PDA

View Full Version : 1st app on new accounts

hmartin
02-24-2006, 06:55 PM
I have picked up 3 new accounts this week that are in similar shape. They have not had any weed control or fertilizer in many years. The lawns are about half common bermuda with lots of winter annuals in the areas that the bermuda was the thinnest last year. I am thinking that the areas with little of no dormant bermuda were mostly crabgrass last summer. I know the winter annuals will be easy to get rid of. I am looking toward the summer. My concern is the bare spots where I think there was a lot of crabgrass and almost no bermuda last summer. The label says that pedimethalin is for well established turf, and I am thinking this probably true of most pre-m's. Should I not spray these areas with pre-m, and just encourage the bermuda across with a good fert program and use MSMA or Drive when the crabgrass starts, or should I blanket the lawn with pre-m? Will pre-m slow the bermuda root spread across the areas with thin bermuda cover? The lawns are not shady.
Does anyone mind sharing their plan of action when picking up a lawn in that almost needs to be totally renovated? I

SodKing
02-24-2006, 07:11 PM
I'll say it...

Are you licensed to spray pesticides?

hmartin
02-24-2006, 07:28 PM
I'll say it, Yes. I admit that I don't know everything, that is why I asked this question.

SodKing
02-24-2006, 08:15 PM
We'll ok then. To newly seeded areas you can apply a product called Siduron or Tupersan (same chemical). The control lasts about 3 weeks and then you can re-apply. At the end of the six weeks the grass should be established enough to apply a conventional pre emergent.

Living in the Northeast, I am not familiar with bermuda so you should check the label as for the proper time after seeded inteval.

hmartin
02-24-2006, 09:31 PM
I am not looking to reseed. Bermuda has excellent spreading characteristics. I want to know how much, if any, is pendimethalin going to slow the stolon and rhizome growth of the bermuda. I have read a lot of posts about root pruning and am interested to know if anyone thinks that pendimethalin, dimension, or barricade will slow the spread of bermuda. An example would be if you had a big patch of dallisgrass in a bermuda lawn and killed it with MSMA, and then you want the bermuda to fill in the area quickly. Will the bermuda fill in faster if there had been no pre-emerge applied in that area. I apologize if this is a dumb question. I know that reseeding may be the best route but these people aren't going to go to that expense, I have to make the best out of the situation that I have.

indyturf
02-24-2006, 09:52 PM
I dont think the pre-m will effect the spreading of the Bermuda. but if you are wanting to seed I would just skip the pre-m, go ahead with seeding and starter fert. mow high this summer and that will help keep the crabgrass to a min. then if you need to you can spot treat the crabgrass this summer. aerate and seed again in the early fall if necessary

SodKing
02-24-2006, 10:25 PM
I think I should refer you to Ric. Look him up and ask him, he is the warm season expert on the site.

Dallas Turf
02-25-2006, 12:49 AM
Round 1 simazine with N & K, now,

Round 2 Pendi or dimension with more N & K, in 6 weeks

If there is any bermuda in the area it will fill in through those apps. Keep the weeds and crabgrass out to reduce the competition and it will fill in quickly. It is bermuda it will fill in.

ThreeWide
02-25-2006, 08:19 AM
If you had asked this in January, things would have been much easier. Weed control in Bermuda becomes a little more risky as you get closer to Spring. Most of the commonly used weed control products sometimes slow the greenup process. Pendimethalin should only be used on well established and healthy turf.

Based on what you described, this might be a plan of action. At the expense of controlling weeds, you probably will see some delay in greenup. In this case, it sounds warranted.

Now...Simazine (1 lb/A or 0.75 oz/M) + Barricade (0.5 lb/A or 0.4 oz/M WDG) You can also include an ester-based broadleaf control in this mix.

After greenup occurs ... N + K (1 lbs N/M) every 2 weeks until the Bermuda has covered the area. This should be primarily quick release N. Yes this is heavy on N, but you will be suprised how quickly the Bermuda will fill in. I once applied 1 lb of N on a weekly basis during grow-in.

Once the greenup process is complete, you can spray a broadleaf control product such as Trimec if necessary. Don't spray it during greenup, because the turf is very sensitive during that time.

hmartin
02-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Thanks TurfUnlimited for helping me out.

ThreeWide
02-25-2006, 08:34 AM
Just noticed I made a mistake with the Barricade numbers.

It should have been 0.5 lbs/A or 0.2 oz/M. You would need to do a second application at the same rate in May, as this is a split rate.