PDA

View Full Version : edger attachments. any good?

lawnwizards
02-24-2006, 08:44 AM
i have an old ryobi (sp) trimmer thats just sitting around. it accepts the attachments. i was wondering if i buy the edger attachment if it will be acceptable in place of a real edger. don't have any requests for edging, just thought i'd do it just in case. opinions? thanks.

randy.

daveintoledo
02-24-2006, 09:08 AM
yes , for a while, but those things are 60 bucks, put the money toward a good commmercial stick edger, it wont break, the ryobi will.....

i already had one so i used it till it died, lasted about half a season, which is what i expected....:)

lawnwizards
02-24-2006, 09:17 AM
yes , for a while, but those things are 60 bucks, put the money toward a good commmercial stick edger, it wont break, the ryobi will.....

i already had one so i used it till it died, lasted about half a season, which is what i expected....:)
who makes a good stick edger and what should i expect to pay? thanks.

daveintoledo
02-24-2006, 09:32 AM
stihl, echo redmax, there all good, but which ones does your local dealer carry...

cost, 300 to 350

grass_cuttin_fool
02-24-2006, 09:42 AM
I started off with a Ryobi and it lasted about 18 months before I broke the drive cable. I abused it too, I was surprised it lasted as long as it did. Like stated above, Stihl Echo Redmax Shindiawa, any of those should be good units and 300 plus would be the going rate for a commercial edger

wayne

lawnwizards
02-24-2006, 10:42 AM
my dealer carries echo, stihl, and shindaiwa. which would you consider to be the best buy?

The mayor
02-24-2006, 10:49 AM
ryobi or any other cheap trimmer is great for a emergency back up. I still have a 1999 weed eater that still chugs along when something else breaks down.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-24-2006, 11:03 AM
my dealer carries echo, stihl, and shindaiwa. which would you consider to be the best buy?
I own a stihl. Stihl is my personal favorite because the 110 has a solid driveshaft and not a cable. I cant comment on the others because I have never tried them, just after having a cable drive Ryobi I wanted something stronger. Im not implying that Shindy or Echo's cable drive is as weak as a Ryobi but I thought the Stihl was stronger. Another reason I prefer the Shihl is I can change the head and go from an Edger to a trimmer or brush cutter in just a few minutes.

wayne

Lazer_Z
02-24-2006, 11:23 AM
I own a stihl. Stihl is my personal favorite because the 110 has a solid drive shaft and not a cable. I cant comment on the others because I have never tried them, just after having a cable drive Ryobi I wanted something stronger. I'm not implying that Shindy or Echo's cable drive is as weak as a Ryobi but I thought the Stihl was stronger. Another reason I prefer the Shihl is I can change the head and go from an Edger to a trimmer or brush cutter in just a few minutes.

wayne
Very well put Wayne. And what I highlighted is why I like my 110 as well.

Rob

southernlandscapespecial
02-25-2006, 06:30 PM
I use only Shindaiwa equipment and they really take alot of abuse. I have one that can be changed out with attachments and I would highly recommend having atleast one for any mowing contractors

LLandscaping
02-25-2006, 06:40 PM
We have a Stihl FC 75 Stick edger, it works well. We also have a FS110 trimmer (same engine as edger) and it work get also. I have had great luck with Stihl products and would highly recommend them.