PDA

View Full Version : Still P*$$es me off...

dr.lawn21
02-24-2006, 06:52 PM
although it's not a huge deal, but after sending out a sprin letter, one of my faithfull customers had this to say.........

"Dear Jeff,

I have asked a partially disabled man to do my yard work this year. He's already cleaned the yard. If anything changes I'll give you a call."

Like I said, it's not a huge account or anything but like my girlfriends always says....WHATEVER! :angry:

baddboygeorge
02-24-2006, 07:26 PM
that disabled man wont be able to handle a hot summer so she'll be callin see ya george

Jpocket
02-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Screw people like that, WHEN they call back give em a nice HIGH price on your terms, have em sign a contract.

HenryB
02-24-2006, 08:02 PM
If the guy really is disabled have a heart. Be a human being.I lost two regular mow accounts three years ago to a mentally challenged man. He doesn't do a great job, the best he can and I'm happy for him. Sometimes we forget we are human beings first and foremost. One of the nicest human beings I ever met. P.S. some jerk called the town on him last year. Really sad.

Norm Al
02-24-2006, 09:46 PM
it pisses you off that a homeowner hired whoever they wanted to hire to do their lawn?

hahahahahahaha man there has to be much bigger things in life that you could get pissed off about than that!

procut
02-24-2006, 10:08 PM
it pisses you off that a homeowner hired whoever they wanted to hire to do their lawn?

hahahahahahaha man there has to be much bigger things in life that you could get pissed off about than that!
i think its more of a principle thing.

Jpocket
02-24-2006, 10:26 PM
No I think what pisses him off is that this customer doesn't care what their lawn looks like, and the fact that he probably worked hard to do a good job, season after season.

Currier
02-24-2006, 10:34 PM
I can see why it makes you mad. You've done great work, committed yourself to personal quality, invested in insurance, commercial equipment, and you count on loyal customers to help your build your business (refferals).

Then they disrespect you (even though maybe for a good moral reason), and it is irritating. If your a fly by night screw up its one thing. But a small operator that cares not only about the lawns but also the customers that own those lawns deserves better. unfortunately, sometimes that is the way of the business.

The main consolation...usually once the season begins you NEVER miss those lawns that didn't come back.

the scaper
02-24-2006, 11:27 PM
Screw people like that, WHEN they call back give em a nice HIGH price on your terms, have em sign a contract. Bingo! Raise that price when they come back.

Olylawnboy
02-24-2006, 11:52 PM
I"m with Henry, have a heart. You'll probably have to deal with the same situation often as the years go by. Don't let it get you mad and don't think they are being disrespectfull to you. They are just trying to help someone out.
And over the years, I have found about 4 out of five call back before the first season is over. And the one out of five won't call back so they won't have to hear "I told you so". :)

Green-Pro
02-25-2006, 02:03 AM
Get over it, move forward and replace one lost with two gained. Get out and sell your services to new customers to help offset any that may decline your services this year.

Nothing is a sure thing and getting mad about things you have little or no control over is.....well.....pointless IMHO.

lawnman_scott
02-25-2006, 02:32 AM
No I think what pisses him off is that this customer doesn't care what their lawn looks like, and the fact that he probably worked hard to do a good job, season after season.
And if the customer is paid up to date whats the problem? I think some people get too attached to customers and think that they owe us something and have an obligation to be loyal to them.

Bull
02-25-2006, 03:33 AM
I had a situation similar to this a couple of years ago. I had two clients side by side and they always said that they had another guy who come by and trimmed the shrubs and did a few odd things for them. Even though I had the job of keeping the lawns mowed it still irritated me when I went there and had noticed this guy had been there before me and done some yard work for them. Later they finally let me in on the fact that this guys wife had had a stroke and he has to stay home and take care of her. On occassions someone will sit with her while he goes out and makes a few extra bucks. I felt a little better about it and realized they were trying to help him out some but what really made the difference was the week that him and I were both there at the same time and I seen the wheelchair laying in the back of his truck. Keep life in perspective because at any moment the shoe could be on the other foot.

Littleriver1
02-25-2006, 05:54 AM
It may be that, that is all the guy has. Why take it away from him? If he is playing the customer then it will come back to him.

ICE
02-25-2006, 09:52 AM
I would have to agree that when she does call back, I would just say that you are pretty busy, but I can squeeze you in for about 10% more. LOL:cool2:

crzymow
02-25-2006, 10:32 AM
its one thing to raise the price on someone if they left for another contractor if she wasnt happy and called you back, but if she is trying to help someone out down on their luck with a disablitly cut her some slack.

geogunn
02-25-2006, 10:42 AM
although it's not a huge deal, but after sending out a sprin letter, one of my faithfull customers had this to say.........

