PDA

View Full Version : Bird's Nest

PurpHaze
02-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Great contractor work... NOT!!! There's actually a 4" main line just a few more inches down that has a leak in the tee that supplied the valves. We'll take the Bobcat in and rip everything out and then rebuild from scratch after repairs are made. :hammerhead:

PurpHaze
02-23-2006, 11:27 PM
Maybe this picture will show things a little better.

Critical Care
02-23-2006, 11:28 PM
Uh huh, and the beat goes on, and the beat goes on... :hammerhead:

PurpHaze
02-23-2006, 11:30 PM
I'd like to :hammerhead: a particular LameScape company.

Dirty Water
02-23-2006, 11:30 PM
but RainScape is such a clever name :laugh:

PurpHaze
02-23-2006, 11:34 PM
As God as my witness I've NEVER identified this contractor on this forum. :laugh:

Flow Control
02-24-2006, 08:50 AM
What are you talking about Purple,:nono:

I installed that myself just a few years ago, it looks fine :clapping: :dizzy: :laugh:

PurpHaze
02-24-2006, 08:55 AM
OK... Now that I know you're in the midwest you'll be easier to find. :laugh:

Squizzy246B
02-24-2006, 09:20 AM
We'll take the Bobcat in and rip everything out

YYYEEEEsssSSsSSSSSSS!!...Pick me pick me:laugh:

PurpHaze
02-24-2006, 09:27 AM
YYYEEEEsssSSsSSSSSSS!!...Pick me pick me:laugh:

This is underground work Squizzy... something you're not used to. But I'm sure you could handle the "rip and tear" demolition part of the job. :laugh:

PurpHaze
02-24-2006, 09:31 AM
Come to think of it we have a 6" main that has to be excavated today for repairs. Problem is that it's in right-center field of the varsity baseball field. I'm not worried about the actual repair becasue we've done these types hundreds of times. There's a leak at a coupling and all we'll have to do is baker in a new length of pipe. But I just know there's going to be turf damage from the Bobcat that will require a little cosmetic work afterwards.

Critical Care
02-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Wait a minute Mr. Hayes! What do you mean that ol' Squizzy isn't used to underground work? After all, he is Downunder isn't he?

sheshovel
02-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Heck that's not even to code like that!

koster_irrigation
02-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Im going to start carrying my camera to jobsites more often. I can give purphaze a run for his money. Since were on the subject, ive got a place in my shop that we hang things up on the wall from when we dig up crap installed by the competition.

I'll list a few one day. One to note: seems like i have two telescopic 1 1/2" couplings connecting each other with a 1 1/2" coupling mending 1" pvc. A local competitor installed it funny as hell.

Critical Care
02-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Im going to start carrying my camera to jobsites more often. I can give purphaze a run for his money.

You could be hard pressed to give Hayesee baby a run for his money. I've worked at a couple of school districts down in sunny Cal, and work off and on for one up here, and it will always amaze me at the things that can be "uncovered" at some schools. Never a dull moment.

But... nevertheless, it would be interesting to see what you dig up as well. After all, you're in North Carolina, and who knows what goes there!

Squizzy246B
02-24-2006, 08:31 PM
This is underground work Squizzy... something you're not used to.

Hah!..Underground, Aboveground and sometimes Airborne!! you name it, wev'e been there..wherever there is irrigation to be ripped up, we can get at it:) :laugh: :dizzy:

I'll have to get you around to my place Hayes...I think the guys who did the install here were smoking something?..They seem to have had a competition to see just how much PVC they could bury in one 1/4 acre block. They even had sprinker lines crossing each other, not connected, just got to the end and said whoops, we need a sprinkler over there!.

Dirty Water
02-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Why wait for the bobcat? Get one of these and take out the entire system in one scoop:

http://www.findstone.com/img/rs517CAT345BL.jpg

PurpHaze
02-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Wait a minute Mr. Hayes! What do you mean that ol' Squizzy isn't used to underground work? After all, he is Downunder isn't he?

Sometimes when he raids this forum I feel like burrying him "down under" just for the hell of it. But... I get even by raiding him in the hardscape forum. :laugh:

PurpHaze
02-24-2006, 10:22 PM
Heck that's not even to code like that!

