PDA

View Full Version : stonewall vs dimension

griffy77
02-23-2006, 11:42 AM
I havent tried either but loooking at using a pre-emergent in the next week. My question is Stonewall which has baricade claims to control 29 different weeds where as Dimension only controls crabgrass. Wouldnt it make sense to use stonewall over a pre-emergent that only controls crabgrass?

Some feedback from the pros on this would be greatly appreciated.

DUSTYCEDAR
03-20-2006, 10:11 AM
bump--- anyone use stonewall

LawnTamer
03-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Stonewall, hands down try it once and you'll see a huge difference. Worth the $1.05/1000 it costs me.

ArizPestWeed
03-20-2006, 12:34 PM
It makes "Good Common Sense" to use the one that states it controls more grasses , if grass is your target pest !

Good luck , :)

ThreeWide
03-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Stonewall (Barricade) is the clear choice when you are before the crabgrass germination window. It is also easier on the turf than Dimension.

Dimension claims to have some postemergent capability on crabgrass. Therefore if you were past the crabgrass germination window, that might be the only time it makes sense to use. I used it in this scenario last year.

This year I might be more inclined to spray Barricade and mix with Drive or MSMA to address any existing crabgrass on new accounts that started late.

oOTurfmanoO
06-03-2006, 07:11 PM
I have entertained the though of using barricade as my pre-m. The only thing I don't like is the extra long residual effect it has in/on the soil. If you were to make an application of barricade in the spring (as you should), there goes your fall overseeding with aeration. So now what? This is what is holding me back....

TurfProSTL
06-03-2006, 07:20 PM
I have entertained the though of using barricade as my pre-m. The only thing I don't like is the extra long residual effect it has in/on the soil. If you were to make an application of barricade in the spring (as you should), there goes your fall overseeding with aeration. So now what? This is what is holding me back....Check the label. You can dial your rate in for months of control desired.....

oOTurfmanoO
06-03-2006, 07:35 PM
You obviously recommend it then right?

TurfProSTL
06-04-2006, 10:06 AM
You obviously recommend it then right?Yes. A single dose at .75 AIA works here in the transition zone. Our overseeds in early September don't seem to be affected at all. As TurfUnlimited said, use Barricade early in the season. Late starts can be treated with a single dose of Dimension (.37 AIA works here) to take advantage of its better post-emergence control.....

E_Net_Rider
04-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Pertaining to zoysia, I had a severe problem with Johnsongrass, not knowing then it was spread by rhizomes and mulcher mowing.
Application of Stonewall was the answer, definitely. Also worked great on several other problem weeds. Weeds I had to deal with separately were nutgrasses, especially Purple, and annual Poa. I intended to put out Stonewall in one area where it is a big problem, because of runoff from neighbor and their lack of control, last fall to stop germination of Poa. I missed window of time.
Also issues of mid/late season control of knotweed. Generally, very happy with Stonewall.
Local Lesco changed hands since last spring and some of their product line. They had no Stonewall this spring and pushed Dimension. They claimed it better than Stonewall and favored by all of their professional clientell. I gave it a try.
On higher ground, warming more quickly, Zoysia was nice green, and on lower it had not yet come out of dormancy. I put out Dimension at the higher rate for Zoysia.
Big mistake! It killed a number of weeds and slowed down the Poa. The green Zoysia turned yellow and that not out of dormancy has thinned to about one weak looking sprig per square foot. Also weeds, such as carrot weed, have started showing up that I would not have post Stonewall.
In effort to recover, so far 20#/1000 of 10-10-10 and 3 1/2# of 34-0-0 with heavy watering has shown no effect, except in one small area of about 1000 sq.ft. where heavy black soil was added to change contour of landscape. That area, though thin, has taken on the proper green for Zoysia. Note, I had very good to excellent Zoysia last fall.