PDA

View Full Version : Any of you have a website for your business?

Jdmtnbikr
02-24-2006, 12:55 AM
How many of you have legitimate websites? By legitimate I mean something a little more than 1 page with "your name, address, and "call for estimates" ". (Not that there is anything wrong with that I guess)

Did you design them yourselves? How long did u wait to get a website up and going? When you were "small", or when you grew bigger? Do you think it attracts more business? Or is it simply to look more professional?

Curious as to the answers, and to see some websites as well. I am VERY small, doing it part time on the side(landscaping/gardening/interior plantscaping design and maintenance)...but still think it would be cool (and look professional) to get some kind of website up and going.

Thanks

beautifullawns
02-24-2006, 08:51 AM
I'm a smaller comapny but have a website. I think it adds a little professialism and helps give people more info about your company. My site was up in a few days, I had a friend do it.

www.apexproperty.net

CutInEdge Lawn Care
02-24-2006, 09:09 AM
We created and coded website ourselves. Website was up and running in a few hrs. www.cutinedge.com Good Luck!!

CutInEdge Lawn Care
02-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Apex
You are using a template, correct? That is like the 4th or 5th website I have seen with that exact house on it. I prefer putting my own pics on that I have serviced. Just my .02

29 Palms Property Management
02-24-2006, 09:17 AM
We created and coded website ourselves. Website was up and running in a few hrs. www.cutinedge.com Good Luck!!

CutInEdge,
Your site came out great. Simple, easy to use and get info, to the point. I like it alot. I'm thinking about putting one up, but don't know much at all about building a site. We'll see. Good job!

Joey bag a' donuts
02-24-2006, 09:20 AM
I built this site, we'll see how it works out this year and if it helps to drum up a little more business. Took a couple weeks to put together while i was just working on it here and there in my free time. www.morningtidelawn.com

alwaysgreener
02-24-2006, 09:21 AM
yes we have a web site.

beautifullawns
02-24-2006, 10:05 AM
Apex
You are using a template, correct? That is like the 4th or 5th website I have seen with that exact house on it. I prefer putting my own pics on that I have serviced. Just my .02
That is temporary. I bought the kit from lawn care directory and it came with website templates. I have a ton of pics of stuff we have done and have to finish working on the site. This was temporary so people could look at a professional looking site.

02-24-2006, 10:10 AM
They are all good looking sites! Joey, the first thing that jumped out at me was the spring training logo you have there, the guy w/ the mower, top right corner. Obviously after the MLB logo. I'm a huge MLB fan (RedSox) and that is something that interested me right off the bat. Nice job with that. Good touch.

Az Gardener
02-24-2006, 10:27 AM
To expand on the web site question. How much does it cost to maintain both in time and $$$. I have never done one because I have no idea how much time it would take to maintain, update etc. I really get upset when I respond to a company through the web and get no response I don't know if they are too busy to get back to me or if no one is checking the site, and pages that you can't access, or under construction sites, or like someone said sites with no value, boilerplate picture and company name etc. If I did one it would have to be ultra professional and have real value to those visiting. I would like to have pictures of my homes, a FAQ section, my company story, my introduction letter, and possibly a section on plant pests and diseases things like that. I have found the more you give the more you get so when I do something I really need to be committed. Don't know if I'm ready for that commitment. Although if I spent the time with my own website that I do on lawnsite I could probably manage it.

Precision Lawns
02-24-2006, 12:08 PM
We have a website. www.precision-lawns.com. It's not huge and impressive, but it gets the job done. One day, we have much bigger hopes for it - customers will be able to pay their bills, check their invoices, see their scheduled mow days, etc. But as this is only our 2nd season, we're starting small. We had a family member design it for free, he updates it when we ask and we use another family member's server. It costs us $9.95/year for our domain name. I don't think that he spends much time updating the site, the main thing was building it (but I don't think that took him that long either).

And for some reason, our website isn't working right now. Server must be having issues - it was up this morning.

alwaysgreener
02-24-2006, 12:18 PM
We have a website. www.precision-lawns.com. It's not huge and impressive, but it gets the job done. One day, we have much bigger hopes for it - customers will be able to pay their bills, check their invoices, see their scheduled mow days, etc. But as this is only our 2nd season, we're starting small. We had a family member design it for free, he updates it when we ask and we use another family member's server. It costs us $9.95/year for our domain name. I don't think that he spends much time updating the site, the main thing was building it (but I don't think that took him that long either).

And for some reason, our website isn't working right now. Server must be having issues - it was up this morning.

Very nice site.. Very easy to read and to navigate.. Good job..

