PDA

View Full Version : Who is using Biosolids in their organic program?

livingsoils
02-24-2006, 05:25 PM
I just wanted to see how many people are using biosolids to fertilize lawns and why you prefer them over other organic materials. What benefits are they offering the turf and microbes over compost?

Mike :waving:

DUSTYCEDAR
02-25-2006, 12:19 PM
i have been using a bridge product with biosoilds in them and have been haveing good results to my eye
some dont like the idea of that product but i have been giveing it a try and my lawns next to the big chem companys lawns seem to stay greener longer and recover faster after dry conditions

livingsoils
02-26-2006, 07:40 PM
I have been reading :rolleyes: about some issues with using biosolids that is why i was bringing the subject up. I wanted to see if anyone had problems with Heavy metal build up in the soil? How about soil biology breaking down the biosolids. Doesn't it take microbes a long time before they can break down the biosolids (years) before the plants can use the nutrients. Has anyone had any problems with it?

Just some things I am hearing:confused:
Mike

mrkosar
02-26-2006, 07:58 PM
i've been told there are high levels of lead and cathium metals in most biosolid products that are left behind.

upidstay
03-01-2006, 03:19 PM
I had heard that the EPA was going to be taking a closer look at the use of bio solics. I don't like them. It is human excrement, and that just isn't a good idea. I know it is processed, but do they process it enough, or do they cut corners to make up production delays, or simply to make more money? The heavy metals is definitely a concern of mine too. I just think that they are a cheap product. It is an easy way for sewage processing plants to get rid of sludge, and make some money in the process.
As far as how thy work, yes it does take soil microbes to get the stuff working. It is supposed to be biologically dead after the processing.