PDA

View Full Version : 6" Main Line Repair

PurpHaze
02-24-2006, 10:31 PM
Here was this morning's project. Everything went smoothly and not much damage to the field. Quite boring actually. :laugh:

PurpHaze
02-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Picture set #2.

PurpHaze
02-24-2006, 10:36 PM
Last pictures on the repairs.

Dirty Water
02-24-2006, 10:59 PM
Did the water do any damage to the wiring?

gusbuster
02-24-2006, 11:05 PM
Do you ever get a day without a break in a water line? :)

Do you work for a school district?

advanced irrigation
02-25-2006, 12:44 AM
is that IPS or PIP pipe? you guys crack me up, i have been in the ag related irrigation feild for close to 10 years and i have seen the pictures you have taken at least twice a week. at least you had a backhoe.:weightlifter:

PurpHaze
02-25-2006, 12:45 AM
Did the water do any damage to the wiring?

No damage of wiring from the water. However, we caught this leak quite early before it really caused any big problems. The guy operating the backhoe (Hogie) snagged two wires on the left side and pulled them just a little but that's as much my fault as anything. I spotted the wires on the right side and thought they all ran there so that's why I had him open up the left side for our working area. I fired all zones on this clock after the repairs were completed and made sure everything still worked fine.

PurpHaze
02-25-2006, 12:48 AM
Do you ever get a day without a break in a water line? :)

Very rarely. Some leaks are bigger than others but there is always something to do. I have a dry erase board in my office where we track which sites have backflows or other isolation valves shut down. The list can be quite long at times. :)

Do you work for a school district?

Yes. Forty-one sites with a new school opening in the fall.

PurpHaze
02-25-2006, 12:53 AM
is that IPS or PIP pipe?

IPS or NPS... standard fittings until I get into some old 5" PVC or welded well casing which is odd. Then things get really interesting. We also have a lot of rough barrel and milled end transite in the ground that can be tricky.

you guys crack me up, i have been in the ag related irrigation feild for close to 10 years and i have seen the pictures you have taken at least twice a week. at least you had a backhoe.:weightlifter:

The backhoe was purchased a couple years ago and as far as I'm concerned it's more than paid for itself. Still hoping they will spend the 10k and buy the trencher attachment for when we install main lines. :)

koster_irrigation
02-26-2006, 08:27 AM
that looked like some good diggin dirt!!

btw, do you know why they didnt use a gasketed mainline

PurpHaze
02-26-2006, 12:10 PM
that looked like some good diggin dirt!!

This school is situated right next to a river so the soil is quite sandy. In the pictures that show the home run fence the levee can be seen in the distance. The soil had just the right amount of moisture that we backfilled with it instead of new sand.

btw, do you know why they didnt use a gasketed mainline

I really don't know. That would have been my choice also but this was put in by district plumbers originally so all bets are off.

PurpHaze
02-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Second main line repair was completed yesterday at the same high school. This one was about 1000' west of the 6" leak and was near the varsity softball field. Failure of a bell fitting was the culprit but roots from a nearby tree could have been the cause. What was nice was this leak was just across the fence from our yard area so we were basically working at the shop and had it done before break time. This 4" section of the main also supplies the irrigation for our yard.

aquamtic
02-28-2006, 09:56 AM
What type of connectors are you using to connect the repair piece?

PurpHaze
03-01-2006, 09:13 AM
What type of connectors are you using to connect the repair piece?

Those are "Genuine Dresser Coupling" repair couplings. Each one of them has a sticker proudly proclaiming this on their barrel. :dancing:

Instant Rain
03-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Nice cleanup. I've seen a 6" slip fix. even used a few with success glad to see you used dresser coupling though.

PurpHaze
03-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Nice cleanup. I've seen a 6" slip fix. even used a few with success glad to see you used dresser coupling though.

I've seen a 6" slip fix before. It was a couple of years ago and it had been used as a main line repair by someone else until it leaked. In went the dresser couplings. :laugh:

BTW... I was by this site yesterday and I parked along the outside of the home run fence to take a look at the recovery. I almost couldn't find the repair spot because it was overseeded and with the rain/sun weather we've had has already germinated. I almost couldn't find the repair spot.