What??? If you're talking about the jumbled mess there really isn't any actual code when it comes to irrigation. Code only deals with the backflow and electrical aspects of a system. Specifications pertain to what we'd like done but these guys can't read anyway. :)

PurpHaze
02-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Im going to start carrying my camera to jobsites more often. I can give purphaze a run for his money.

Bring it on!!! :laugh:

PurpHaze
02-24-2006, 10:26 PM
Hah!..Underground, Aboveground and sometimes Airborne!! you name it, wev'e been there..wherever there is irrigation to be ripped up, we can get at it:) :laugh: :dizzy:

My, my... quite talented aren't we? :laugh:

I'll have to get you around to my place Hayes...I think the guys who did the install here were smoking something?..They seem to have had a competition to see just how much PVC they could bury in one 1/4 acre block. They even had sprinker lines crossing each other, not connected, just got to the end and said whoops, we need a sprinkler over there!.

Sounds like one of those contractors that puts 1000 spray pop-ups in instead of 100 rotors so he can bill out more. :dizzy:

PurpHaze
02-24-2006, 10:28 PM
Why wait for the bobcat? Get one of these and take out the entire system in one scoop.

Now, now Jon. I want to selectively rip out things... NOT all the trees, sidewalks and buildings at the same time. :dancing:

Critical Care
02-24-2006, 10:36 PM
If what Jon has to offer doesn't work, here is another possibility.

PurpHaze
02-24-2006, 10:41 PM

Hell... Those would rip out the entire school with just a couple scoops. :clapping:

Dirty Water
02-24-2006, 10:56 PM

Gotta love frontshovels.

Lazer_Z
02-25-2006, 11:29 AM
O&K RH 400? the yellow one is a Demag correct?

Rob

PurpHaze
02-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Reminds me of the TV series "Megamachines" on History Channel and NG Channel. They always have monster machines mostly for the mining industry. :)

Critical Care
02-25-2006, 04:16 PM
O&K RH 400? the yellow one is a Demag correct?

Rob

Not really sure. I didn't buy that one.

sheshovel
02-25-2006, 05:29 PM
Code in this county is irrigation pvc must be set at least 12 to 16 inches inderground

PurpHaze
02-25-2006, 08:54 PM
I think that's a "secret code" in most areas. :laugh:

Wet_Boots
02-25-2006, 11:48 PM
And how do you inspect for compliance? Remove a foot of soil and look for exposed piping? :p

jerryrwm
02-26-2006, 01:23 AM
Sheshovel,

Is that a written code that is actually on the books or is it more of an unwritten code that is "strongly encouraged" by some inspector?

sheshovel
02-26-2006, 01:29 AM
For not freezing purposes
Nope I couldent find it in the code cuz I have no idea what I am talking about really.
just messing with Purp's mind again..sorry you took it for real

Dirty Water
02-26-2006, 02:17 AM
3" is enough for not freezing in almost all but the coldest of climates

bicmudpuppy
02-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Jon, You just got to get out more. We're transition zone temperate, and thanks to this screwy weather, haven't had a "winter" for a few years, but frost free depth here is near 18". If 3" of cover was enough to prevent freezing, a lot of us would STARVE to death every winter. (i.e. those blowout checks let us be lazy while you slug in da mud) BUT, you spread those rumors, I know some hungry guys who like to fix freeze damage. I just don't happen to be one of them. Digging 20' lengths of shattered pipe is not my idea of a good time.

PurpHaze
02-26-2006, 12:05 PM
For not freezing purposes
Nope I couldent find it in the code cuz I have no idea what I am talking about really.
just messing with Purp's mind again..sorry you took it for real

And did you notice that I didn't bite and posted a funny one that I hoped you'd get? :dizzy:

Dirty Water
02-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Jon, You just got to get out more. We're transition zone temperate, and thanks to this screwy weather, haven't had a "winter" for a few years, but frost free depth here is near 18". If 3" of cover was enough to prevent freezing, a lot of us would STARVE to death every winter. (i.e. those blowout checks let us be lazy while you slug in da mud) BUT, you spread those rumors, I know some hungry guys who like to fix freeze damage. I just don't happen to be one of them. Digging 20' lengths of shattered pipe is not my idea of a good time.

