PDA

View Full Version : help!! newbie here

ibuildcars4u
02-24-2006, 08:25 AM
i have a 1973 ford Ln600 dump truck with [what i believe is] a 330 or 340 small block original hd truck motor. [ i will edit the post when i look at the truck for the correct size motor] it has the 5 speed with 1st being the granny gear, and a 2 speed rear end. what motors are interchangeable with this truck and trans, the motor is blown, someone told me that you HAVE to replace it with a hd truck motor, the original size if possible. my question is why [as long as the trans bolts up to it] couldn't i put a 360 or 390 big block light truck motor in it, or if a big block will not bolt up, then a 351 ford? i found a used [ millage unknown] original replacement motor for it for $1200. now i know i can get a 351, 360, 390 for at or under $500, but i was told you cant put a car/ light truck motor in it, any advice would be greatly appreciated, any suggestions? thank you for your time, i will post the correct motor later on today, thanks

UNISCAPER
02-24-2006, 10:02 AM
If you don't have a 330, you most likely have a 360 Hi Deck truck engine in your truck. You could put any Ford engine in the truck that will interchange with that bolt pattern, however, if it does not have a High deck block you risk considerable power and torque losses over what is in it.

The 330-360-390 series Ford blocks should never have been dropped, because in late '76, thney went to a 370-429 engine that have now been morphed into liter measurments.

Those two engines were beyond garbage and never should have been used. Weak crankshafts, failing oil pumps, valve train clatter, governors that had to be constently adjusted, they were just aweful. Then you get one from a municipality thinking it has little time on it because of low miles, and what you get is a unit that idled all day long so the workers could heat their food on the engine.

So, the challenge is to find a 360-390 truck engine in a bone yard somewhere. You will be able to tell it is a truck engine by looking at the front timing cover. If it is a heavy piece of cast iron and has a large rubber flat motor mount underneath, you have a truck engine. Car engines or light duty truck engines mounted on the sides traditionally.

Another option you might want to excercise is to rebuild what you have, or get a reman engine through Snow Brothers, who are authorized by Ford to do rebuilds. It might be cheaper and alot less headache.

Gravel Rat
02-24-2006, 02:06 PM
No offence but JUNK the truck its not even worth dealing with there is so many used dumps on the market you will be far better buying a newer truck.

The old Ford industrials are junk they guzzle gas back and good luck in finding one.

If you think you are going to save money fixing that old truck up forget it you are still going to have a old truck that will need other repairs.

If you want a single axle dump try find a L-8000 with 7.8 or ISC Cummins.

UNISCAPER
02-24-2006, 08:06 PM
For the most part, I'm with Gravel Rat in considering a different truck. Having lived in the snow belt myself, changing that engine is not juast going to be as easy as the Chiltons Manual will make it seem. You will have lots of rusted or tight bolts to loosen, there will be pleanty of caked grease and road dirt, the exhaust will probably be trashed by the time you get it off, and, you are only able to assume the cooling system is operational.

Say you get an engine for $1,000.00, which, is going to be what anyone would charge you for something decent. You have no real idea iof how the engine is, and if you have to remove it and get your money back, you don't get any money for your time, you might get your money back. A simple 4 hour engine removal can easily become a 2 day adventure. After the grand for the engine, add all the fasteners you will need to buy that have been trashed. An exhaust for around $400.00 or so, all the fluids, (the F-700 takes 6 gallons of coolant) and 12 quarts of engine oil. If it is out, you may as well tune it up, and for plugs, cap rotor, filters, points if it has them the cost is going to be near $160.00, and that was from 9 years ago's prices.

At very best, if that truck was perfect with good rubber, you might see $4,000.00 for it to the right person on a good day. You will have close to that in just engine work and time and when it is all said and done, you still have a 33 year old truck that is subject to the same inspections and permits as a brand new one. Safety inspections on an old dog like that could be the straw that breaks the camels back.
Consider your options before you take on the project.