PDA

View Full Version : Questions about being licensed in TN

Precision Lawns
02-24-2006, 07:44 PM
I've tried to figure this out by looking at the state website, and it may as well be in Greek. I can't figure out what I need to do or how much it will cost to get licensed to do spraying on residential lawns in TN. Which exams do I need to take? Do I need a charter? Do I need to be bonded? Has anyone been through this who can steer me where I need to look? We're looking into this for the 2007 season, so I've got some time, and I'm going to call the Tenn Dept. of Agriculture, but I was just wondering if someone could tell me in English what the rules are for this. Again, this is just for residential - we have no commercial properties yet. And we intend to start very small with the fertilizing so we don't get in over our heads. Thanks.

Lawnmasters
02-25-2006, 05:54 PM
First you have to qualify to take the exam to get licensed. Qualification is by application to the state. They will notify you if you can even take the test. If you get to take the test it is category 3 HLT. Fairly large test, 100 questions followed by a 100 sample Identification test. (at least in 90 when I took it) I have been told they are making it harder to weed out a few who don't belong in the business. Before you can even take the test, you have to have liability insurance to cover you for spraying pesticides, and bonded for 10,000. If you pass the test, then you apply to the state for your charter. Cost is 440.00 for 2 years, plus 40.00 for each person who is certified under your charter to work for you. Oh, yeah, cost to take the test is $150.00 (again, I think unless they raised it)

If you have any questions PM or email me.
Good luck,