PDA

View Full Version : NEW TRUCK w/surprise

STUMP JUMPER
04-19-2001, 03:05 AM
Am feeling very lucky today! I recently puchased a 76' 3/4 ton chev pick-up from an individual who's wife was having a baby.

When I test drove it I was very impressed on how tight the motor and the whole truck in general was. I payed 2'500 for it and figured if something went wrong no biggie.

Today when I got home from work there was an envelope stuck in my door, it was all the reciepts from the truck and the service records from when he owned it.

The list of stuff he did was amazing. To make a long story short. The motor has 4,000 wrapped into it alone.

My question is; what would posses someone to sell a truck in this condition for so cheap? I have had zero problems with it and it leaks no fluid at all.

The Stump Jumper

Garet
04-19-2001, 03:25 PM
ago was all this work done to the truck?

STUMP JUMPER
04-19-2001, 08:13 PM
mid 2000 to late 2000

thelawnguy
04-19-2001, 11:15 PM
"My question is; what would posses someone to sell a truck in this condition for so cheap? "

Probably they got tired of dumping money into a bottomless money pit. Chances are they know something else major is heading south so cut their losses while they could.

FWIW in my area 2500 for a 25 year old truck is no bargain.

85w/350
04-19-2001, 11:32 PM
I hear ya I could still kick myself for coming across an 85 silverado 2wd original owner and 305 all reciepts perfect condition garage kept $1500 but i still dont complain about my 85 GMC Sierra Classic I now have with almost all reciepts parents knew the last owner and I am the fourth to own it...Two year old goodrich 350, the paints not perfect, but unique...still get offered 3500 on the spot for it and i pass it by round here because its probably worth 4500 or somethign around there still more than that of a 5yr old ford ranger ;) I guess on average a truck like the one you picked up here in south Louisiana would probably sell for close to twice what you paid for it even thoguh its a 76

GREG R
04-20-2001, 01:01 AM
You said it "Wife having baby"

dan deutekom
04-20-2001, 06:46 PM
I.ve noticed a lot of times when people dump a lot of money onto a truck they get fed up and think it will never end. Funny thing most get rid of them cheap just as the money pit factor ends! Good deal for some lucky people

John DiMartino
04-20-2001, 09:35 PM
you need a pile of money if your going to run a 25 year old truck regularly without being able to do 95% of the repairs yourself.Here shop labor runs from a low of $40 an hr to $75 an hr.Average is 55.So simple things will add up quickly.I have a few in laws that know squat about trucks-they buy an old junk truck for 1500 and think Im going to keep it running for them-as if I dont have enough to do already.I dont even buy 1500 dollar trucks,since they require constant wrenching most of the time.

04-20-2001, 09:55 PM
John - agreed on the need to do most of your own repair work to keep an older unit running affordably.

Dan - I think one reason people sell them when the "money pit" phase is pretty much over is the fact that the project is essentially finished. The truck gets sold to make room for the next project.

In my case, my truck is also an "ongoing project" since I like to tinker, build & modify. Other than rebuild the transmission and transfer case/axles and do machining work on the engine, I can (and have!) handle just about any repair that needs doing. My truck had been "rode hard and put away wet" when I bought it, but over time just about every part on it has been repaired/rebuilt/modified - the "money pit" stage. Now it's mostly the routine ongoing maintenance and any changes I feel like making, such as installing a new winch last month.

No plans to sell though! ;)

So my opinion is, if you can handle & don't mind doing your own repair work there's nothing wrong with running an older truck. If that's not practical for whatever reason, you're probably better off with something new(er)

Garet
04-21-2001, 03:42 PM
These trucks are not really worth anything no matter how much money is poured into them. I mean you can't turn a Gremlin into a mercedes. A jacked up Chevy offroading glory truck might be worth some coin, but this is because it is wanted option. Just putting money in the engine does no good because it is a truck and since trucks aren't cars, they don't need fancy engines, they need a fancy suspension and running gear.

RTallday
04-22-2001, 09:57 AM
The value is not so much in the re-selling of these trucks, i found that people who buy the older trucks, at least the poople who are a part of this forum, are going to do the work needed and probably keep the trucks for a while. After you do so much to a truck, its hard to sell it unless u need the money. Thats why the people who sold STUMP JUMPER the truck, probably needed cash, and he lucked out cause all the work had been done to it. Good luck STUMP JUMPER.
-Rich

Deere John
04-22-2001, 02:32 PM
Good luck with the truck. My advice would be to not expect to plow reliably with it. I know you didn't mention that as a option, but the idear will probably pass by you at some point as I suspect you get snow in Vancouver. The temptation of making $$$ with a combined investment on only $4,000 ($2,500 + 1,500 plow) is there, but not realistic. With few exceptions (our honourable member 75 from Orillia being one of them), most people don't have the ability to work an older vehicle hard and keep the availability up to what is required.

Enjoy it for a pleasure truck - I still like that vintage - 1980 was my favourite year.

[Edited by Deere John on 04-22-2001 at 01:37 PM]

plowjockey
04-22-2001, 11:19 PM
Love my 85! Let me say that again love plowing with my 85 and having no problems so far.

Bruce

66Construction
04-23-2001, 12:18 AM
I did that once with a truck. I just got sick and tired of having it towed home, I spent more time working on it then I did driving it. It was white and I had worked on the engine so long the dirt and grease was groung into the paint on the fenders and also by the doors from grabing the side of the truck to roll the creeper out. I traded it in got 2000 for it. Every single part on it had no more then 30,000 miles on it except the computer. I put about 8000 into it and did all of it myself but rebuilding the transmission. It just got to me mentaly, I love to work on trucks but it gets old when it's constantly broken. Swaping parts, making it lound, fast, that's fun. Having to work on someting constantly that you depend on keeps me up at night!! Having a baby definitly seems why the guy sold it but I can also see just being fed up with the truck.
Casey

Randy Scott
04-23-2001, 12:36 AM
It doesn't matter how much money is stuck into something, it is still only worth so much money. Whatever the market will pay for something like that. A '76 3/4 ton truck will only bring so much money. A little more for a cleaner one and a little less for a rat.

plowjockey
04-23-2001, 08:32 AM
Very true, Randy.
It's this funny little thing that humans seem to go through we call sentimentality. No real explaination but I've seen people with old junkers and with real nuggets of cash sitting in their yard and neither would sell it for all the tea in China. (No that's just a saying, I 'aint going there!)

Bruce

mike reeh
04-23-2001, 09:13 PM
typically when people (I) put money into a (my) truck, they (I) dont do it so its worth more to someone else, but so its worth more to them (me)

id gladly spend 10K on my truck because I dont plan to sell it. I dont care if i *knew* that Id never get more than 10% out of it, id still do it.

thats my $0.02

mike

Razzlo
04-24-2001, 10:26 AM
And lets not forget, it is still less expensive than making a truck payment of $500+- EACH MONTH for 5 YEARS!!!!!!. I don't think ANY of us could put $6000 a year into our old reliables even if we tried. FYI, I did a blue book check on my truck ('84 C10 350/TH350 - 150K miles, 20K on crate engine and rebuilt trans). It said $750!!!!. BUT... i know that I can resell it for more, just because. Even though I only get 10-12 MPG, i.e. @ $2+ /GAL., $30+ /week, my wife LOVES it because it keeps me out of her hair and in the garage!!!!. MAN... If I put even $5K into my truck, it would be a new truck!!!!!. Just my $2/gal.
Razzlo.

85w/350
04-24-2001, 07:26 PM
In my situation being that I am almost 20 and in college its a great deal for me to have my 85 c-10. No car note, gas guzzler but still cheaper than a car note. More horsepower than most newer vehicles. And if something goes wrong why hook it up to a computer and then research the codes...just pop the hood and figure it out yourself. Plus being that its a 350 engine there are a million of them and parts are cheap. All of these fit into a tight budget and I find my truck more reliable than alot of friends cars(mostly because they abuse them). So it really doesnt matter how much you put into a truck or anything else its what its worth to you and if you decide to sell it what its worth to the next guy--usually much more than the bluebook value.

plowking35
04-24-2001, 10:11 PM
I can fully rebuild a mid 80's chevy 3/4 or 1 ton for well under 10K run it for 5-8 yrs and still get 8-10K for it. Look in any truck swapper and a mid 80's chevy in nice shape will get 8-10k every day of the week. They are stone cold reliable, and built tough. I bought an 84 K-20 two winters ago and it plowed every storm 1/2 of it with a spreader in it and never had a problem. I payed 2500 and have gotten every penny back plus some. This year it will have the body done, and I know I could turn it around for between 5-7K no problem. While these trucks will be only worth so much, their value will also only go so low.
Dino

plowjockey
04-24-2001, 11:19 PM
And don't forget, Dino. Everybody looks spiffy in a "bowtie".

Bruce