PDA

View Full Version : anybody with lights?

jeffnovi306
02-23-2006, 08:33 PM
I want to put a couple lights on my tank, there nice late in the season when it gets dark early., cub sells a kit for $130.00. but I think I can pick some up cheaper than that. I just am not sure how many amps is safe to draw without stressing out the charging system. Anybody got an idea, let me know what you are using, any input is welcome. thanks:usflag:

mike lane lawn care
02-23-2006, 09:58 PM
I love the lights on my mower, it has helped me finish a fall job many, many times. you can get some really good tractor lights at tractor supply. look in your manual, it should tell you in the specs, what type charging system it is. something like 14-16 amps would sound right though.

Envy Lawn Service
02-23-2006, 10:22 PM
$130 sounds like a lot to me also.
Hold on....

joshua
02-23-2006, 10:40 PM
i spent around $40 or $50 on the lights for my mower. all the wire, toggle switch ( on/off ) and the lights i got at auto zone. very simple hook up brighter than the lights that exmark had.

chefdrp
02-24-2006, 12:12 AM
I sound like i should work for Lesco. My sales rep called me and told me about a new light kit they now have for the ZTWO. And thats the same as the TANK. So i bet its much cheaper if you call Lesco.

Runner
02-24-2006, 12:44 AM
Too easy to do. A Tractor supply utility light (go with the spot, not the flood- I've tried both), wire, a toggle, fuse, and fusable link. I fabricated my own bracket out of angle iron. Let me see if can find the link to the thread that has my pictures on it....
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=53539&page=2&highlight=angle+light

I just took a piece of angle iron, cut a 90 degree "V" in one side, folded it over and welded it. I then drilled it, painted it, and bolted it to the side of the mower. The wire goes directly to the battery. I can turn it on even when the mower is off.

riches139
02-24-2006, 06:35 AM
Why did you put in a fuseable link?

Dixie Rob
02-24-2006, 06:50 AM
I don't know about your tank, but I am going to install lights on my Dixie and the factory rep told me no more than 25 Amps and it would not void my warranty and wouldn't stress the system.

You can get some darn good fog lights/running lights at your local parts store that will be way less than 25 Amps. I was thinkin of some little self enclosure 55w fog lights for mine.

Envy Lawn Service
02-24-2006, 10:03 AM
I sound like i should work for Lesco. My sales rep called me and told me about a new light kit they now have for the ZTWO. And thats the same as the TANK. So i bet its much cheaper if you call Lesco.

Yeah, that's what I said "hold on...." about.

But the dang Lesco website is so screwed up and non-functioning since they changed it that I just said screw it while trying to find it.

:hammerhead:

mowerman90
02-24-2006, 10:47 AM
A couple of weeks ago I field tested a Dixon for Turf magazine and was impressed with the light setup they use. One light on the front of each gas tank and a third one aimed at the trim side of the deck. This makes sense because this is an area that needs good light so you won't bang into stuff.

jeffnovi306
02-24-2006, 05:31 PM
cool, thanks for all the input everybody!!! And the pics too. That gives me some ideas. I knew there had to be a cheaper way than the cub kit for 130. thanks again.:)

MDLawnman
02-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Sweeet setups!

Runner
02-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Why did you put in a fuseable link?
Just for the added security. This way I am sure not to burn anything up. The charging system is more than adequate for running this light, and this is an Electronic Fuel Injected unit. (the mower, not the light lol)

Envy Lawn Service
02-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Just for the added security. This way I am sure not to burn anything up. The charging system is more than adequate for running this light, and this is an Electronic Fuel Injected unit. (the mower, not the light lol)

You are braver than I....
I would be chicken to put anything on an EFI unit.

Anyhow... how do you figure out what your mower's electrical system will handle for lights?