PDA

View Full Version : fly fishing

fyshstykr
02-23-2006, 11:39 PM
does anyone else on here use a flyrod or fish ???:waving:

geogunn
02-24-2006, 12:07 AM
of course! but usually for panfish. occasionally I will get a smallie or a largemouth.

fly fishing for trout is HUGE here but I don't get off on stock and take fisheries.

I prefer using the automatic reels which proves I am not a purist but I still have fun.

GEO :)

GreginAlaska
02-24-2006, 05:10 AM
I used to flyfish for salmon when I was a teenager. I'm going to have to get me another rig this summer and try it again.

ghost
02-24-2006, 07:49 AM
Limestone streams and dry fly's is all I do in the summer. Pa has some great fly fishing. I use to teach tying for 8 years but just don't have the time anymore.:cry: But i still get out every week when the weather breaks. Got a nice tattoo of a brook trout .

lugnut#6
02-24-2006, 08:00 AM
fish almost every day.in between appointments,meetings,daycare,jobs,or any other time that i have a few minutes to spare.i'll stop and make a few cast.
caught 4 specks yesterday.smallest was 22"s the largest was 24".on topwater in febuary no less.

i have two custom wrapped G Loomis GL3s PR842 7' rods with shimano stradic 4000FHs spooled with 10lb test.

i may not know sh!t about cutting grass and running a business.....but i can fish:)

Rtom45
02-24-2006, 08:01 AM
For about 40 years now. Yesterday after work I was out for about an hour and a half, steelhead fishing. Water was dark/clear and I was using 4# flourocarbon tippet just to get a hit. Had 2 on, both broke off. Oh well, I always let them go anyhow. Steelhead on a flyrod are a blast!

Duck Dodger
02-24-2006, 09:47 AM
I have always wanted to learn. My freinds are always trying to get me to go bass fishing or whatever out on the lake but it seems boring to me. Fly fishing appears to take much more skill and appears to be constant movement. What is a good way to get started without knowing anyone to teach me.

kirk brown
02-24-2006, 10:11 AM
mostly as a teenager but i`m planning on getting back into it.
sometimes i`ll watch " a river runs through it " and i`ll get the bug.

fyshstykr
02-25-2006, 04:01 AM
Alright !!! glad to see fans of the "longrod" on here, been doing it myself since I was about 12 years old. Still my favorite way but I will use almost any method to catch fish.
Hey "Greginalaska" I am so envious of you, if I lived there I would never get anything done because I would always be knee deep somewhere, hope to make it up that way someday.:cry: :cry: :cry:
"Ghost" I fish on top most of the time here also ,Ispend a lot of time on the South fork of the snake river,the Henry's fork and the Green river, have you ever been out this way ?
LUGNUT#6, I have not fished "coastal water" before, but seen it on the tube and it looks like fun. specks and redfish look like a hoot!!!!
gotta go but I will get back to you all in a while. So keep your rods bent. fysh.
:drinkup: :drinkup:

ghost
02-25-2006, 04:20 AM
Where do you live Fyshstykr?:drinkup:

ECS
02-25-2006, 11:09 AM
Started to get into it a few years ago and love it. Wish I had more time to spend on the river, but one needs to work and make money over R&R when the chips are down. Hopefully, this year will give me more time to learn and spend on the river. Have been on the South Fork of the Snake twice and will be on there agin come July. Would like to do the Green this year also. Have never done the Henry's but will do it one of these days.

LADYBIRD
02-25-2006, 11:46 AM
I love any kinda fishing but fly fishing ai quite the art. I live in ontario Canada and its always tasty to work hard all day grab a 12 pack and hit up the grand river for some trout. If you americans can ever take a day off come up to the French river or Espanola in ontario. If you like pike or muskie the big ones we got.

fyshstykr
02-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Where do you live Fyshstykr?:drinkup:
Northern Utah :usflag:

GreginAlaska
02-25-2006, 02:09 PM
"..
Hey "Greginalaska" I am so envious of you, if I lived there I would never get anything done because I would always be knee deep somewhere, hope to make it up that way someday.:cry: :cry: :cry:
..."

