PDA

View Full Version : What to use?

all ferris
02-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Hey guys, I need some help here. I have some apartment complexes that are low maintenance. The owner does not mind if I use round up around the buildings to avoid trimming. The problem, as you all know, is that I have to re spray about every 6 weeks. I want to avoid this so I would like to know what you all recommend? I have thought about SaharaDG but I'm a little hesitant to use is due to the possibility of run off. I would like something that will mix well with round up and give about 3-4 months of control. I was thinking of something that works like snapshot only in a liquid. I use snapshot preemergent in beds and have great luck with it. What product will work with round up and do the same job as snapshot? I only want to have to spray this a couple times a year because of the time involved. We have mostly cool season grasses and I'm in the transition zone close to St. louis MO. I am licensed and insured.
Thanks in advance for the replies.

all ferris
02-24-2006, 06:43 PM
pendulum????

K&L Landscaping
02-24-2006, 07:24 PM
I would AVOID Sahara at all costs. One mistake with that stuff and it's over! I simply mix in some Lesco 3.3 Pre-M and that really seems to extend the desired effect. This is a good question and I would like to see some other responses.

indyturf
02-24-2006, 07:36 PM
you could mix the pendilum with round-up, I have 1 account with lots of mulched area's and a thistle problem that I have used this mixture on. I spray it 2 times a year.

timturf
02-24-2006, 07:43 PM
surflan? depending on rate, up to 9-12 month control of broadleaf and grass

crzymow
02-25-2006, 02:27 AM
I use sahara, but only one place and it is just fence lines with no trees around. works great, but that is the only place i would use it. I tried pendulum last year, problem was didnt get much rain to get it into the soil, goin to try again this year but get it down earlier

Neal Wolbert
02-25-2006, 02:59 AM
Roundup, Gallery and Barricade is a great combo. Or go over the top with the pre's then spot treat with Roundup afterwards. Surflan is weak on broadleaf types and the staining is a bummer. No such problems with the combo.

Neal

Runner
02-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Do a search on Oryzalin. This will be your answer. It has low leaching, and you mix it according to whatever timeline you want to not have any regrowth.

all ferris
02-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Do a search on Oryzalin. This will be your answer. It has low leaching, and you mix it according to whatever timeline you want to not have any regrowth.

Thank you for the replies

all ferris
02-25-2006, 06:01 PM
Runner,
Oryzalin does not say it it for use in cool season grasses(which I have) and it costs about $100(2.5 gallon at lesco) more than pendulum. Pendulum is labled for cool season grasses and the label states 3.2 fl. oz. per 1000 for long tem control(4-8months). Oryzalin has about the same rate for long term control. Am I missing something here? Is pendulum bad or give worse results than oryzalin?
At the monment I'm really leaning toward using pendulum but I might change that decision if someone states they have had better results with another product.

Thanks

all ferris
02-25-2006, 06:01 PM
Runner,
Oryzalin does not say it it for use in cool season grasses(which I have) and it costs about $100(2.5 gallon at lesco) more than pendulum. Pendulum is labled for cool season grasses and the label states 3.2 fl. oz. per 1000 for long tem control(4-8months). Oryzalin has about the same rate for long term control. Am I missing something here? Is pendulum bad or give worse results than oryzalin?
At the monment I'm really leaning toward using pendulum but I might change that decision if someone states they have had better results with another product.

Thanks

Grassmechanic
02-25-2006, 06:47 PM
As TimTurf and Runner have said, Surflan (oryzalin) is the best product for your purpose. It is used on cool season turf with excellent season long results. Broader spectrum of weed and grass control than Pendulum. Shop around for generic oryzalin. Lesco is one of the more expensive places that I've seen it.

timturf
02-25-2006, 07:06 PM
As TimTurf and Runner have said, Surflan (oryzalin) is the best product for your purpose. It is used on cool season turf with excellent season long results. Broader spectrum of weed and grass control than Pendulum. Shop around for generic oryzalin. Lesco is one of the more expensive places that I've seen it.

Surflan isn't weak on broadleaf.

I applied around trees each year in spring, got season long control of all broadleaf and grass. This was used on gc.

can't be sprayed over active cool season turf

Grassmechanic
02-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Surflan isn't weak on broadleaf.

I applied around trees each year in spring, got season long control of all broadleaf and grass. This was used on gc.

can't be sprayed over active cool season turf
I should have stated that it does HARM cool season turf, but since AllFerris stated that he was using R-up, I didn't think he was too worried about the viability of the grass in his specific instance.:hammerhead: