PDA

View Full Version : Strobe use in NJ?

earthmover
02-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Does anyone use a Strobe or LED lights on their trucks in New Jersey without the permit. What kind of trouble could you get in for using a strobe without a permit? Could you even get introuble?:dizzy: By the way getting the permit is imposable, you could only get it if you have a goverment contract. I would only use it for plowing and while parked on the side of a busy street. Thanks Guys.

srl28
02-23-2006, 05:23 PM
I recently asked the same question and the basic response was no, a permit is either not needed or not really checked by officers. Anyone else want to chime in and help earthmover and I out?

Hey earthmover! where in Jersey are you?

maintenanceguy
02-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Get one that can be removed when you go through inspection. I work for a school district and have had our bucket truck fail inspection because we don't have a permit for the light.

We don't even remove the whole light. The base and wires stay. We remove the lense cover and the rotating mechanism inside comes out with two screws...at least on ours.

AintNoFun
02-24-2006, 01:25 AM
you have to get a yellow light permit from DMV. we've had our ballz broken a few times by local cops, finally broke down and got the permit. i think we had to copy all the registrations to all the trucks. we also do DOT work as well and had to forward a few of our invoices to the DMV as well to prove we do work on the roads.. what a headache..

Luvs2Play
02-24-2006, 01:29 AM
Safety takes a permit in NJ. I think being visible to traffic should be acceptable. I never thought about it here, we had them on our pickups while we were flagging fields for aerial applicators, never had to have a permit. I guess, anything to make it more difficult.