PDA

View Full Version : Baggin'

jhoneycutt
02-24-2006, 09:34 AM
I have a Bobcat 52" ZTR, & need a bagger. Which is an all around better ($ not included) Peco or Accelotrator?

FrankenScagMachines
02-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Exmark UltraVac :p hands down the best i've used, and i've tried several of them... it is pricey though!

Since you have a BobCat though... ummm does Bobcat offer a bagger for that unit? The OEM baggers are generally a better fit and finish and have less bugs to work out... good luck.

Eric

CC Lawncare
02-24-2006, 10:41 AM
I run all Bobcat machines and for the bagging, we have Bluebirds. I have had them for several years with virtually no maintenance besides replacing the 6" & 7" hoses. I am going to give the Cyclonerake a try this year on a unit though.

FrankenScagMachines
02-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Oh here's another few things to consider with aftermarket bagger systems:

How big is the engine on that mower?
What type of properties will you be using it on, is the landscaping tight? Are there alot of hills or ditches, berms, steep spots, etc.?

There's two types of baggers:
Those with blower units (driven by a belt usually off of the deck)
Those with an auxillary engine to drive the blower.

Some things to consider:
If you're using it on hills, a small auxillary engine almost never has pressure lubrication, and if it doesn't have pressure lube you will burn it up using it on steep hills.
At the same time, if your mower doesn't have a big enough engine (at least 23hp for steep hills) then using a mower driven bagger (without an engine) will make it pull really hard on hills and you will run out of power...

I really prefer the OEM manufacturer style baggers that are driven off of the deck. I've had several of both styles and from various manufacturers... I had a 23hp 52" Ferris with the Ferris 3 bag collection system (driven by the deck) it worked great but needed a little more power especially on hills it ran short on power. My Lazer is a 27hp 60" and it has enough power to do fine even on hills... I think it just has more torque. Also the Ferris with suspension is a rather heavy unit for its deck and engine size (the suspension components add alot of weight, and the frame design is different being braced more, plus they're built fairly solid)

But I've had several baggers with the auxillary engines for the blower and I really don't like those much at all. If you have an underpowered mower, these might be a better choice, but overall these kinda suck ESPECIALLY if you have bags instead of a dump from seat hopper.. they'd be Ok with a seat dump hopper bagger, but with a bag style you have to shut it off and restart it every time you dump the bags. Also its another engine to maintain, another machine to keep filled with gas, more to repair, and more noise, etc... And its bulkier and usually more weight (harder on lawn, bagging systems are heavy no matter how you look at it) plus can be harder to take on and off....

Ok there's the lowdown on collection systems.....
Any questions?

FrankenScagMachines
02-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Oh, and will you be mostly using this bagger for leaves only, or for grass and leaves all season?

greengiant9963
02-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Oh here's another few things to consider with aftermarket bagger systems:

How big is the engine on that mower?
What type of properties will you be using it on, is the landscaping tight? Are there alot of hills or ditches, berms, steep spots, etc.?

There's two types of baggers:
Those with blower units (driven by a belt usually off of the deck)
Those with an auxillary engine to drive the blower.

Some things to consider:
If you're using it on hills, a small auxillary engine almost never has pressure lubrication, and if it doesn't have pressure lube you will burn it up using it on steep hills.
At the same time, if your mower doesn't have a big enough engine (at least 23hp for steep hills) then using a mower driven bagger (without an engine) will make it pull really hard on hills and you will run out of power...

I really prefer the OEM manufacturer style baggers that are driven off of the deck. I've had several of both styles and from various manufacturers... I had a 23hp 52" Ferris with the Ferris 3 bag collection system (driven by the deck) it worked great but needed a little more power especially on hills it ran short on power. My Lazer is a 27hp 60" and it has enough power to do fine even on hills... I think it just has more torque. Also the Ferris with suspension is a rather heavy unit for its deck and engine size (the suspension components add alot of weight, and the frame design is different being braced more, plus they're built fairly solid)

But I've had several baggers with the auxillary engines for the blower and I really don't like those much at all. If you have an underpowered mower, these might be a better choice, but overall these kinda suck ESPECIALLY if you have bags instead of a dump from seat hopper.. they'd be Ok with a seat dump hopper bagger, but with a bag style you have to shut it off and restart it every time you dump the bags. Also its another engine to maintain, another machine to keep filled with gas, more to repair, and more noise, etc... And its bulkier and usually more weight (harder on lawn, bagging systems are heavy no matter how you look at it) plus can be harder to take on and off....

Ok there's the lowdown on collection systems.....
Any questions?

I agree. If you have the power go with the OEM sytle that attaches right to the deck spindle. I have the 2 bag and 3 bag ultra vac systems. The thing that I like is when you shut the blades down the vac stops as well. I have demo'd a unit with a peco bagging system. The ultra vac bagged better and is very fast to take on and off.

jhoneycutt
02-24-2006, 01:28 PM
hey cc., are the bluebirds mounted on it or pull type. Yeah
F.Scag, if its is as hard to install like the Peco I'll us it all year. Oh yeah CC, is Peco not an option? It's a 22hp briggs
Thanks a bunch

FrankenScagMachines
02-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Why would you bag every day when it only takes 5-15 minutes to remove or put on? The initial installation takes a couple hours or so, but after you have the brackets mounted and everything assembled you can take a bagger off and on in just a few minutes, usually with no tools required. With 22hp, if your yards are mostly pretty flat or just small hills, you'd be fine with a deck driven bagger just get a tachometer ($40 TinyTach from J-Thomas) and keep an eye on the engine RPM's, if they get below 3000 RPM you need to slow down or stop for a second and let it catch up.. if it gets plugged and backs up into the blower, it will slow it down alot and if it does that, shut off the blades/blower so that it doesn't slip the drive belt for the blower fan, that will wear a belt out kinda fast... The Ferris unit I had was pretty decent but would plug with heavy leaves. The Exmark UltraVac is just awesome, it is impossible to clog unless you overfill the unit (don't dump when it should be), its just awesome.... Would never use another add-on bagger system I don't think... if you are talking about bagging grass alll season long, check into a Walker (Toro, Scag and Bobcat, and now Exmark all make similar style machines) these are dedicated bagging units that are specifically designed for the ultimate in bagging performance and productivity.

Eric

jhoneycutt
02-24-2006, 05:26 PM
thks F.Scag, & Greengiant oh I always thought (like Peco) was very diff. to take on/off. Well Monday I'll go and check out a OEM Bobcat bagger. Thks again