Well a good part of the time you would be breaking through ice to get "knee deep". ;) :laugh:

Ice fishing...that's something I haven't done in a long time either.

mcwlandscaping
02-25-2006, 03:01 PM
I love fishing, preferably in other seasons besides winter, but, i love it anytime, turning 16 this year, sucks, ill have to buy a lisense by the middle of this year:cry:

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
02-25-2006, 03:03 PM
I do not fly fish. It looks like a lot of fun though. I go on vacationi a lot in VA on the Rapidan River and they do a lot of fly fishing down there. Someone has offered to teach us, so one of these days I think I will take them up on it. So cool to watch.

fyshstykr
02-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Well a good part of the time you would be breaking through ice to get "knee deep". ;) :laugh:

Ice fishing...that's something I haven't done in a long time either.
oops! yea I should have said in the summer on those long, long, days. does it seem weird to have days last for 20 hours? how long have you lived there?
fysh.

fyshstykr
02-25-2006, 10:41 PM
Started to get into it a few years ago and love it. Wish I had more time to spend on the river, but one needs to work and make money over R&R when the chips are down. Hopefully, this year will give me more time to learn and spend on the river. Have been on the South Fork of the Snake twice and will be on there agin come July. Would like to do the Green this year also. Have never done the Henry's but will do it one of these days.
My wife and I love the South fork in July and August, gonna start hitting the Green in about 3 weeks, best time to go there is early spring and late fall when the traffic is down.

Here we are on the South fork last Sept, cold morning but turned out to be a great day.

Average fish on Green River, spring trip.

A nice day in the ranch, Henry's Fork.

The wife always kicks my a$$, Upper Henry's.

Let's see some of your pics!
fysh

gene gls
02-25-2006, 11:18 PM
I used to flyfish a lot, before I started cutting grass.Haven't touched a rod in about 10 years. Did some charter fishing out of Henderson Harbor with some friends for a few years. Its all fun. The water is very relaxing. My helper has been bugging me to get my boat out of storage. Might just do it this year...

Gene

gene gls
02-25-2006, 11:35 PM
I have always wanted to learn. My freinds are always trying to get me to go bass fishing or whatever out on the lake but it seems boring to me. Fly fishing appears to take much more skill and appears to be constant movement. What is a good way to get started without knowing anyone to teach me.

Go to a good sport shop that has some one knowledgable about fly fishing and ask them to set you up with an outfit. Ask them to explaine the set up and how it works. It gets expensive so start out with an all purpose light weight 8' rod. Go to a lake with lots of open space and try to catch pan fish. As you progress with your skills then specialize with your equipment and different kinds of fish. There is a knack to flipping a fly, some have it and some never get it.

Gene

ECS
02-26-2006, 11:23 AM
My wife and I love the South fork in July and August, gonna start hitting the Green in about 3 weeks, best time to go there is early spring and late fall when the traffic is down.

Here we are on the South fork last Sept, cold morning but turned out to be a great day.

Average fish on Green River, spring trip.

A nice day in the ranch, Henry's Fork.

The wife always kicks my a$$, Upper Henry's.

Let's see some of your pics!
fysh
Great pictures. The first pictures yo will see are when a buddy & me rode into the mountains on horse and did a little stream fishing. I took the pictures of my buddy fishing. This little stream is loaded with 4-8 inchers and hit anything you toss at them. Makes for some good lunch during hunting season. :) The last pictures are of myself & wife on the South Fork. Hope you enjoy them.

Click here for slideshow (http://www.jacksonholewyoming.net/coppermine2/displayimage.php?album=24&pid=171&slideshow=5000)

fyshstykr
02-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Great pictures. The first pictures yo will see are when a buddy & me rode into the mountains on horse and did a little stream fishing. I took the pictures of my buddy fishing. This little stream is loaded with 4-8 inchers and hit anything you toss at them. Makes for some good lunch during hunting season. :) The last pictures are of myself & wife on the South Fork. Hope you enjoy them.

Click here for slideshow (http://www.jacksonholewyoming.net/coppermine2/displayimage.php?album=24&pid=171&slideshow=5000)
Hey now that looks like fun and it don't matter if their on the small side if you can catch em all day long, that is what it is all about. do you ever pack in to the head waters of the Yellowstone ?
Does your wife like flyfishing too ? My wife will stay on the water longer than me most times. Man I love that woman !!!!!:)
fysh.

fyshstykr
02-26-2006, 02:33 PM
I used to flyfish a lot, before I started cutting grass.Haven't touched a rod in about 10 years. Did some charter fishing out of Henderson Harbor with some friends for a few years. Its all fun. The water is very relaxing. My helper has been bugging me to get my boat out of storage. Might just do it this year...

Gene
Don't you have stripers and bluefish up your way?
fysh.

fyshstykr
02-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Go to a good sport shop that has some one knowledgable about fly fishing and ask them to set you up with an outfit. Ask them to explaine the set up and how it works. It gets expensive so start out with an all purpose light weight 8' rod. Go to a lake with lots of open space and try to catch pan fish. As you progress with your skills then specialize with your equipment and different kinds of fish. There is a knack to flipping a fly, some have it and some never get it.

