PDA

View Full Version : What would your repsonse be?

PGA
02-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Today I was out giving a few estimates for mowing and apps. The first house I went to was in pretty bad shape. The back was good but the front was covered in weeds and bare spots.

I took her through my chemical program and then gave her a price. She gasped and said my yearly program was $100.00 more then who she was using. I asked her who it was and she said Chemlawn! I looked at her and I looked at the grass ( or lack there of) and said

"You get what you pay for"

She wrote me a check 5 mins later!

A couple houses later was an estimate for mowing. I pulled up and could already tell there was still damage from last year on the lawn from the previous company not slowing down when they were turning. There was bald spots at the end of each stripe and a couple places where it was scalped.

I told the guy $35.00 a week to cut it and I got the same reaction. He said that was $10.00 more a week then what he had paying. I told him again

"You get what you pay for".

He laughed and signed up with me.

I had a guy try to talk me down on another estimate for a cleanup by $15.00! I told him I know what my overhead is and I know how much I need to make. He finally agreed to the price.

What do you guys say when people respsond to your prices if they are higher?

impactlandscaping
02-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Thanks for your time............

In the words of Ty Webb.." I've got a thing"....lol:waving:

PGA
02-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks for your time............

In the words of Ty Webb.." I've got a thing"....lol:waving:

You wouldnt try to make the sale?

OnMyOwn
02-24-2006, 04:45 PM
It depends how bad I want the buisness. I like the thought of walking away if I cannot make the sale, but that may not be the best thing to do. Lately, I just "store the info" for later use. For example, should I lose $5.00 per mowing, I make it up at $5.00 x (28) cuts, or $140.00 more for mulching / shrub trimming.

I get my $$$ in the end, or I walk.

lawnmaniac883
02-24-2006, 04:52 PM
I would walk away.

ICE
02-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Sounds to me as if you have a way to really hook'em and I would just continue using that! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Tim

procut
02-24-2006, 04:58 PM
"Thats the best I can do"

PGA
02-24-2006, 05:02 PM
When I first started in business I would say

" Im sorry sir, I cant beat that" and walk off.

Now I have more confidence in myself and my work. I build my company up and give them a reason to want to hire me.

Going out and getting work is a challenge to me. Its almost like a buzz waiting for that "YES" to come out of there mouth.

PGA
02-24-2006, 05:04 PM
It depends how bad I want the buisness. I like the thought of walking away if I cannot make the sale, but that may not be the best thing to do. Lately, I just "store the info" for later use. For example, should I lose $5.00 per mowing, I make it up at $5.00 x (28) cuts, or $140.00 more for mulching / shrub trimming.

I totally agree. I dont give in on my prices. I know what I need to make.

I just love the thought of selling something for more then what they are paying currently.

Green-Pro
02-24-2006, 05:07 PM
I have also told folks you get what you pay for. There are some that you just can't get to understand the concept of keeping a business solvent and legal, and yet still make a living. To those I usually give them my card and let them know they may call me when and if they are ready to use our services. I saw one time on here another poster said " I'm sorry you can't afford our services" I would love to use that one and have been tempted to, but refrain in order to keep an open line of communication.

HOOLIE
02-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Always amazes me that customers believe they can get better service from another LCO, at equal or even lesser prices ;)

Sounds like some good salesmanship on your part :dancing:

PGA
02-24-2006, 05:10 PM
I have also told folks you get what you pay for. There are some that you just can't get to understand the concept of keeping a business solvent and legal, and yet still make a living. To those I usually give them my card and let them know they may call me when and if they are ready to use our services. I saw one time on here another poster said " I'm sorry you can't afford our services" I would love to use that one and have been tempted to, but refrain in order to keep an open line of communication.

I would like to say that to but I dont know if I would say that. It almost comes across as arrogant. You never know where one customer is going to lead.

Green-Pro
02-24-2006, 05:18 PM
I would like to say that to but I dont know if I would say that. It almost comes across as arrogant. You never know where one customer is going to lead.

Say what? What is wrong with giving them a card and letting them know if they change their minds feel free to call us?

Read the post carefully my friend I did not say I tell them I'm sorry you can't afford our services. I said I'd like to but don't as I wouldn't want to burn any potential bridges. :waving:

lawnmaniac883
02-24-2006, 05:23 PM
Hah, guess thats what I get for not reading the entire post lol. That is terrific that they actually didnt skimp on ya for once.

PGA
02-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Say what? What is wrong with giving them a card and letting them know if they change their minds feel free to call us?

Read the post carefully my friend I did not say I tell them I'm sorry you can't afford our services. I said I'd like to but don't as I wouldn't want to burn any potential bridges. :waving:

I wasnt talking about you . I was talking about what you said another poster has said to someone. I know you didnt say it.

PGA
02-24-2006, 05:33 PM
Always amazes me that customers believe they can get better service from another LCO, at equal or even lesser prices ;)

Sounds like some good salesmanship on your part :dancing:

I guess thats what my point is. I hear stories on here all the time about guys just dropping their heads and walking off.

Wether your selling your company or burgers or shoes you have to make them want to hire you. You have to convince them that they cant live without your service.

I think thats why so many of the younger guys on here get discouraged when they dont pick up 100 yards in one season. Or they blame lowballers or come up with some other reason of why they didnt the customer.

topsites
02-24-2006, 05:41 PM
What do you guys say when people respsond to your prices if they are higher?

I've used a variety (and still do), here are some:

Number one: Take it or leave it (without saying it) = Thank you for your time, and walk away.

Sometimes I act like it's not my choice, like a higher power pwns my business or something (this works).

Some other stuff (if I'm in the mood):
The price for this would range from (and name the range, say 25-40 for a 30-35 yard), I'll do it for 30 and go up to 35 next year, or take it at 35 now and leave it alone for 5 years or so.

The price I quoted gives me the incentive to show up and do a good job, too.

Taxes (shrug shoulders)

When I have my truck: I want a newer truck to go with my 4-year old trailer and my 2-year old lawn-mower (my truck is 20 years old).

If the truck is running: Hear that ticking noise? It's not a diesel... It's a bad valve lifter, it's been like that since spring 2005.

Can't remember some of the rest.

HOOLIE
02-24-2006, 06:23 PM
I guess thats what my point is. I hear stories on here all the time about guys just dropping their heads and walking off.

Wether your selling your company or burgers or shoes you have to make them want to hire you. You have to convince them that they cant live without your service.

I think thats why so many of the younger guys on here get discouraged when they dont pick up 100 yards in one season. Or they blame lowballers or come up with some other reason of why they didnt the customer.

From a lot of posts I've read in the past year, a lot of guys put a great deal of thought into the marketing and advertising part of it, and not much thought into the actual selling. Getting a potential client to call for an estimate is only the first half of the game.

PGA
02-24-2006, 06:33 PM
From a lot of posts I've read in the past year, a lot of guys put a great deal of thought into the marketing and advertising part of it, and not much thought into the actual selling. Getting a potential client to call for an estimate is only the first half of the game.

That is so true! Your marketing has to be good but its all moot if you show up in a dirty truck willing to have your prices and your company pushed around.

QualityLawnCare4u
02-24-2006, 06:37 PM
You got a good thing going there, however, when they tell me that I tell them thank you thats the best I can do and walk off. The pointing out stuff like you did does not work here. Only thing they care about is if they can walk out to the close line, be able to see their 81 Buick or be able to see the kids playing without the weeds being taller than them.

PGA
02-24-2006, 07:39 PM
You got a good thing going there, however, when they tell me that I tell them thank you thats the best I can do and walk off. The pointing out stuff like you did does not work here. Only thing they care about is if they can walk out to the close line, be able to see their 81 Buick or be able to see the kids playing without the weeds being taller than them.

That sucks. Have you ever thought about relocating?

impactlandscaping
02-25-2006, 12:07 AM
You wouldnt try to make the sale?

It's not about making the sale, it's about quantifying and qualifying the lead from the quote. If the potential client is worried about us being $ 20-30 more per month than the last company,and that's the only reason, they aren't a client I want to take on anyway.

sheshovel
02-25-2006, 12:44 AM
Gosh ya know you guys are gonna hate me.Yesterday I went out and looked at a new property for a full landscape installation..talked to the owner for about 15 min about her and her husbands likes and dislikes..ect told her that I would have a plan and estimate to her today,and give several plans to choose from depending on her budget..Today I dropped of the plans and ests and as I was leaving she said..when can you start.I said"well aren't you going to look at the stuff I gave you before you decide if you want to hire me or not?
She said no your hired we'll let you know what plan but we have seen your work and trust you completely
with our landscape..you'll have free reighn with the landscape ..we will let you know you what we can afford as far as materials go but your labor we know will be worth it.. no matter what you do.I said OK sounds good can start you week after next.
Went to one today..another Mnfctrd home scape..the guy does not want to spend much money as per usual
no plants just clean and rock..I say well I usually don't take these because I like my work to look like something and I am not just a person you hire to put rock down..I am a landscaper..but I tell ya what..I will prep it..and have the guy next door move the rock on it for ya,and spread it..Cost you about $3000.00 He says "OK not a problem I just don't want to have to deaL with it when can you start?"I said next week..Have it done by Thursday"
this is for a small front and a side of 2'x30' and a front say 25'x20' >$100 bucks for the guy to move the rock for me..say $250.00 in materials and I pocket a quick $2700.00 for a days work..No question I was hired before he even met me by word of mouth in there and he had also seen my work since he live next door and across the street and around the corner from jobs I have done in there I was in before I knocked on the door..That's a pure and unadulterated brag..but I have worked hard to build my rep to this point and it sure is worth it..by the way I do not advertize..If you have my card I gave it to you myself or a client of mine has given it to you..make them think I am spedcial cuz my # is unlisted..you catch me or know someone who knows me that's the only way you get me.
This is not normal operating proceedure but I tell ya in my small community is works great for me..the harder you are to get the more they want you and the higher quality people call you and the more $$ you can ask for your work.

sheshovel
02-25-2006, 12:55 AM
Course I am very good and that helps too.BRAGGGING B is what to call me!

1MajorTom
02-25-2006, 01:39 AM
wow.........

befnme
02-25-2006, 01:48 AM

thats a good way to think of it.....

lawnman_scott
02-25-2006, 02:41 AM
I havent found this to be effective. People like this usually turn out to be more trouble than they are worth. I would rather deal with people that actually want us without having to be sold.

hole in one lco
02-25-2006, 03:12 AM
I can give you a way to make every sale at your price

Billz
02-25-2006, 03:43 AM
I would be interested in that...

YardPro
02-25-2006, 08:56 AM
I wasnt talking about you . I was talking about what you said another poster has said to someone. I know you didnt say it.

i use that one all the time...

i deal almost exclusively with vacation homes. these are from $750K to well into the millions...
when these guys start bitching about price... i laugh and use the "if you cannot aford US, then i'll be happy to give you the names of some local discount services".....
i almost always make the sale if we have this conversation...

something else i do is associate our service with thier other high end items...
ie.
i pull up and they drive a bmw... if they metion that i am expensive, i ask them why they bought the BMW instead of a honda? they both do the same thing...
then i tell them that my service is a bmw (or mercedes, etc..)..

PGA
02-25-2006, 09:29 AM
It's not about making the sale, it's about quantifying and qualifying the lead from the quote. If the potential client is worried about us being $ 20-30 more per month than the last company,and that's the only reason, they aren't a client I want to take on anyway.

I couldnt disagree more with that! The name of the game is money and youre out there to make it.

Put it this way. If you go out shopping for a new work truck are you going to buy one that you know will out perform the other but its more expensive? The truck will last longer, give you more miles, handle a bigger load but its another $4,000? Im willing to make the sacrafice if I know its going to last longer.

But I will also ask the salesman why I should buy it. Ill ask questions on why it will it be better to buy the more expensive one.

Im also hoping the salesman has the skills to sell me that truck and he just doesnt throw his hands up and walk off.

People are ALWAYS going to be worried about spending more money and thats why a good salesman will get more money but also put their mind at ease and explain why they should spend that money to get the better product or service.

rodfather
02-25-2006, 09:37 AM
I saw one time on here another poster said " I'm sorry you can't afford our services" I would love to use that one and have been tempted to, but refrain in order to keep an open line of communication.

:waving: your's truly.

What I say is "Sir/ma'am, I sorry to hear you can't afford our services at this time. Perhaps in the future we can be of help. Thank you for your time and enjoy your day."

PGA
02-25-2006, 09:44 AM
:waving: your's truly.