Wells
02-24-2006, 12:56 PM
I waited several years before getting a website up and running and then decided that it was a great form of advertising since so many people now conduct business over the net.

I designed my own site using Microsoft Frontpage and some Macromedia Flash.
The site can be viewed at: www.wellslawncare.com

The site has been up for several years now and I'm thinking about changing it up this summer. IMO the site make us look more professional and shows a deeper dedication to the business rather then the guy just looking for a few bucks on the side.

Joey bag a' donuts
02-24-2006, 01:12 PM
The site has been up for several years now and I'm thinking about changing it up this summer. IMO the site make us look more professional and shows a deeper dedication to the business rather then the guy just looking for a few bucks on the side.

I agree 100% with a web site showing a deeper dedication to the business and it also offers another form of communication between the company and the customer...great site by the way wells.

Joey bag a' donuts
02-24-2006, 01:15 PM
They are all good looking sites! Joey, the first thing that jumped out at me was the spring training logo you have there, the guy w/ the mower, top right corner. Obviously after the MLB logo. I'm a huge MLB fan (RedSox) and that is something that interested me right off the bat. Nice job with that. Good touch.

Cool man, Im a HUGE baseball fan so I had to throw that in there. GO DETROIT TIGERS!!!:cry: :laugh:

topsites
02-24-2006, 02:59 PM
> How many of you have legitimate websites?
All depends what you mean by that...
It's a registered domain, the code is validated Xhtml 1.0 transitional and I lease a *nix box for a server so hosting and administration is not an issue, but for this type of site I believe in simplicity so it's just 5 pages with some bs.

> Did you design them yourselves?
Yes.

> How long did u wait to get a website up and going?
I didn't build it until after my 4th year.

> When you were "small", or when you grew bigger?
I just didn't have time in my first 2 years for this, it was not that important.
In my 3rd year, I also had other problems needed worrying about.
Then, it took all of my 4th year to 'talk' myself into doing it... This is my
2nd one, the other site is a hobby thing but I just couldn't get in the mood
for a long time... It is a lot of work...

> Do you think it attracts more business?
I just got it online 2-4 weeks ago, so no. And the answer will continue to be no until I get her listed some places (like Yahoo, for example).
Even then, I don't expect miracles.

> Or is it simply to look more professional?
Yes. It's a lot of work, and you have to know your stuff, not everybody has a domain.

> Curious as to the answers, and to see some websites as well. I am VERY small, doing it
> part time on the side(landscaping/gardening/interior plantscaping design and maintenance)...
> but still think it would be cool (and look professional) to get some kind of website up and going.

The link is in my profile (and other people have theirs there, too).
I think it's cool, too.
Does it make me a pro...? I still don't know for sure, thou some will think it does :D

T. Matthews
02-24-2006, 03:04 PM
I have one www.tmatthews.net. A friend of mine set it up and I maintain it. I like it.

Grn Mtn
02-24-2006, 03:31 PM
...Did you design them yourselves? How long did u wait to get a website up and going? When you were "small", or when you grew bigger? Do you think it attracts more business? Or is it simply to look more professional?... I am VERY small, doing it part time on the side....

I'm a solo operation, full-time dad. I built my website using my hosting companies software. I do it at night or while the kids are playing-keeps me sane:laugh:

I do believe its important to have one, I also believe its important to have it match your personality and be a straight shooter. Use it as a tool to weed out those that you might not get along with. What I mean by that is put your base price in it, I too like information and price is VERY important to people. If someone looks at your site and see's your charging more than they want to pay you just saved yourself some "free-estimate" time.:drinkup:

Depending on the time of year and how you choose to use your website, plan on spending a few minutes every morning and evening checking your email, and a few hours a month updating new photo's, adding pages, etc.

I use www.bizland.com -value membership/annual pay
My link is in my signature, oh as far as email, I expect a reply in 24hrs, (except holidays/weekends) not sooner not later.

Carolina Cutter
02-24-2006, 04:50 PM
To expand on the web site question. How much does it cost to maintain both in time and $$$. I have never done one because I have no idea how much time it would take to maintain, update etc. I really get upset when I respond to a company through the web and get no response I don't know if they are too busy to get back to me or if no one is checking the site, and pages that you can't access, or under construction sites, or like someone said sites with no value, boilerplate picture and company name etc. If I did one it would have to be ultra professional and have real value to those visiting. I would like to have pictures of my homes, a FAQ section, my company story, my introduction letter, and possibly a section on plant pests and diseases things like that. I have found the more you give the more you get so when I do something I really need to be committed. Don't know if I'm ready for that commitment. Although if I spent the time with my own website that I do on lawnsite I could probably manage it.

I used to have one of the free ones for my buisness. Not the greatest but it was free.