"Dear Jeff,

I have asked a partially disabled man to do my yard work this year. He's already cleaned the yard. If anything changes I'll give you a call."

Like I said, it's not a huge account or anything but like my girlfriends always says....WHATEVER!

jeff--if I felt that strongly about it I'd find out the old gents name and call the IRS rat line.

beyond that I think your GF has made a good suggestion.

GEO

HOOLIE
02-25-2006, 10:54 AM
It's better to remember this is business and not to take it in a personal way. Although there have been a few customers that have pushed my buttons here and there :)

Runner
02-25-2006, 11:04 AM
Yeah,...I say we all just go over and vandalize his vehicle and maybe evn his equipment (what little bit he must have) if we can get to it.

Listen to what you guys are saying! (I know YOU were being fecicious, geo). But the others...Getting pissed off? Wanting to RAISE their prices when they call back? (which they more than likely will - this guy isn't going to do it forever). You know, we are talking about ONE residential here...and THAT is because they have a way to help someone who is DOWN. How much capacity does HE have to go get more work, drive across town to do it, and keep everything else in perspective. You just imagine for a few moments what it (life is like for this guy). EVERY DAY this guy wakes up, and he has to face this inflistion (even though I'm sure HE doesn't consider it one like that).
And what's more than that, the residential he's doing the work on. It is more than just a house....it is not the structure, and the yard that is there...it is more the PEOPLE that live inSIDE. So, because out of the kindness of their heart, and their warmth and generosity to help somone who is not as fortunate as us,...you guys are wanting to punish them or penalize them by raising their PRICES when they come back? GOOD THINKING! THAT's the way to do it! And next time you take your family to a restaurant, you make sure you pay 10% or so more for your bill, just because you ate at a restaurant down the road earlier in the week. Make sure you do that with your barber/hairstylist if you ever have someone else cut your hair, too.
One of the GOLDEN RULES in business...and this stands for ANY business...Unless the person is just flat out to SCREW you, you NEVER take anything personally. It is just business. If you take stuff like this personally - by letting it get to you like that, than you have NO business BEING in business...of ANY sort. It will stress you out,..and it will kill you. I know of lawn services that LOSE more accounts in a season than what I am even CLOSE to having.
For those of you who are so hellbent on punishing people for doing a good thing, maybe you better take just a little longer look at the reason..It's not like they are priceshopping or screwing someone out of money by not paying a bill. And while you're at it - take two steps back, look at the big picture for a few moments...and count your blessings.....

crzymow
02-25-2006, 01:18 PM
Yeah,...I say we all just go over and vandalize his vehicle and maybe evn his equipment (what little bit he must have) if we can get to it.

Listen to what you guys are saying! (I know YOU were being fecicious, geo). But the others...Getting pissed off? Wanting to RAISE their prices when they call back? (which they more than likely will - this guy isn't going to do it forever). You know, we are talking about ONE residential here...and THAT is because they have a way to help someone who is DOWN. How much capacity does HE have to go get more work, drive across town to do it, and keep everything else in perspective. You just imagine for a few moments what it (life is like for this guy). EVERY DAY this guy wakes up, and he has to face this inflistion (even though I'm sure HE doesn't consider it one like that).
And what's more than that, the residential he's doing the work on. It is more than just a house....it is not the structure, and the yard that is there...it is more the PEOPLE that live inSIDE. So, because out of the kindness of their heart, and their warmth and generosity to help somone who is not as fortunate as us,...you guys are wanting to punish them or penalize them by raising their PRICES when they come back? GOOD THINKING! THAT's the way to do it! And next time you take your family to a restaurant, you make sure you pay 10% or so more for your bill, just because you ate at a restaurant down the road earlier in the week. Make sure you do that with your barber/hairstylist if you ever have someone else cut your hair, too.
One of the GOLDEN RULES in business...and this stands for ANY business...Unless the person is just flat out to SCREW you, you NEVER take anything personally. It is just business. If you take stuff like this personally - by letting it get to you like that, than you have NO business BEING in business...of ANY sort. It will stress you out,..and it will kill you. I know of lawn services that LOSE more accounts in a season than what I am even CLOSE to having.
For those of you who are so hellbent on punishing people for doing a good thing, maybe you better take just a little longer look at the reason..It's not like they are priceshopping or screwing someone out of money by not paying a bill. And while you're at it - take two steps back, look at the big picture for a few moments...and count your blessings.....

