PDA

View Full Version : Exmark vs. Gravely

mamagreg
02-24-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm looking into buying a ZTR with a 36" to 40" deck. Looking to cut a few residences, but not doing this full time. I have a friend who has a 40" Gravely and loves it. I asked him about the EXmark, and he said that the Exmark was too heavy and will make ruts. What is the opinions of others on this site. Please give me the "skinny" on these two mowers.

Jay Ray
02-24-2006, 08:56 PM
A commercial ztr will always be considerably heavier than a commercial wb with the same size deck, plus the ztr has the weight of the operator.

If you are worried about rutting, a wb will do far less rutting.

I base this on experience. I use a 48 Metro wb and sometimes a guy with a Scag 48 Tiger Cub would be mowing adjacent lawns in the same neighborhood. If it had rained the day before, he rutted, I didn't.

jtkplc
02-24-2006, 09:13 PM
I think the cut quality will be a touch better with the Exmark and there is also a bigger engine on the 34" Phazer (19HP Kawasaki) compared to the Gravely 34Z (15HP Kawasaki), but both are solidly built and will get the job done.

Tider6972
02-24-2006, 10:17 PM
The PM34Z Gravely has a superior hydraulics system. It also has a 5" deep deck and leaves a beautiful cut.

I luuv power, but the 15 Kaw does well even mulching thich, damp St. Augustine and Bermuda.

The Gravely is proven; we don't know how the Phazer will cut yet.

Just food for thought.

Tim Wright
02-24-2006, 10:43 PM
I do not have personal experience with either machine. However, I was speaking to a couple of guys with 4 gravelies. And each one of them had blown spindal seals more than once in just a couple of months.

Thats all I know, or rather kind of know.

Tim