PDA

View Full Version : Switch from owning to working for

Zachary52902
02-23-2006, 09:42 PM
It has been a while since i had posted. Since then I have sold my business and am now assistant manager of a Commercial Lawn Maintenance department. Making the switch was tough. I did primarily residential. I thought I knew alot about landscaping but have come to realize that commercial maintenance is a whole new ball game. I have been here two years now and have learned stuff I never knew I would. I am thinking about making the switch and starting over again but am not sure. There seems to be alot more out there to learn. What are your guys thoughts. Should i try and ease my way back on my own or stay here and see what else I can learn. But from what I have learned there is alot of money out there from commercial properties, you just have to know how to get it. There are always gonna be those guys out there that are cheaper and but quality is what makes you stand out from the rest.

Cutters Lawn Care
02-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Would you care to share some of the things you have learned working for a larger company?

sanfordandsonfan
02-23-2006, 11:30 PM
I admire you for taking the steps to get that experience. Even though I have been in business for five years, I wish I had more landscape/lawncare work experience. I worked for small city's and government work is nothing like running your own business. Take it all in, everything you can. Ask a ton of questions if you are able. When your ready, you will know. The best of luck to you.

Doster's L & L
02-24-2006, 05:27 AM
I don't think it would be a bad idea to go ahead and start doing some small jobs for the weekend. You'd make better money and pick up some clientele in the process.