PDA

View Full Version : Please help me get started

A Way With Nature
02-24-2006, 11:45 PM
Hey all,

I need some help.
I have done a few hardscaping jobs through the years, but always easy flat projects that included standard brick pavers with typical patterns.
For some reason in the last week I picked up two no bid paver jobs and am looking for advice on both. I will start with this one.

Here goes with the first one.
My client picked out the pavers at a local place that deals in overruns from manufacters and contractors. We have came up with two diffrent size rounded edge cobblestone pavers that will make the pattern. The patio will consist two levels for a total of appro. 500 Sq Ft. I have included pics that might help. The upper level will include the area between the grill and concrete stoop, the lower level will start just to the right of the concrete stoop and go to where the hot tub is. The stakes and string in the picture was only to keep the dogs out, the patio will be several feet out from there.

My questions:

1. Can I build the step/wall between levels out of the cobble pavers? and how do I build the step ie. pattern, glue the stones together?
How tall should the step be?

2. If so, do I build the step/wall then then excavate and install upper pavers before the lower?

3. Do I excavate the whole site at once or one level at a time?

4. Does anyone have pictures of a similar project they can share?

Sorry I am somewhat lost.
I may have more questions later...so thanks in advance for any help.

Kelly

klkanders
02-25-2006, 12:45 AM
You could use retaining wall and or glued step block to divide your areas. Looks like the area between hot tub and house needs to be raised with dirt and plantings. This could be a raised planting area level with stoop and top of upper paver area. Put retaining wall from edge of house next to hot tub slab and following slab on both sides where steps are going into tub making 3 - 90 degree turns total and then heading back to corner of house by grill depending where you dive into grade. This wall will hold your upper patio. Lower level patio would butt into wall and be same level as hot tub pad. Hard to tell from pic but by doing this the upper patio would be about level with the current top step going in to tub. Less steps Much nicer!

Hope that made sense. Any questions just ask.

A Way With Nature
02-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Klanders,

Thanks for the response.

I had not thought of the idea that mentioned about the raised planter and 3 walls at 90degree angles. Thankfully my client is very fluid and understanding about this project. So I threw out those and other ideas today. Thanks.
###
Weather here was mild today, so I went ahead and got things started today. I did not mention it in the earlier post but stoop planned to be removed, did that today and striped the sod. Also started to dig grade on upper level.

As I currently am only part time i won't get started again till next weekend and , the excitment is killing me as I really enjoy projects like this. And I will also be moving out the hot tub.

Posted pics of the progress.
Looking for comments as I go. Thanks

jreiff
02-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Looks like you got a good start on it. Are you doing all the excavating by hand? What are you going to do with all the sod that you have?

Keep the pictures coming. They always help.

A Way With Nature
02-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Yes excavating by hand, fun! But access limited so not a lot of choice.
I have a dump trailer, will haul the sod to the dump. Hopefully before it rains!
More pics next week.

klkanders
02-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Nature
Can I ask why Hot Tub is being moved? Is it because the pad was originally poured too low? Is it being put back or somewhere else? Keep the pictures coming.

klkanders
02-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Also are you going to use the retaining wall block to create your upper level?
What is the difference in height going to be between the two levels?

A Way With Nature
03-05-2006, 07:25 PM
KlKanders/All,

Pictures might be a bit deceiving, the hot tub was just temporarily set by the client on square patio stone, I have since moved them and the hot tub.

After much rangling the client decided on one level patio, and will build a retaining wall out of 6 X 6 cedar that will tie in to existing arbor structure.(not shown in pics)

But at least this weekend I was able to finish excavation and place the first lift of base(4 ton by wheelbarrow),just in time to beat snow/rain today. On Friday hope to build retaining wall and continue arbor, run the downspout, run wire for hot tub and finish placement of #53's.

Having fun so far. Pics attached. What do you think?

klkanders
03-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Its looking good! You gotta love wheelin all that material huh? It will all be worth it when its done. Keep those pics coming!

cgland
03-05-2006, 10:46 PM
I don't think you excavated nearly enough. (from what I can see)

Chris

neversatisfiedj
03-06-2006, 08:47 AM
I was thinking the same thing Chris. Looks like he just removed the sod.

amvega
03-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Are you ICPI certified? If not I suggest you take the next available class. I don't think you excavated nearly enough. Also you don't have any kind of separation fabric between your base and compacted soil. It also looks like you have the ground sloping toward the screen patio. You might want to look over some details before laying pavers. How much stone are you putting down too? Not trying to bust on you, but it guys like you that give us guys that do it all the time bad business. If you're going to do it, at-least do it right.

mrusk
03-06-2006, 06:24 PM
At first i thought he did not have enough base, then i re read his post and he said it was only his first lift. Its looks like he has enough heighroom to get a good 6in base if the top of the pavers is even with the door sill.

He should of put down fabric first anyways.