PDA

View Full Version : Lawn rolling to fix mole damage?

Precision Lawns
02-23-2006, 11:41 AM
We have a customer asking if we can roll her lawn to flatten out all the mole hills that popped up over the winter. We think the moles are gone (they had to go through another company for that, since we don't offer pest control yet), so it's just the residual damage. We're not sure right now if it makes more sense for us to do it (we'd have to rent a roller, since we don't own one) or to just refer her to another company who does rolling regularly, but either way, we'd like to educate her on lawn rolling before we touch her yard, or let someone else do it. We have an interest in her lawn's health too, since she's one of our weekly mowing customers. We know it causes soil compaction, so the lawn would need to be aerated and seeded afterwards to keep it healthy. What else should we know?

Precision
02-23-2006, 04:49 PM
We have a customer asking if we can roll her lawn to flatten out all the mole hills that popped up over the winter. We think the moles are gone (they had to go through another company for that, since we don't offer pest control yet), so it's just the residual damage. We're not sure right now if it makes more sense for us to do it (we'd have to rent a roller, since we don't own one) or to just refer her to another company who does rolling regularly, but either way, we'd like to educate her on lawn rolling before we touch her yard, or let someone else do it. We have an interest in her lawn's health too, since she's one of our weekly mowing customers. We know it causes soil compaction, so the lawn would need to be aerated and seeded afterwards to keep it healthy. What else should we know?

I have moles in my lawn. Too lazy to kill those guys off, but all I do is walk on the trails. within a week or two I can't tell they were even there.

Perhaps st augustine helps with that????

old dog 80
02-23-2006, 07:19 PM
If you are in the business,it is time to get a roller.Too cheap? Talk to the local
rental store!Or get someone who paves driveways with a small roller...:walking: .

indyturf
02-23-2006, 09:15 PM
if you can get by with just tamping the runs back down it would be better for the lawn. by rolling you are going to cause a lot of unnecessary compaction. if you do end up rolling to satisfy the customer I would also sell them on aeration to relieve the compaction.

lawnspecialties
02-23-2006, 10:52 PM
If the lawn isn't too big, I'd just run my Z over it making sure the back wheels hit every spot.:D

Runner
02-24-2006, 01:02 AM
I do that in concentrated areas of my property, too. Many of times though, I just break out the roller. We have acres over here, including two acres just for our rental house. It's just too time saving NOT to break out the roller. This next year though, it's going to be warfare. It's gonna cost me a bunch of money, but I'm treating for moles...Our main yards are about 4 acres, and we have field to the east of us (right next door to MY house, and 3 more acres of horse pasture that gets mowed to the south of all our property. Treating 4 acres worth will NOT be fun OR cheap, especially since I will have reoccurances from the fields. But, I just have to do it...They are tearing everything up. I could just kill everything off with insecticide, to, but I don't think that's the answer. - Although it MIGHT be.:eek:

ranger351w
02-24-2006, 06:49 AM
I have about the same problem with fields and all. I have three old spring loaded mole traps that you put over the main runs and they will kill them.It may take awhile to find the main runs but once you do it doesn't take long. I do this on cutomers also if they do not have children or live in a area with a lot of children.

A.S.D.S. Mowing

Precision
02-24-2006, 07:30 AM
I do that in concentrated areas of my property, too. Many of times though, I just break out the roller. We have acres over here, including two acres just for our rental house. It's just too time saving NOT to break out the roller. This next year though, it's going to be warfare. It's gonna cost me a bunch of money, but I'm treating for moles...Our main yards are about 4 acres, and we have field to the east of us (right next door to MY house, and 3 more acres of horse pasture that gets mowed to the south of all our property. Treating 4 acres worth will NOT be fun OR cheap, especially since I will have reoccurances from the fields. But, I just have to do it...They are tearing everything up. I could just kill everything off with insecticide, to, but I don't think that's the answer. - Although it MIGHT be.:eek:

Lesco has some new "worms" that you put in the main runs. They supposedly work great. You tromp down the runs, then wait and see which runs reappear. Do that a couple of times, then bait those runs. A box of 50 worms is like $100, but not poison everywhere and you get a great kill rate.

Just a thought. I think it is called molerid.

TURFLORD
02-24-2006, 02:28 PM
If the moles are gone, the ground will heal itself.

TURFLORD
02-24-2006, 02:31 PM
Removing the food source is the best way to control any pest. You can bait those runs all you want but thats not going to prevent a new infestation.