I have since begun a career in real estate and have built my new site all by myself. It is not that hard. I use Yahoo and they have a builder called Sitebuilder...it is free and you really can pick it up quickly. I pay about $12 a month for my site and it generates A LOT of business for me. They also have web stats to help you track your page views and I can add a new page in minutes.

Give that a look....the link to my site is part of my signature.

ICE
02-24-2006, 05:07 PM
My wife and I were working on a website, but it just never materialized. I was thinking about taking credit card payments too and just billing them and deducting it from their cards. I think that it probably would have worked if I had been in a larger town.

Tim:cool2:

drsogr
02-24-2006, 06:11 PM
There are a lot of good websites out there. I would suggest building one if you can do it yourself..and maintain it yourself. Otherwise the expense would be overwhelming. My website is just another part of the package. Its on my business card...I tell my customers about it when I sell them something...its on my truck. Its only as good as you make it. I think it can help you, but I think it could also harm you if you put up a really bad one!

www.sodmyyard.com

OutdoorExtras
02-24-2006, 07:46 PM
Drsogr,

I really like the lay out and color choices. I have seen one other that was very similar. Did you use a template? If so do you sharing where it was purchased from?

befnme
02-25-2006, 02:09 AM
mine is in my signature line .it aint great but it gets the word out. and no i dont pay to have it hosted .so that saves a little in the pocket every year.

Landscape25
02-25-2006, 03:12 AM
I used Yahoo Sitebuilder too. Mine is also fairly new, so no business yet. It's in my profile. Take a couple hundred looks, I need the traffic for ranking :), as we all do.

Carolina Cutter
02-25-2006, 09:47 AM
mine is in my signature line .it aint great but it gets the word out. and no i dont pay to have it hosted .so that saves a little in the pocket every year.

Just a suggestion....you might want to list where you are located. I was lost trying to figure that out.

Zoomshare is the first one I had too....it's not bad for free. There is a lot you can do with the zoomshare sites.

To give you an idea of the dofferrent things you can do....hey, would ya look at that...mine is still up and running...LOL.....

http://www.prevatteslawnservice.zoomshare.com/

lawnsbyrj
02-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Mine is through Yahoo small buisness I took it because it was a professional name and would add a little something for new coustomers to contact with.
www.nclawncare.com

drsogr
02-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Drsogr,

I really like the lay out and color choices. I have seen one other that was very similar. Did you use a template? If so do you sharing where it was purchased from?

No mine is not a template. I designed it myself. If you have seen one that is very similiar please let me know what the website is, so that I can take the appropriate action.

drsogr
02-25-2006, 11:23 AM
I had some idiot the other day email me wanting me to send the template to him. What is the deal with this. I spent 16 man hours putting my website together...like I am going to give you the html to do it?! Stuff like this makes me wonder why I spend time on this website. I have no problem helping someone out, but I don't give away 16 hours worth of work! I am sure you would not give away 16 hours worth of your lawn care or landscaping?!

Visit websites...find what you like..what you don't like and then take those elements and build your own unique website. That is what I did.

Jdmtnbikr
02-25-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm a solo operation, full-time dad. I built my website using my hosting companies software. I do it at night or while the kids are playing-keeps me sane:laugh:

I do believe its important to have one, I also believe its important to have it match your personality and be a straight shooter. Use it as a tool to weed out those that you might not get along with. What I mean by that is put your base price in it, I too like information and price is VERY important to people. If someone looks at your site and see's your charging more than they want to pay you just saved yourself some "free-estimate" time.:drinkup:

Depending on the time of year and how you choose to use your website, plan on spending a few minutes every morning and evening checking your email, and a few hours a month updating new photo's, adding pages, etc.

I use www.bizland.com -value membership/annual pay
My link is in my signature, oh as far as email, I expect a reply in 24hrs, (except holidays/weekends) not sooner not later.

Be honest, do you ever sell any of those pictures you have for sell on your site? I never thought of that. I am a photographer as well (beaches, mountains, anything outdoors). I guess there would be no harm in adding a page like you have whenever I get around to actually making a site :) Cool idea.

OutdoorExtras
02-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Drsogr,
The "Idiot" remark is kind of uncalled for;) . The reason I asked, and probably why the other person asked is that there is another site almost identical to yours (color choice, layout, everything). I assumed it was a template (which makes sense since I saw 2 identical sites don't you think?). If it is not a template then someone has copied your site, If you would like I can IM you the other site name (once I have IM privledges that is.)

Also is the landscape picture at the top left of your page original? I have seen it used as well on another site.:confused:

Cutters Lawn Care
02-25-2006, 01:32 PM
This is the best landscaping website i've seen.
www.gibbslandscape.com

befnme
02-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Just a suggestion....you might want to list where you are located. I was lost trying to figure that out.