Gene
Good advice,also find someone that knows how to cast and go to a local park and just practice your technique, I believe that is the most common problem for people just starting, it can be frustrating to try and teach yourself.
As for equipment I would say an 8' or an 8',6" rod in a 5/6 wt would get you started and maybe start with a double taper line. and don't practice on the pavement ! yes I have seen people do this and it is very hard on a flyline.
See if you have a "trout unlimited" chapter nearby, should be plenty of people there that would offer advice.:)
fysh.

GreginAlaska
02-26-2006, 04:22 PM
oops! yea I should have said in the summer on those long, long, days. does it seem weird to have days last for 20 hours? how long have you lived there?
fysh.

I was born here in the 50's. I've lived here all my life except for a few years after high school. I have spent a fair amount of time out of the country doing different things, but Alaska was my home base.

Since I was raised here, the long days and nights don't bother me, but it does bother a lot of people. I actually love the long days in the summer, I don't need as much sleep then and you can spend a lot more time doing whatever.

Where I work on the Arctic Coast, the sun just spins around in a circle during part of the summer...it never drops below the horizon. In winter we have some time where it never comes above the horizon.

ECS
02-26-2006, 07:44 PM
Where I work on the Arctic Coast, the sun just spins around in a circle during part of the summer...it never drops below the horizon. In winter we have some time where it never comes above the horizon.
Honey, I am going fishing. I will be back at dark. :clapping: :drinkup:

ECS
02-26-2006, 07:46 PM
Hey now that looks like fun and it don't matter if their on the small side if you can catch em all day long, that is what it is all about. do you ever pack in to the head waters of the Yellowstone ?
Does your wife like flyfishing too ? My wife will stay on the water longer than me most times. Man I love that woman !!!!!:)
fysh.
Yes my wife loves it as much as me. We sometime will hit the Gros Ventre in the late afternoon because it is only 5 min. away, same with the Snake around here. I want to do more of the mountain streams this year, see more elk country and get some good fishing in at the same time.

gene gls
02-26-2006, 08:11 PM
Don't you have stripers and bluefish up your way?
fysh.

Yes,but that is a different game. My step brother was into that, most every weekend he could get away. I was never impressed with salt water fishing.

fyshstykr
02-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Yes,but that is a different game. My step brother was into that, most every weekend he could get away. I was never impressed with salt water fishing.
A lot of people chase em with a flyrod,I would like to try it but I would need to build a 10 wt rod for em, we do chase wipers here, nice and close to my home, only about 5 mins away. lotta fun to get off work and head out lookin for boils. fysh.

fyshstykr
02-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Yes my wife loves it as much as me. We sometime will hit the Gros Ventre in the late afternoon because it is only 5 min. away, same with the Snake around here. I want to do more of the mountain streams this year, see more elk country and get some good fishing in at the same time.
Hey E.C.S my wife wants to know if you take care of Harrison Fords place ? If you do, could you sneek her in to his shower ? she is whooped on the man !
fysh.

GreginAlaska
02-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Honey, I am going fishing. I will be back at dark. :clapping: :drinkup:

That's actually an old joke up here...and one that will make my wife throw stuff at me...then she says "Hang on, I'm going with you." :laugh:

Rtom45
02-27-2006, 08:58 AM
My wife just told me if I don't quit fishing, she's going to leave me.
Damn, I'm going to miss that woman.

fyshstykr
02-27-2006, 01:44 PM
My wife just told me if I don't quit fishing, she's going to leave me.
Damn, I'm going to miss that woman.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ECS
02-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Hey E.C.S my wife wants to know if you take care of Harrison Fords place ? If you do, could you sneek her in to his shower ? she is whooped on the man !
fysh.
Tell her I am sorry that I can not help her with that. He is very rarely ever here as of last few years. There is some great fishing on the Snake where he lives though, from what I have been told. I know someone that sneaks into his portion of the Snake and fishes. He doesn't have a boat to float down to there.

fyshstykr
02-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Tell her I am sorry that I can not help her with that. He is very rarely ever here as of last few years. There is some great fishing on the Snake where he lives though, from what I have been told. I know someone that sneaks into his portion of the Snake and fishes. He doesn't have a boat to float down to there.
Well that's too bad, I was gonna drop her off that way I could fish from the boat for a while! :laugh: :laugh:
fysh.

