PDA

View Full Version : prices on a new GM 4500?

CutRight
02-23-2006, 01:43 PM
im in the northeast looking to buy a new GM 4500 maybe 5500. just wanted to see if anyone has bought one resently and whats a good price. and what they think about the truck. I need it basically to tow a 12,000 lbs excavator and have a dumptruck. I'm working on getting my CDL, i know you need taht to two anything over 10,000 lbs., but i want a truck that is under CDL so my father and whoever else needs to can drive it.

cab and chassis (4x4, plow prep, duramax/allison, 17,500 GVWR)
8' or 10' dump body

the dealer says he can have the dump body purchased and put on for me with no extra cost. no mark up. family friend.

Gravel Rat
02-23-2006, 02:32 PM
If your truely looking for a good medium duty dump and you are going to get your CDL you might aswell look into a 5 ton truck like a 4700 International or a M2 Freightliner. You have a 12,000lb excavator you want a truck that will haul a good load I mean when your working on a jobsite you want something that will haul a good load of material.

The 4500 and 5500 are still lightduty trucks with a medium duty cab slapped on it. Go with a true medium duty truck when you got a mini that size then you will beable to do house foundations etc.

CutRight
02-23-2006, 05:04 PM
yea, im definatly considering that option also. as of right now i have not done any house foundations. although im bidding on one to do this spring. mostly small foundations for additions, garages, small site work, digging out stumps and drainage. but it definatly makes sense to have the bigger truck cause who knows what i will get into next.

Ironmower
02-23-2006, 06:25 PM
I would go International, either with the 4300 or 4400 series trucks for your purposes. They are twice the truck that a Chevy is and are less expensive as well. The Chevys are jokes. I had an '04 4500 that cracked the frame pulling well under rated max load and I told myself I'd never make that mistake again.

UNISCAPER
02-23-2006, 10:30 PM
Of the very few 4500 frames that have cracked, the number one reason is because somneone drilled or welded a fifth wheel hitch where it was not supposed to go.

We have 4500, 5500, and 6500 series GM trucks, ranging from 03 to 06.

Not one single problem in 60,000 miles. For what you want to do, honstley, go 6500, the extra beef for a few thousand more dollars is well worth it.

If you want the 4500 series, step up to a 5500 and you can get a 25,900 GVW. Mount a 12' body on it so you can carry more. Cost wise you will be right at 50K for a 4x4. Best truck in it's class for the money. Cornpickers will cost more money, and most of the Frieghtliners in that class come with electric over hydraulic wedge brakes. The tow guys like them but when they need service, they have tendencies to fuse parts together and need to be litterally cut apart. That makes your brake job a $6,000.00 ankle holding adventure.

Ironmower
02-23-2006, 11:47 PM
Of the very few 4500 frames that have cracked, the number one reason is because somneone drilled or welded a fifth wheel hitch where it was not supposed to go.

We have 4500, 5500, and 6500 series GM trucks, ranging from 03 to 06.

Not one single problem in 60,000 miles. For what you want to do, honstley, go 6500, the extra beef for a few thousand more dollars is well worth it.

If you want the 4500 series, step up to a 5500 and you can get a 25,900 GVW. Mount a 12' body on it so you can carry more. Cost wise you will be right at 50K for a 4x4. Best truck in it's class for the money. Cornpickers will cost more money, and most of the Frieghtliners in that class come with electric over hydraulic wedge brakes. The tow guys like them but when they need service, they have tendencies to fuse parts together and need to be litterally cut apart. That makes your brake job a $6,000.00 ankle holding adventure.

I had the dealer put the hitch on mine. It was done according to GM recommendations and specs. GM claimed that I was overloaded but I had a weight receipt from that run that proved that I was well under its rated capacity. That's over and done with now, and $50,000 thrown away. I refuse to own a GM product from that experience, they are simply overrated, underbuilt, and do not stand behind their products.

I replaced that truck with an International and haven't looked back, best money I've ever spent on a truck. I love the DT-466, it is an awesome engine. The Fuller 7 spd. behind it makes it even more of a pleasure to drive as well. The only downfall was when I drove the Chevy on the International lot they just about laughed me off when I told them I wanted to trade it in. Ended up selling it outright though for a big loss but still a few thousand better than their trade allowance quote on it. Apparently these medium duty Chevys have a pretty crappy reputation with the medium and heavy truck guys, at least that's what they told me and it was reflected in the trade in allowance quote.

All my pickups are now Ford F-series (F250-F550) and my heavier trucks are International 4300-4400's and they all are working great for the business.

UNISCAPER
02-24-2006, 12:42 AM
I'm betting there is alot more to it than just that, but OK whatever.

Gravel Rat
02-24-2006, 02:58 PM
When you have a mini thats big enough to do quite a few jobs you really do need a truck that will carry a good load. A good combination for a 12,000lb mini is a tandem axle rolloff truck with a low side bin you could get away with a single axle rolloff but a tandem would be better. You carry the machine on the truck and it doubles as your dump truck no need for a trailer. Got a quick easy job to do drop the box on the ground load up the machine pull the box back on go to the jobsite.