Zoomshare is the first one I had too....it's not bad for free. There is a lot you can do with the zoomshare sites.

To give you an idea of the dofferrent things you can do....hey, would ya look at that...mine is still up and running...LOL.....

http://www.prevatteslawnservice.zoomshare.com/

thanks for the advise merlin check it out now.....

drsogr
02-25-2006, 02:57 PM
I am not specifically calling you an idiot. But this guy after I told him that I built the website he asked for me to send him the files. My website was not built off of a template. If it was a template I would have been happy to pass on the info. I contemplated using one for a while, but after deciding that I couldn't find one that I liked I build one myself. I would much appreciate you sending me that address. You can pm it to me...or email me at derekringer@sbcglobal.net.

drsogr
02-25-2006, 03:00 PM
None of the pictures on my site are original except for my logo. I did however buy the rights to the pictures, I did not take them off of anyother site. Last year I would always remember to take the before pictures, but forget to take the after. I had a few after pictures...but nothing of website quality. I plan on keeping track of my pictures this year so that I can add some pictures of my own work.

OutdoorExtras
02-25-2006, 03:13 PM
No problem drsogr. I'll email the site name to you as soon as I find it again (I think I bookmarked it somewhere:) ). Still the site is fantastic! It's professional looking, uncluttered and easy to navigate. Nice work.

TPnTX
02-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Mine cost $3.00 to build and took about 30 mins. I'll build a real one later but at least I have a place to point my URL to.

www.DetailLandscapeService.com

Grn Mtn
02-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Be honest, do you ever sell any of those pictures you have for sell on your site?....

I PM'd you

drsogr
02-25-2006, 03:33 PM
No problem drsogr. I'll email the site name to you as soon as I find it again (I think I bookmarked it somewhere:) ). Still the site is fantastic! It's professional looking, uncluttered and easy to navigate. Nice work.

I do appreciate the comments...I worked hard on it. And I still think it could be better. I plan on putting in a flash page to start it, once I get more pictures. Being professional looking, uncluttered, and easy to navigate is what I was looking for. That is what I look for in any form of advertising. Too many people add things, just to add things.

I wish you the best of luck when making your website. If you are just starting I might suggest waiting until next winter to build a website, when you might have more time to do it. Its really not difficult to do, once you learn how to do it. Most of the time I spent, was spent on figuring out which elements I liked, what went together, and the colors for the page. I think I spent 2 hours playing different colors as silly as that sounds.

I wanted a website right when I started my business, but ended up waiting until I had a year under my belt. By then I knew exactly what I wanted to say, and how I wanted to put it.

Grn Mtn
02-26-2006, 12:25 PM
... I plan on putting in a flash page to start it....

Arrrrrg! not the dreaded flash-intro page:hammerhead:

Just make sure you put a skip roll-over button on it:)

CBrosLawn
02-26-2006, 02:35 PM
made mine a few weeks ago

www.cbroslawncare.com

nothing fancy, simple and to the point...just waiting to get some pics up

eruuska
02-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Mine's at www.MidasTouchOutdoor.com. I used a Gopher template with their photos, but I added a lot of content and plan to substitute photos of my own customers after they start looking nice this spring. I use my local ISP to host it, only costs $10/month, the domain costs me $15/year. It's only been up a couple weeks and I haven't had a chance to let people know about it yet, but all promotional material from here forward will reference the site.

n2h20
02-26-2006, 08:03 PM
ive got a website or two.. doesnt cost alot to maintain.. 9 bucks a month for the hosting and 10 a year or so for the domain name.
I can change whatever i want whenever i want. This is nice, i dont have to worry about getting a hold of "my guy who built my site" to have him make changes.

I dont know if it means anything but i always look at peoples email address, and when its joeblowslansdcape@some name.com it doesnt look that good. but if its joeblow@joeblowslandscape.com i think it looks like they went the extra little bit.

drsogr
02-26-2006, 11:05 PM
Arrrrrg! not the dreaded flash-intro page:hammerhead:

Just make sure you put a skip roll-over button on it:)

Oh I definitely will do that! I hate seeing a flash page on websites...but for something like landscaping a flash that has a picture show would catch some peoples eyes.

mikefromny
02-27-2006, 09:44 AM
i got websites and make / build website for several LCO
, pm me if you want to do biz!

drsogr
02-27-2006, 02:48 PM

You don't even have a website listed on your profile?

02-27-2006, 02:53 PM

How about posting your site? Maybe some sites that you have built? Anything? Show us the 'biz'.