PDA

View Full Version : Gate lifts?

eggy
04-18-2001, 11:57 PM
Does anyone have a simple or know of a simple device to help raise and lower your trailer gate? Day in day out that gets heavy!!! Or maybe I am getting old...hmmm

eslawns
04-19-2001, 12:02 AM
you can make one with a pvc pipe, some pulleys and a garage door spring, or buy one of the 2 on the market. Do a search for this topic to find links.

Eric ELM
04-19-2001, 12:03 AM
I have a page on this on my website, pictures and instructions included. Click on the Gate Lift page on my site.

Highpoint
04-19-2001, 12:04 AM
Surely, being the lawncare professional you are, you receive ALL the free trade magazines? You will find your answer in own of them. check out http://www.ez-gate.com.

Runner
04-19-2001, 12:14 AM
I built my own too. It looks like the ez gate, but is more heavy duty, and works ALOT better! I can lift up my gate with one finger. But, I don't. I just simply put my tow under it, give it a slight lift upward, and it comes right up to me. I don't even have to bend over! Everyone that sees it, loves it! Oh, the BEST part about it? I got about 20 bucks into it!

awm
04-19-2001, 12:20 AM
seems to me a 12 volt wench, cable and pulley
mounted above the ramp on one side would work.
the key would be making every thing secure an anchored
properly.luck to ya

Stonewall
04-19-2001, 12:48 AM
Runner,

What was your parts list for only $20?

Runner
04-19-2001, 01:11 AM
Here is the parts list.
4 pieces of steel: 2 aprox. 6 inches long X 1 1/2" wide, 1 piece strip aprox. 3" long X 1 1/2" wide, and one other piece a bit shorter. All about 3/8" thick. 1 block and tackle pulley (for the pulleys) I wanted to make sure I got 1 piece pulleys, not split type. 8ft. of 3/8" cable. I bought the vinyl coated, but this isn't necessary. 2 3/8" eyebolts 1 piece of 6"(I believe) PVC tube approx. 5' long, (had it laying around) and an old 80# garage door spring.

gogetter
04-19-2001, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Runner
I built my own too. It looks like the ez gate, but is more heavy duty, and works ALOT better! I can lift up my gate with one finger. Oh, the BEST part about it? I got about 20 bucks into it!

Ok, you know we want pictures and detailed instructions now don't you? LOL!

Eric ELM
04-19-2001, 08:34 AM
I had all the stuff laying around to do mine, pictures and instructions included on Gate Lift Page. I can lift my gate that weighs over 100 pounds with one finger or my toes.

eslawns
04-19-2001, 10:43 AM
I had neither the parts, time, or inclination to build one. The EZ-Gate has been a lifesaver. It's just one more thing I don't have to put up with. It took about an hour to put on, but would be faster with 2 people.

How long does it take to make one of these contraptions? If you need to go shopping, measure cut, adjust for mistakes, and install it, what did it really cost? At $50+ an hour, it can get expensive. Fine if you have the time.

Runner
04-19-2001, 12:26 PM
I have to admit, I got about 2 hours into mine-that's WITH installation. But then again, it doesn't cost me $50 an hour to live.:)

Eric ELM
04-19-2001, 08:46 PM
A friend had given me the spring and I had all the rest of the stuff I needed and it took me less than 1 hour to install mine. It was on a day off, so it didn't cost me anything. How long did it take to put yours on?

bob
04-19-2001, 11:36 PM
Ok, I'm lazy. I bought an EZ-Gate.

eslawns
04-20-2001, 01:10 AM
Eric,

It took me about an hour to install. probably half of that was fixing a mistake on my part.

I'm not criticizing anybody for doing this themselves, that's good initiative. If I hadn't come across the EZ Gate, I probably would have missed a day of fishing and done it also. I got the thing last year at the Expo and got a great deal. If you have the time, great. I don't, so spending a little money to make my life easier is fine.

The point I was trying to make is this. Some of these junior engineers will go make something dangerous, spend a lot of time, and might hurt somebody. My time is a valuable commodity. If I have to work, I want that work to produce income. If I can pay less to get the work done than I make in the same time, I come out ahead.

Eric ELM
04-20-2001, 08:50 AM
This is good advice you gave. I agree, if you don't know what your doing, it would be better and safer to buy one. Your point is good and I understand what you mean. ;)

MOW ED
04-20-2001, 11:44 AM
I built one also for less than 20 bucks. I sort of cobbed the instructions from Eric and modified a few things to make it. I like doing things like this so its not a question of not having the time or money, its the challenge for me. All I had to buy was the spring and 2 knuckle joints with wrist pins from Fleet Farm.

Its not the EZ Gate but it works. The only thing is that I get a little worried since there is no pvc pipe or cable safety with it but Eric assured me that he has had no problems with his. The spring is anchored securly and the angles are secured with graded bolts and I have been using it for a year with no problems.

GroundKprs
04-20-2001, 12:09 PM
Do any of these coil spring type gate lifters have a safety cable? Have got 34 years on my garage door with coil springs, and 5 broken springs. And the garage door does not go up and down one to two dozen times a day. And when the spring breaks, do you also get a broken foot or leg, or head? Always be aware when lowering and lifting gates - what will get hit if it slips or the spring breaks?