grassmanak
02-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Im 19 with 18 years of fishing experience, Born and raised on a lake, Moved to alaska at 14 for a few years, Won several pro-level walleye tournaments, Met and fished with lots of pro anglers. Fly fish as well.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b88/lodogg89/trout1.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b88/lodogg89/silvers.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b88/lodogg89/king2.jpg

GreginAlaska
02-27-2006, 07:53 PM
grassman, is that a really nice Silver in your last pic?

grassmanak
02-27-2006, 10:03 PM
no, small king on the kasilof

GreginAlaska
02-27-2006, 10:22 PM
no, small king on the kasilof

Ok, I see the spots along the top now if I squint hard enough. ;)

I was born and raised in Soldotna, I usually fished the Kenai but I've spent some time on the Kasiloff.

fyshstykr
02-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Ok, I see the spots along the top now if I squint hard enough. ;)

I was born and raised in Soldotna, I usually fished the Kenai but I've spent some time on the Kasiloff.
I have heard a lot of people in my area talk about the soldotna area and the incredible fishing, how far out of Anchorage is it?
fysh.

sheshovel
02-28-2006, 07:17 PM
I thought Montana was THEE paradise for Fly Fishin.

fyshstykr
03-03-2006, 01:50 AM
I thought Montana was THEE paradise for Fly Fishin.
I think that is a common perception as that is all I used to hear and read about when I was young, there is a lot of water in Montana and I do love to fish The Madison, the spring creeks of the "Paradise Valley", Missouri, Bighorn, the Yellowstone and a few others. I think as the years have gone by Montana has gotten a lot more visitors and the population has grown, so you don't have the wide open spaces like it used to be ( "solitude
can definately be found though"). Many states have waters that can rival some of the water there but for scenery and quality of water, Montana is hard to beat.
Alaska has probably taken over as the #1 fishing destination and definately has more water, larger fish, more fish, and unrivaled scenery. But to be honest this is what i hear from others who have been to Alaska as I have not been fortunate to have made the trip yet. Greginalaska would know about this, so I hope he will give some input on this.
Ahhh, so much water and so little time to fish it all. I guess that is what keeps people fishin.......:) fysh.

GreginAlaska
03-03-2006, 03:03 AM
I have heard a lot of people in my area talk about the soldotna area and the incredible fishing, how far out of Anchorage is it?
fysh.

About 150 miles by road, 65 or so by air. ;)

Luvs2Play
03-03-2006, 03:06 AM
Trigger creep is when you can feel the trigger moving (pulling) for a bit of a distance before it finally "breaks", and the hammer falls.

GreginAlaska
03-03-2006, 03:14 AM
I think that is a common perception as that is all I used to hear and read about when I was young, there is a lot of water in Montana and I do love to fish The Madison, the spring creeks of the "Paradise Valley", Missouri, Bighorn, the Yellowstone and a few others. I think as the years have gone by Montana has gotten a lot more visitors and the population has grown, so you don't have the wide open spaces like it used to be ( "solitude
can definately be found though"). Many states have waters that can rival some of the water there but for scenery and quality of water, Montana is hard to beat.
Alaska has probably taken over as the #1 fishing destination and definately has more water, larger fish, more fish, and unrivaled scenery. But to be honest this is what i hear from others who have been to Alaska as I have not been fortunate to have made the trip yet. Greginalaska would know about this, so I hope he will give some input on this.
Ahhh, so much water and so little time to fish it all. I guess that is what keeps people fishin.......:) fysh.

That's right for the most part; it's probably right because Alaska is such a big, diverse place when you're talking about types of land, water, weather. The problem with Alaska is the lack of road system. The good places to fish, that you can reach from the road system, are over ran with tourists now days. There are TONS of good places to go off the road system but getting there can be really expensive. I would like to see a couple of new roads cut up here, one from Anchorage to Nome and another from Anchorage to the end of the Alaska Peninsula. This would open up a plethora of really good places to fish that the average guy could drive too. It would also make some new opportunity for somebody that wants to build roadside lodges, gas stations etc. The problem is that the air guides and outfitters have a lot of power in the Alaska state legislature and squash any idea of building new roads when they come up. Torques me off.

fyshstykr
03-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Trigger creep is when you can feel the trigger moving (pulling) for a bit of a distance before it finally "breaks", and the hammer falls.
Luvs2play your gonna have to help me here, I'm a little slow on the uptake. :confused:
fysh.

fyshstykr
03-16-2006, 01:54 AM
Anybody getting out lately? I keep trying to but cannot seem to get on the water.:cry: fysh.