PDA

View Full Version : Getting paid during times of drought

MNBOY
02-24-2006, 11:03 AM
What is the strategy for getting paid during times of drought. Are you to include it in your agreement/contract that you are to get paid X amount of money for X amount of mowings whether you service an account or not? Or do you just not get paid at all when it is too hot and the grass isn't growing. I am trying to finalize my agreement letters and did not know how to handle this. Thanks..

tjsquickcuts
02-24-2006, 11:10 AM
What is the strategy for getting paid during times of drought. Are you to include it in your agreement/contract that you are to get paid X amount of money for X amount of mowings whether you service an account or not? Or do you just not get paid at all when it is too hot and the grass isn't growing. I am trying to finalize my agreement letters and did not know how to handle this. Thanks..

I am not sure, but I think as long as you have them in a agreement, you should keep cutting, and keep collecting. Also, gives you a chance to upsell on sprinklers if there is no water ban. I knew of a guy that used to have a water truck go out to each of his accounts, and water their lawns for what he was charging for service, plus a little extra. Just things to keep in mind

rodneyskip
02-24-2006, 02:50 PM
MNBOY- Did you purchase the 657 last year? How do you like it? do you wish you had bought a WB instead. I am torn between the 7H17 and the 657A.

Sorry for OFF TOPIC!

PMLAWN
02-24-2006, 07:37 PM
We still run the route. Stop and tidy up the place. Yearlong contract is just that- All year long.
But most have irrigation and even the ones that do not the yard need service or tending to.

lawnspecialties
02-24-2006, 10:12 PM
We still run the route. Stop and tidy up the place. Yearlong contract is just that- All year long.
But most have irrigation and even the ones that do not the yard need service or tending to.

Exactly. If there's a foot of snow or three months without rain, I still show up and tidy up the place. Overseeding in the fall is a part of my year round contracts. If its a drought, I still have a lot of work to do come September.

If it's a "pay per cut", then I have them call me when they want me during a drought period.

ed2hess
02-24-2006, 11:09 PM
When you get a customer on a 12 month contract they stop worring about paying per cut. Most of our non irrigation customers have it cut bi-weekly and most have weeds so we keep coming in dry weather and the money keeps coming. There is always something to tidy up.

MNBOY
02-25-2006, 01:31 AM
MNBOY- Did you purchase the 657 last year? How do you like it? do you wish you had bought a WB instead. I am torn between the 7H17 and the 657A.

Sorry for OFF TOPIC!

Just purchased this machine. Heard a lot of good things about it though and looking forward to using it...

befnme
02-25-2006, 01:53 AM
thats where your contract kicks in. if it dosent rain for 6 weeks i still show up for trash and small debris removal .same goes in the winter with no mowing involved .

rodneyskip
02-27-2006, 03:00 AM
Just purchased this machine. Heard a lot of good things about it though and looking forward to using it...

What did it cost you? Did it come with the new 7 iron deck II? I am eager to hear your opinion of learning curve, ability to hold a hill, and overall effienciency of this mower.

Thanks!

MNBOY
02-27-2006, 08:17 AM
What did it cost you? Did it come with the new 7 iron deck II? I am eager to hear your opinion of learning curve, ability to hold a hill, and overall effienciency of this mower.

Thanks!

It is an 04 model with a 7 iron deck. Only 260 hours on it and still under factory warranty till Oct. Got it at a John Deere Dealership for $3700. It was a little weird to drive because the controls are more sensitive than a Z but I am thinking it will be better than a WB and a good mower to start a biz with. J/D is putting a JRCO rake on it and I ordered an Accelerator bagger for it. I am going to use this and a small walk to start. There is a lot of reviews both good and bad on this mower if you do a search.

rodneyskip
03-02-2006, 01:53 AM
It is an 04 model with a 7 iron deck. Only 260 hours on it and still under factory warranty till Oct. Got it at a John Deere Dealership for $3700. It was a little weird to drive because the controls are more sensitive than a Z but I am thinking it will be better than a WB and a good mower to start a biz with. J/D is putting a JRCO rake on it and I ordered an Accelerator bagger for it. I am going to use this and a small walk to start. There is a lot of reviews both good and bad on this mower if you do a search.

That sounds like a GREAT price.

I noticed that it was a mower that got mixed reviews- what made you choose it? I am looking at this and a 717- they are close to the same price- and I plan on using a 21" as well.

MNBOY
03-02-2006, 12:09 PM
That sounds like a GREAT price.

I noticed that it was a mower that got mixed reviews- what made you choose it? I am looking at this and a 717- they are close to the same price- and I plan on using a 21" as well.

I figured that most of my customers will be residential less than 1 acre lots so I thought that this mower would be beneficial to these circumstances. If the price wasn't right, I would not have purchased it though. If I get some larger accounts, then I will probably go out and buy a larger Z next year. The only thing that kind of scares me right now is the leaf cleanups. I am hoping that the Accelerator bagger will do for that, we'll have to wait and see. I am also curious as to how this machine will stripe. I guess blade configuration can determine this. All in all, I think that the price and low hours was just too good of a deal to pass up especially with trying to keep costs down since just starting up.