PDA

View Full Version : shrubs for landscape on ocean

JML
04-19-2001, 07:30 AM
Hello, one of my customers wants to replace some shrubs in her landscape. She wants some about 4 to 5 feet tall as a max. height but not very wide. Then she wants to fill another space and wants something around 2 to 3 feet tall. She does have an irrigation system. She is right on the beach in NJ. What would work the best? thanks

joe

JML
04-20-2001, 02:24 PM
no one can help me?

Stonehenge
04-20-2001, 03:55 PM
Sorry.

Don't have sufficient knowledge of plant material in your zone, and even if I did, I'm sure beachfront plantings have their own special challenges, to which I'm not accustomed.

FIREMAN
04-20-2001, 07:57 PM
All I can suggest is look for plants with a wind tolerance, even if there is a dune there will still be lots of wind from any nor'easters that blow through...also obviously anything you use must have a salt tolerance, best bet is go to a local nursery and ask to speak to someone there, I did a small planting for my inlaws in Sea Side Park a few years back and thats what I did. On a funny note.my mother in law thought she was doing me a favor when she had some arborvitae installed around thier pool and called a local contractor instead of asking me to drive down and do the install...she paid 7,000..yes that's right 7,000 for 28 emerald green arborvitae ..I told her anytime she wanted any planting done she should call me if she was willing to pay those prices...lol.any way the real kicker is 6 of them died and her contractor is nowhere to be found...Silly people..OH YEAH ..trees were only 6-7 footers going in..makes me laugh everytime I think of it

Lanelle
04-20-2001, 08:03 PM
Tolerance for salt spray is necessary. As I recall, Rugosa roses are tough enough to thrive at the beach. I know I have a list somewhere that lists more plants for the beach. If I come across it, I'll post it.

Avery
04-20-2001, 08:16 PM
Here are several salt tolerant species:

Tamrix
Eleagnus
Hawthorne
Pampas grass
Miscanthus
Hollywood Juniper
Japanese Black Pine

There are many more but any of these should work for your specs.

Hope this helps.

lbmd1
04-20-2001, 09:44 PM
I would go with ornamental grasses(many varieties and heights), mugo pines, Sand cherry trees. Also chokeberry, barberry, burning bushes, rose of sharon, broom,and inkberry. Rugosa is a good idea as stated above, but sometimes looks messy and unkept. Most junipers will work as well.

Mike
Seacoast NH

JML
04-24-2001, 07:52 AM
Thank you for all your help..

Joe