Well said Joe

dr.lawn21
02-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Like I said no big deal. It's just a residential. :)

dwc
02-25-2006, 07:52 PM
I had the same thing happen to me last year. A guy I had mowed for several years and did an excellent job (his yard was by far the nicest on the street) called me and told me he had some older guy that needed some work to do it. I know the guy that was doing it and he had a pretty large mowing business going so I know he did not HAVE to have the work.
The guy called later in the year, around July when it was nice and hot and the older guy was not able to do it anymore. I told him I was really busy and his yard had already been replaced long ago in my schedule.
I understand how it can make you mad, you work your tail off for these people, and in this case the guy acted like my buddy, always inviting me to go fishing with him (which I never did) and just the nicest man in the world. Then one day BOOM, they woke up with a hair brained idea and its all over.

old dog 80
02-25-2006, 08:20 PM
If the guy really is disabled have a heart. Be a human being.I lost two regular mow accounts three years ago to a mentally challenged man. He doesn't do a great job, the best he can and I'm happy for him. Sometimes we forget we are human beings first and foremost. One of the nicest human beings I ever met. P.S. some jerk called the town on him last year. Really sad.
Amen,brother!

old dog 80
02-25-2006, 08:21 PM
I"m with Henry, have a heart. You'll probably have to deal with the same situation often as the years go by. Don't let it get you mad and don't think they are being disrespectfull to you. They are just trying to help someone out.
And over the years, I have found about 4 out of five call back before the first season is over. And the one out of five won't call back so they won't have to hear "I told you so". :)
Amen brother!

old dog 80
02-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Get over it, move forward and replace one lost with two gained. Get out and sell your services to new customers to help offset any that may decline your services this year.

Nothing is a sure thing and getting mad about things you have little or no control over is.....well.....pointless IMHO.
Amen brother!

old dog 80
02-25-2006, 08:24 PM
its one thing to raise the price on someone if they left for another contractor if she wasnt happy and called you back, but if she is trying to help someone out down on their luck with a disablitly cut her some slack.
Amen brother!

old dog 80
02-25-2006, 08:32 PM
If this guy needs the work,maybe you could hire him part time.We have had good luck hiring mentally challenged for some of our work.Most clients
are impressed with that aspect of "community service" .These people are
to work on time EVERY day.Some may not work out,but if they do you
will have help for a long time!We work through a local agency who even
supplies a job coach(for free) to get the worker up and running.If it does not
work,no strings attached.

richallseasons
02-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Why so many in in an uproar,so you lost an account to a disabled man , whats the problem? it frees up a little time in your route and gives a disabled man something to look forward to.maybe the worst thing to come from this is you replace it with another that is all the better,but you must remember this--you get what you give -- meaning you can choose to be pissed and carry anger and negativity with you and this may cause you to miss or not see another opportunity or you can find a positive look at the situation and bring more positive and rewarding experiences to yourself and in turn others around you- please don't think I'm preaching but you will be happier and less stressed if you try to remain positive:)

brucec32
02-25-2006, 08:47 PM
Before you bestow sainthood on these former customers, go see what they're paying the new guy. I bet it's peanuts. There is a lot of greed out there that is passed off as "helping others". I know a case of someone who used a cross eyed guy to mow her lawn for decades. He'd get $20 or so to mow a huge 2 acre lot that was maybe 30% lawn, with a 21" mower. He was doing it into his 70's, limping along with the mower. Meanwhile, she had diamonds the size of golf balls on her hands. Her house sold for $550,000 after she passed away. But you see, since he wasn't going to be able to go get a regular job, she felt justified in paying him about half the market price.

This isn't just done by individuals.

I had a relative who ran a business that used prison labor. They tried to portray it as giving prisoners a chance to learn skills. But it was really just that they only had to pay way below minimum wage for the labor, and of course the prisoners themselves would only receive a few pennies of that to buy luxuries with, the rest went to the state to pay for their upkeep. Besides, how much skill did one learn assembling plastic parts together? An arguable concept with pros and cons, but they were too full of it to just admit they'd found a cheaper way to get the work done. Meanwhile, all those jobs didn't go to honest Americans. Nobody forced them to pay way below market value, did they?

Then go look at those who argue for mass immigration and justify it as a way to 'help others have a good life", as if they're some sort of saintly missionaries or something, not just businessmen looking for an edge, however unpatriotic. Yet you'll notice they never pay MORE than Americans would work for to do the work, but much less. Ask yourself, if they're such charitible guys, how come they're not overpaying them and keeping everyone's wages high? They're just short sighted self-interested people looking for a competitive advantage.

Everyone looks for an advantage, but they're BSing about their motivations. They just lack the courage to admit that steadily lowering wages for millions of Americans, overcrowding the cities, jamming roads with traffic, using up more of our resources, causing social or cultural conflict, etc, is fine with them as long as they get the job done on time and get paid. It takes a lot more character to admit this about one's self than most possess.