What I say is "Sir/ma'am, I sorry to hear you can't afford our services at this time. Perhaps in the future we can be of help. Thank you for your time and enjoy your day."

That sounds alot more polite :clapping:

impactlandscaping
02-25-2006, 11:26 AM
I couldnt disagree more with that! The name of the game is money and youre out there to make it.

Put it this way. If you go out shopping for a new work truck are you going to buy one that you know will out perform the other but its more expensive? The truck will last longer, give you more miles, handle a bigger load but its another $4,000? Im willing to make the sacrafice if I know its going to last longer.

But I will also ask the salesman why I should buy it. Ill ask questions on why it will it be better to buy the more expensive one.

Im also hoping the salesman has the skills to sell me that truck and he just doesnt throw his hands up and walk off.

People are ALWAYS going to be worried about spending more money and thats why a good salesman will get more money but also put their mind at ease and explain why they should spend that money to get the better product or service.

I don't NEED every job we bid on. If they can't afford us, I won't cut corners or skimp on materials to land the job..period. I have told people the same thing as Rod, and walked away only to have them call a week, month, or even year later to have us do the job as they can afford it then. When we do a complete landscape plan, we do multiple phases, sometimes over 2 years or more, depending on their budget. If they can't afford us, period, I don't go out of my way to extend our service to someone who can't afford it and may become a liability.

PGA
02-25-2006, 11:44 AM
I don't NEED every job we bid on. If they can't afford us, I won't cut corners or skimp on materials to land the job..period. I have told people the same thing as Rod, and walked away only to have them call a week, month, or even year later to have us do the job as they can afford it then. When we do a complete landscape plan, we do multiple phases, sometimes over 2 years or more, depending on their budget. If they can't afford us, period, I don't go out of my way to extend our service to someone who can't afford it and may become a liability.

I think thats great. I only hope I can get to the point someday when I dont NEED the income like you guys. I take everything I can get!

kc2006
02-25-2006, 01:51 PM
"You get what you pay for"

I use the same saying. I had to use that saying many times last year. The market was so beat down with lowballers. I would come in, give my estimate and I'd always hear "wow that's more then the last guy" and I say "Well sir/ma'am, you get what you pay for, and apparently you aren't happy with what your getting now because you called me" I landed every mowing contract where I actually talked to the person, I dropped off one estimate early in the year and didn't get it, after that I always make sure I can talk face to face with the client.

I did budge on one account, I had the chance to gain 5 other clients on the same street if I got this one account, I lowered my price by $4 dollars to get the client, and she was the biggest PITA, the only PITA I had. All the other clients on that street were great customers, I was higher on all of their estimates and never had a problem with them. Really taught me to not budge, because you ruin your relationship right then and there and now your catering to them.

6'7 330
02-25-2006, 02:11 PM
When I or anybody else gives an estimate or landscape consultation for our company, and rates for the project are not agreeable, we thank the potential client for taking the time talk about their landscape needs. Finish the consultation by leaving company information and a card, and thanking them profusely.

hole in one lco
02-25-2006, 05:02 PM
I would be interested in that...
This is what you do
1. dont ever sh*t take the competition spend that time praising your company
2. You know those little notes the costumer rights about how nice the yard is and how happy they are with your service. Make copy's of those and give one to the potential client.
this should get you started i cant give all my secrets away but if you need more i will

Precision
02-25-2006, 07:51 PM
if they are obnoxious.

Thank you Mr. Jones for giving us the opportunity to bid on your property. When you decide you would like a full service company maintaining your property, give us a call.

If they just don't have the money and really only want mow and blow I switch hats and sell them on my basics company.

If they need some convincing, I start asking them leading questions.

Mr. Jones, why didn't you just continue with your last company.

they did this and that wrong.
Oh, I see. So despite the price, you weren't happy with the lack of service. NO.
I see, do you think a few extra dollars per month might be worth it if it bought you peace of mind and a nicer lawn.

get them to answer 3 questions in a row with yes, then ask if you should start service next week. Often they will just say yes and have convinced themselves.

then say. Well Mr. Jones, glad to have you as our newest client. Offer a handshake to seal the deal, then, I need a signature here on the contract and a check to get started.

When he complies, thank him and say We will be out on thursay to start work. Thanks again for chosing ABC lawncare.