I stand corrected, that must be damn cold.

It gets into the teens here during night, and still only freezes about 3" down.

Critical Care
02-26-2006, 02:10 PM

Uh huh, and you keep showing us and telling us all about this heavy equipment that you have. All for trenching down three inches? Ain't that overkill, Jon boy?

Around here, we trench down until we hit the molten magma. Actually the stinking basalt and lava will give us problems well before that. And, if you'll excuse the expression, some guys will settle for only six inches.

PurpHaze
02-26-2006, 02:12 PM
It gets into the teens here during night, and still only freezes about 3" down.

We have "dry heat" during the summer so you guys up there must have "wet cold" during the winter. :laugh:

PurpHaze
02-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Uh huh, and you keep showing us and telling us all about this heavy equipment that you have. All for trenching down three inches? Ain't that overkill, Jon boy?

Touche!!! :dancing:

Around here, we trench down until we hit the molten magma. Actually the stinking basalt and lava will give us problems well before that. And, if you'll excuse the expression, some guys will settle for only six inches.

I've always heard that Bend women are satisfied with six inches. :laugh:

Dirty Water
02-26-2006, 02:24 PM
I should clarify that just because it doesn't freeze deeper than 3" or so here, that doesn't mean we put out pipe at 3". It doesn't freeze where Hayes is, does he run his pipe under the sod? :laugh:

We go with 12"-14" with the plow or trencher, or 10" if we are hand digging.

PurpHaze
02-26-2006, 02:29 PM
I should clarify that just because it doesn't freeze deeper than 3" or so here, that doesn't mean we put out pipe at 3". It doesn't freeze where Hayes is, does he run his pipe under the sod? :laugh:

Actually, I've seen some areas where the pipe is on TOP of the ground. :laugh:

We go with 12"-14" with the plow or trencher, or 10" if we are hand digging.

I try and stay around 12" on laterals. On some projects around buildings with a lot of utilities I'm lucky if I get 8" of cover.

sheshovel
02-26-2006, 04:06 PM
This is in Fresno County Code dear Purp

Dirty Water
02-26-2006, 04:31 PM

I just read that whole thing, pretty similar code up here about laying city water mains and sewer lines.

Not a thing in there about irrigation though.

Were you just joking around?

sheshovel
02-26-2006, 07:18 PM
Yes Dirty..try to keep up with us will you?Read 22-8

Dirty Water
02-26-2006, 07:25 PM
Sorry, my sarcasm meter is broken today. I would have kept up with you, but I was too busy reading 40 pages of Fresno Water codes.

PurpHaze
02-26-2006, 09:28 PM

Cool... But I'm in Tulare County. :laugh:

PurpHaze
02-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Yes Dirty..try to keep up with us will you? Read 22-8

Clean backfill and tamping for the initial 12" of cover? Nothing new since this is pretty standard OP for domestic lines. Although this is also great for irrigation lines I doubt very seriously if it's followed and/or inspected. Even if an irrigation main is connected to a domestic water supply it ceases being a true domestic line at the backflow since it is no longer potable water. :dancing:

PurpHaze
02-26-2006, 09:34 PM
Sorry, my sarcasm meter is broken today. I would have kept up with you, but I was too busy reading 40 pages of Fresno Water codes.

Thanks for taking her on while I was watching golf and the NASCAR race. You ALWAYS have to read between the lines where Sheshovel is concerned. :laugh:

PurpHaze
03-01-2006, 10:21 PM
OK... Can of worms finished. :clapping:

sheshovel
03-01-2006, 10:27 PM
tHE GLUEING IS MUCH MUCH BETTER NOW!Good job one that one purp

PurpHaze
03-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks... I glued this one. Can't help dripping on the main when glueing pipe above it though. :dizzy:

sheshovel
03-01-2006, 10:36 PM
:I could tell I really could tell that you had glued this one!
I just knew it in my heart!:clapping: :clapping: