PDA

View Full Version : Irrigating With RO water?

tomcl
02-24-2006, 03:00 PM
Does anyone here know the bennies/drawbacks of irrigating with reverse osmosis water? I remember reading somewhere that ro water doesn't help or hurt growth--just sorta leaves the grass dormat--Is this true?
Is it better to use well water that is higher in sodium and fertilize for it, or use the RO water?

Thanks for any help on this.

PurpHaze
02-25-2006, 11:31 AM
I've never used it nor is it available in our area for general use. However, on the west side of the valley they're trying RO on ag drainage water to remove/lessen the salt content before sending it into the deltas further north.

I know that some type of RO or other type of filter was put on one of our systems to see what it did and the truth be known I don't see any benefits or drawbacks on the target turf.

Wet_Boots
02-25-2006, 02:37 PM
So, what do they do with the removed salt? McDonalds french fries?

PurpHaze
02-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Naw... table salt. :)

Wet_Boots
02-25-2006, 03:20 PM
So it's just sodium chloride? I recall some documentary on the pumped ag drainage water in the Central Valley doing some serious hurt to the waterfowl, to the point where they were actually chasing the birds out of the usual nesting areas, so they wouldn't have deformed babies. I think selenium was mentioned as one pollutant.

PurpHaze
02-25-2006, 08:55 PM
Selenium is the main pollutant. :clapping:

Squizzy246B
02-26-2006, 01:11 AM
RO leaves the water very clean and pure. It would be fine for a adequatley fertilised garden or lawn. If the lawn was relying on the water for any nutrients its not adequatley fertilised in the first place. We had the same questions when we started using RO for potable water.

PurpHaze
02-26-2006, 11:59 AM
I believe that I've heard stories that it penetrates the ground a lot better also. :confused:

Squizzy246B
02-27-2006, 10:19 AM
I believe that I've heard stories that it penetrates the ground a lot better also. :confused:

Yep, goes through like a skid steer bucket through PVC:) :laugh:

PurpHaze
02-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Yep, goes through like a skid steer bucket through PVC:) :laugh:

And then the water undermines your limestone walls. "All the king's horses and all the king's men, couldn't put Squizzy's walls back together again." :laugh: