PDA

View Full Version : fire wood

jacob land and
02-24-2006, 12:47 PM
does anyone sell fire wood partime/fulltime?, i was looking at a pull behind spliter was wondering if it is a decent buisness to get into...how exactly do you go about it? do you just take out of your own woods or do you go out and drop trees and split them for someone else on their property?

BufalinoLand
02-24-2006, 01:41 PM
Going rate around Edinboro, PA is 150.00-200.00/cord

by the time I cut tops, load truck, unload truck, split, load truck, then deliver,

i have roughly 4 hours + 25 in gas

do the math, save yourself the hassle

I cut 6 cords last year, sold none

I burn em no money in it unless you are a logger

scagwildcat
02-24-2006, 01:43 PM
you buy a truck load of wood, in log length, buck it to size , then split it, the going rate around my aea this year for a truck load of logs, with about 6 to 7 cords, is between 500 to $700, by the time you cut and split and deliver your not making much !!!! i see people selling a cord for 140 to 160

Jay Ray
02-24-2006, 11:09 PM
I thought about buying a splitter after Katrina. Could have got a lot of free oak but would have really increased my time on each hurricane yard cleanup. Much easier to leave it all in front and let the FEMA contractors grab it with a grapple and haul it to a burn site. Plus it would have burned a lot of gas and time hauling it to the house and then splitting it.

FEMA has been burning fallen wood here for six months 24/7. People don't do the work to get it off the debris piles for firewood because it isn't economical.

M RASCOE&SONS
02-24-2006, 11:10 PM
i do alot of firewood in the winter and the best way i have found and which makes me the most money is to find someone in your area that is in the tree business who has a processor and buy the wood from them allready cut and split,if no one in your area sells it this way ask them about buying log truck loads and see what they wiil sell them for.its very hard work to cut and split and load your truck but i have noticed in the last 3 yrs that newengland weather is up and down and you cant depend on snow so i sell firewood to suplement my income in the winter and we sell about 120 to 150 cords a yr at $175 to $205 per cord and it beets watchin tv..when you go to buy a splitter look at timberwolf,expensive but very very awesome to use..

Willofalltrades
02-25-2006, 01:37 AM
I have an advantage over all of you, the amish (I live next to the 4th largest amish population in the US) lol, They sell me ricks of wood for $40 I deliver it for $150 a rick. Take $15 out for gas and I profit $105 a rick. This has been very good to me. You just have to have the hook-up. I wouldn't recogmend buying a splitter. Buy it already split and just do the delivery work, charge them your rate plus the wood cost. or Find a material wholesaler and see if he can get you split wood.

stroker51
02-25-2006, 09:57 AM
If you are doing it strictly to make money, then don't do it. If you just want somthing to do in the wintertime and get a little extra money on the side or to use for christmas gifts or somthing, it is ok for that. Around here we get about $150-$170 per cord, depending on the type of wood. We also burn A LOT of wood in the shop too, so whatever I don't need to keep myself warm, I sell, but I wouldn't go into it expecting to make a lot of money. Also, around here hedge posts are a big thing. If you want to make money, find a excavator clearing out a hedgerow, and see if you can cut posts from the straight trees, anywhere from $5 to $40 per post, depending on the size.