Jason Pallas
04-21-2001, 09:16 PM
Defintely - I've built two systems with the coils for our trailers. You can lift the gates (each 100+lbs) with your toes. However, it's essential to run a safety cable through the spring to prevent any horrendous accidents.

Runner
04-22-2001, 02:56 AM
I agree! DEFinitely have the safety cable through it, and lower and raise your gate FROM THE OTHER SIDE so you are never in the line of fire. ALWAYS keep people clear from the spring area at all times. I do have a little glitch that my cable sticks out the back end of my PVC tube when I lift the gate up, but I can just tuck it in when I put the gatepin in that side and it stays.

Paradise Yard Service
04-22-2001, 04:47 AM
Aw come on now, don't tell me I have to wear the Stihl orange safety helmit with face shield and ear muffs just to get the old gate up! Just Funnin!

I never graduated to trailers yet, so maybe I should keep my comments to myself. I gave myself a big spankin O.K.!

Play it safe boys-n-girls.

Aloha,
P.Y.S.

syzer
04-22-2001, 11:48 AM
We purchased the z-gate and loved it. Works fairly well. I really like the polished tube, gives the trailer a very nice prof. look. I dont think I would like to have a piece of pvc on my rig though I dont think it would look bad, just would prefer steel.

Runner
04-22-2001, 09:40 PM
(Mine's painted black, so it somewhat blends.) :)

eslawns
04-22-2001, 11:24 PM
I dont think I would like to have a piece of pvc on my rig though I dont think it would look bad, just would prefer steel.

If someone does it with plastic pipe, they can paint it to match the trailer.

Skookum
04-24-2001, 04:45 AM
I just put my EZ-Gate lift on the other day. I have a really heavy duty split gate that is all 2x3 square tubing. It wieghs a ton. I cannot lift it now with my toes, but there is no strain on my back anymore.

Well worth the money!

mowerman90
04-24-2001, 12:06 PM
I saw this post last week when it started and decided it was a good idea to install a lift for my trailer. Went to the Home Depot and bought a galvinized corner post (for cyclone fences), a couple of end caps, couple tie down straps, and a spring. I don't have to worry about the spring breaking because it's totally enclosed in the pipe because of the end caps. I drilled a 3/8 hole in the front cap for the eye-bolt to attach to, then a hole in the rear cap that I press fitted an old brass eyelet (from a trimmer head) into for a cable guide. I had some 1x3 retangular steel laying around that I used for the arm that attaches to the ramp. Why I never did this before I don't know. I can now lift my ramp with one finger or my toe, absolutely awesome.

Runner
04-24-2001, 02:08 PM
Cool deal! For both of you! Just the extra strain of that dreaded gate lifting being eliminated sure makes a big difference on the whole job as an entirety. As far as the cable being small enough go through a sting trimmer grommet, you might want to rethink that. Between the size of the cable and the running over the edge of the grommet, I would DEFINITELY be careful of that cable!

mowerman90
04-24-2001, 07:11 PM
Runner,

The eyelet I'm using is from an old Tanaka Trimmer and has a 1/4 inch or bigger hole in it so there's not too much to worry about there.

edt54
10-01-2006, 09:34 PM
has anyone used the elegator for a gate lift thanks it is mainly a spring

Bel Air Bob
10-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Does anyone have a simple or know of a simple device to help raise and lower your trailer gate? Day in day out that gets heavy!!! Or maybe I am getting old...hmmm
EZ Gate, Gorrilla Lift, Trimmer Trap has one too, I think there's a couple more I just can't think of right now. I didn't know they existed till I saw adds in Turf magazine. They run around $150 - $200. I got an EZ-gate, and I was a little disappointed, but still love it. I used to lower and lift my gate half at a time and much harder on me then now. I keep two sides together (I have a split gate) and even though twice the weight, it's much, much easier. I was expecting to lift with one toe, but it's notthat easy. That's what they show in Gorrilla Lift video. You should check out the their website..I also bet I will see many more at the Expo next week.

WildWest
10-01-2006, 10:02 PM
About 14.00 bucks. http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos2477/2/32/43/62/0/6/600624332206_0_ALB.jpg

Worth it's weight in gold! and almost 2 years use!
Somebody mentioned a winch....I thought of that too, but time becomes a factor with a winch. They aren't the fastest things. As for the aftermarket ones, i'm sure they work great, but they're pricey....they look nice too!

mowerman90
10-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Man, this is an old thread! I don't use my spring assisted lift gate anymore.
I found a better solution........I got myself an all aluminum trailer. I don't know how much the gate weighs but I can lift it easily with one hand and no spring.

Idealtim
10-02-2006, 12:19 AM
You can prolly lift that whole trailer with two hands!!!

mowerman90
10-02-2006, 07:49 AM
You can prolly lift that whole trailer with two hands!!!

Almost........the whole thing weighs around 515 lbs. It's like I'm towing nothing.