected to clog the filter but nothing happened. I should mention that my tank has a baffle down the center and I dump the fert on the side without the intake to the pump.

RigglePLC
03-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Years ago there was a agitation motor set up designed to redisolve chemicals in barrels. Electric motor and 3 foot long shaft with propellor on the end. Make sure it is well insulated and grounded. GFI.

Battery electric drill with paint stirrer, paddles or bulb planting auger would work about the same, but lower power. Electrically safer.

Or...you got a bass boat? Just take that electric trolling motor--lower it down the hatch--60 pounds of thrust--all the power you need. Build a transom bracket of course.

A reel motor with a long shaft would also work.

The Ranger
03-06-2007, 11:30 PM
Urea will melt much faster in warm water. Make sure you buy the fines and not the pelleted urea. For the post a few above it is Gregson-Clark

Grassmechanic
03-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Warm water will melt faster, but why go to the extra expense when it is not necessary? It costs money to heat the water. I can dissolve 5 bags of prill urea with less than 150 galllons of cold water in about a half hour. Do it just like Turfmann does. You guys are making an easy job more difficult than it has to be.

Victor
03-07-2007, 01:02 PM
Another reason why I have nothing but good things to say about my Gregson-Clarke skid sprayer. Their optional strainer bag makes dissolving urea really easy. A well thought out skid sprayer.

vegomatic40
03-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Since all my tanks are mechanical agitation with bypass (not a big fan of jet or "sparge" agitation only)I have little problem disolving products like urea through the baskets. If I decide to increase the amount of Nitrogen in a tank that is already mixed, I do one of 2 things. Since the tank already contains a large volume of solution it can be relatively easy to "top fill" by slowly pouring urea (Umaxx or Uflexx) over the top while locking the spray gun trigger down and using it as it flows over the product.

bflower
03-08-2007, 08:58 AM
once melted will the urea stay in suspension well with jet agitation? i am more familiar with paddle type agitation and have had reservations about fert and squirting out of a lesco type jet agitation skid sprayer with the hypro 30. from reading the posts it would seem that most are very comfortable with this setup.

RigglePLC
03-08-2007, 09:21 AM
[QUOTE=Triple R;1308331]While on the subject of urea, how much can be applied without burning and how soon does it have to be watered in? I usually do my herbicides at 1 gal/k (hand boom) and fungicides at 4 gal/k (lawn gun)

With urea, to prevent fertilizer burn, you must use a large volume of water--4 gal per 1000 sqft is about right. Maximum actual nitrogen is about .9 lb up to 70 degrees. And .7 lb up to 80 degrees. And .6 lb up to 85. And .5 lb up to 90. Divide by .46 to get pounds of urea needed per 4 gallons.
Watering in doesn't make much difference--if burn is going to happen--I believe it happens within about 5 or 10 minutes. Low humidity and wind make it worse. Sensitive grass species are worse--in Michigan we try to go easy on bentgrass and fine fescue.

Grassmechanic
03-08-2007, 10:23 AM
once melted will the urea stay in suspension well with jet agitation? i am more familiar with paddle type agitation and have had reservations about fert and squirting out of a lesco type jet agitation skid sprayer with the hypro 30. from reading the posts it would seem that most are very comfortable with this setup.

No need to have reservations. Once the urea is dissolved, it's dissolved. Its not a "suspension". It is a solution. The jet sprayer with a Hypro is a good set-up for fert and squirt.

garydale
03-10-2007, 11:49 AM
We buy sprayable urea for that purpose from Lesco.
It's made to disolve quickly and does stay mixed.

Grassmechanic
03-11-2007, 10:43 AM
All urea is "sprayable". It ALL dissolves quite easily. Lesco's sprayable urea is no different from the basic farm grade urea. Except for the price.

Ric
03-11-2007, 11:41 AM
All urea is "sprayable". It ALL dissolves quite easily. Lesco's sprayable urea is no different from the basic farm grade urea. Except for the price.

Grassmechanic

There are actual grades of Urea. A few year back Russia dumped a lot of 2nd rate Urea on the Market. This Urea had a considerable amount of participants in it. You could actually see the Black in the crystals. However it was still 46% Nitrogen and worked just as good as any 1st class Urea when it came to plants. However it did leave a residue in your tank that would build up over time. This Residue would wash out very easy but was a PITA to clean out once in a great while. Urea also comes as a Food Grade for supplement to cattle feed.

As for Mixing of Urea or any other Fertilizer. You must remember Fertilizer is in fact a Salt. Water can only Hold so many parts per million of salt. Therefore the more Salt you add to water the harder it is to dissolve it. When I read that some guys are only using 1 gallon or less of finish spray per thousand Sq ft, I can help but wonder what the PPM of salt might be.

With the Exception of Dumping Urea into my tank too quickly I have never had a problem mixing Urea. When I did dump Urea in my tank to quick I just turned off the pump that was clodded and waited 10 minute to turn it back on. There may be two reason why I never have trouble. 1st I spray 5 gallons per Thousand and don't have as high a PPM of salt in my mix. The 2nd being I am in a warmer climate. However I believe the lower PPM is more the reason.

MStine315
03-11-2007, 11:47 AM

Unless you buy it at the elevator in the fall. It's fun picking the soybeans and corn out of the strainer, LOL